Question about Fusion Reactors.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I'm trying to redesign a self-sufficient Fusion Reactor and I'm having a bit of a problem with supplying enough power to MFSU Modules linked to Industrial Centrifuges.

My first attempt with lots of power blew up half of the reactor...OOPS! :oops:

Now, I'm thinking I need HV Transformers connected to MV Transformers and then to the MFSU's.

I have 2 Transformer and 3 Overclocker Upgrades in each Centrifuge, but sometimes I get the "Insufficient Energy" Warning.

Does anyone know how much EU that Centrifuge set-up needs and what modules I need to put into the factory to provide it?

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
OK, having a big problem...my cables keep burning out.

zhk0.png

Any ideas on what I can attach to that set-up that won't explode?

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
connect each PGen to a dedicated HV Transformer?

Your only other option is Superexpensiveconductor Wire

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Tried Superconductive wire and no power flows through it. Will probably have to do what you suggested, still wish I could keep it neat.

PieExplosion

Jul 29, 2019
I think you're completely underestimating just how ****ing terrible overclocker upgrades are in GT machines. I suggest redesigning to use ZERO overclockers.

Edit: Unless you're trying to build a fusion reactor to SPEND energy. No. Wait. Then you could just fusion-make Iridium instead. You're better off just redesigning.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
You're consuming 320 eu/t per centrif with 3 OVs btw.

In 1.5 (I'm prolly wrong) I think OVs now are the same as normal IC2.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
I think you're completely underestimating just how ****ing terrible overclocker upgrades are in GT machines. I suggest redesigning to use ZERO overclockers.

Edit: Unless you're trying to build a fusion reactor to SPEND energy. No. Wait. Then you could just fusion-make Iridium instead. You're better off just redesigning.

Redesigning to use zero overclockers in the GregTech Machines means they go too slow to keep up with the reactor's consumption of Deuterium and Tritium. They have to match the pace for the whole Reactor system to be fully self sustaining. Once enough Helium Plasma is produced, the Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panels and Inter-Dimensional Storage Unit can be removed for TRUE Self-Sustainability.

But have at least one IDSU placed somewhere to keep all that stored energy for use in other places.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Redesigning to use zero overclockers in the GregTech Machines means they go too slow to keep up with the reactor's consumption of Deuterium and Tritium. They have to match the pace for the whole Reactor system to be fully self sustaining. Once enough Helium Plasma is produced, the Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panels and Inter-Dimensional Storage Unit can be removed for TRUE Self-Sustainability.

But have at least one IDSU placed somewhere to keep all that stored energy for use in other places.

Make 32 industrial electrolysers and 144 industrial centrifuges. Self sufficiency achieved.

Reactions: Riuga

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Make 32 industrial electrolysers and 144 industrial centrifuges. Self sufficiency achieved.

I can understand the 32 Industrial Electrolysers, but don't you think 144 Industrial Centrifuges is too much? If it works, that's good. But it would take up a lot of space and would need a place of their own.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Never OC a continual running machine past 128 eu/t, it is unsustainable. Non-oced,, the centrifuges burn about 720 EU/t and the electrolyzers 4096eu/t for about 8% of your power draw from fusion. If you OC the centrifuges once the half-quad calculation means you're burning 1560 EU/t on centrifuges raising the number to 10%. If you double OC the centrifuges this jumps up to 3020 EU/t for like 12 or 13%. When you get up to 3 like you have, its closer to 18-20%. Its especially painful when you OC the electrolyzers...don't do it for either unless you have multiple reactors and are looking to cut down machine lag.

For my current setup, I run everything on 512 with transformer upgrades and use transformers to down step the plasma gens then hook them directly up to the lines with no mfsu or device in line. My work-around for possible drag is to install a battery upgrade to each machine so it functions as its own MFE (1 lithium batt shoud do it). This way you don't need large banks of MFSUs for the machines even if OCed (you would need 13 for 3xOCed centrifuges). Just be exceptionally careful when adding new machines, prime the upgrades somewhere else and pick em up if you can't move cable

Your problem might be from thinking 3 transformer upgrades make a machine EV. You need 2 transformers and 1 hv-transformer upgrade.

If you are concerned about space, use a router with bandwidth to distribute centrifuging and electrolyzing supplies and another bandwidth router to extract product.

Also,, BUILD A ROOF

Reactions: Riuga

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Never OC a continual running machine past 128 eu/t, it is unsustainable. Non-oced,, the centrifuges burn about 720 EU/t and the electrolyzers 4096eu/t for about 8% of your power draw from fusion. If you OC the centrifuges once the half-quad calculation means you're burning 1560 EU/t on centrifuges raising the number to 10%. If you double OC the centrifuges this jumps up to 3020 EU/t for like 12 or 13%. When you get up to 3 like you have, its closer to 18-20%. Its especially painful when you OC the electrolyzers...don't do it for either unless you have multiple reactors and are looking to cut down machine lag.

For my current setup, I run everything on 512 with transformer upgrades and use transformers to down step the plasma gens then hook them directly up to the lines with no mfsu or device in line. My work-around for possible drag is to install a battery upgrade to each machine so it functions as its own MFE (1 lithium batt shoud do it). This way you don't need large banks of MFSUs for the machines even if OCed (you would need 13 for 3xOCed centrifuges). Just be exceptionally careful when adding new machines, prime the upgrades somewhere else and pick em up if you can't move cable

Your problem might be from thinking 3 transformer upgrades make a machine EV. You need 2 transformers and 1 hv-transformer upgrade.

If you are concerned about space, use a router with bandwidth to distribute centrifuging and electrolyzing supplies and another bandwidth router to extract product.

Also,, BUILD A ROOF

You said I needed 2 transformers and one hv transformer upgrade, those are the block right?

How many transformer upgrades do you have in the electrolysers and centrifuges? And how many of those machines do you have?

And a roof is not needed as it's a test world in a desert.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Type upgrade in NEI. The red transformer upgrade will only take a machine to 512, so you need 2 in each centrifuge and 1 in each electrolyzer for 512. The blue transformer upgrade is gregtech specific for taking machines beyond 512eu/t, and you need one of them on top of aforementioned upgrades to jump the accepted energy to 2048eu/t. Make a portable scanner to test your machines, it will tell you the accepted energy level.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Type upgrade in NEI. The red transformer upgrade will only take a machine to 512, so you need 2 in each centrifuge and 1 in each electrolyzer for 512. The blue transformer upgrade is gregtech specific for taking machines beyond 512eu/t, and you need one of them on top of aforementioned upgrades to jump the accepted energy to 2048eu/t. Make a portable scanner to test your machines, it will tell you the accepted energy level.

Thanks, I'll try that. But how many Centrifuges and Electrolsers do you have?

Oh, and what cabling should I use?

And I shouldn't Overclock ANY of those machines, right?

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
I can understand the 32 Industrial Electrolysers, but don't you think 144 Industrial Centrifuges is too much? If it works, that's good. But it would take up a lot of space and would need a place of their own.

Too much? This is GregTech! This is the exact amount required to supply a fusion reactor with all the mats needed and be self sufficient. Additionally, you need around 5 Aquaeous Accumulators to provide the water.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Too much? This is GregTech! This is the exact amount required to supply a fusion reactor with all the mats needed and be self sufficient. Additionally, you need around 5 Aquaeous Accumulators to provide the water.

Thought I can do it with less....aw crap.

But my water supply is a 5x5x5 Xycraft tank fed by 20 Xychorium Water blocks.

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
copy&paste from another reactor thread that I replied to:

The main recipe is deuterium + tritium cells which produces 1 helium plasma cell. The process takes 128 ticks and the cell can be turned into 8192k EU in a plasma generator, so this gives you 64000 EU/t. (requires 31.25 plasma generators)
However the fusion process requires 4096 EU/t to keep the reactor heated up, so you effectively get 59904 EU/t.

Let's look at the fuel production:
You will need 1 tritium and 1 deuterium every 128 ticks = 6.4 seconds. 1 tritium needs 4 deuterium in a centrifuge and 1 deuterium needs 4 hydrogen cells in a centrifuge. Each process takes 150 seconds so you'll need a lot of centrifuges to keep up with the reactor!
How many?
144 !! :)
24 centrifuges for deuterium to tritium (150 seconds / 24 = 6.25 seconds) for which you'll need 24*4=96 centrifuges turning hydrogen into deuterium.
another 24 centrifuges turning hydrogen into deuterium for the reactor itself
so:
120 centrifuges for hydrogen to deuterium and
24 centrifuges for deuterium to tritium

Now we also need to create all that hydrogen.
To make it short: you need 30 electrolyzers for that. (5*4 hydrogen / 6.4 seconds ~ 30*4 hydrogen /38 seconds)

so assuming you are not using overclocked machines:
144 centrifuges * 5 EU/t + 30 electrolyzers * 120 EU/t =4320 EU/t for fuel production.
This results in a total EU gain of 55584 EU/t. (a little bit more than that, because we have a very small fuel overproduction)

Regarding overclockers:

Each overclocker cuts the processing time in half and doubles the energy required per process.* (so the EU/t goes up by a factor of 4)
Personally I'm using 3 overclockers in each of the centrifuges, which cuts down the required number of centrifuges to 18, which is quite reasonable for the server to handle. (Overclocking the electrolyzers would obviously be a bad idea.)
The total power consumption of the centrifuges goes up by a factor of 8 so my fuel production needs 5*144*8 EU/t + 120*30 Eu/t = 9360 EU/t so about double of the design with 144 centrifuges.
Thus my total energy gain with this system is about 50000 EU/t.

TLDR: use 30 electrolyzers without OCs and 18 centrifuges with 3 OCs each (will require HV so you will need to use some transformer upgrades)

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019

On a server, you can easily crash a server without using overclockers. You need well over a 100 centrifuges alone, and then all the generators, transformers, wiring, electrolyzers, etc.

Even with routers (no pipe item lag, instant item transfer), apparantly it lagged the server I was playing on nearly to death when the server owner tried automating one.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
OK, thanks guys. That put me on the right track.

@Swoop: If I added a few more electrolysers and centrifuges, would I be producing more then enough Tritium and Deuterium? Would it require more power to run?

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm.... I'm not sure if I understand your question right.
With the numbers I posted above you would produce a tiny bit more fuel than you need. (However it is advisable that you turn on the system in steps, meaning you first let it build up some hydrogen, then turn on the deuterium production, let that build up a bit, etc.... or otherwise the system might get unstable because the material distribution will never work perfectly)

If you have less then the required number of centrifuges/electrolyzers the system would still be energy positive, but you would have to run the reactor in cycles and thus the EU/t output would be a lot less. (If the cycle is too short you would loose energy because it takes 40 million energy to start the reaction each cycle)

If you use more than required you will simply build up your fuel reserve quicker but on the long term it won't require more energy once the fuel tanks are filled up and the system is at an equilibrium.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Uhm.... I'm not sure if I understand your question right.
With the numbers I posted above you would produce a tiny bit more fuel than you need. (However it is advisable that you turn on the system in steps, meaning you first let it build up some hydrogen, then turn on the deuterium production, let that build up a bit, etc.... or otherwise the system might get unstable because the material distribution will never work perfectly)

If you have less then the required number of centrifuges/electrolyzers the system would still be energy positive, but you would have to run the reactor in cycles and thus the EU/t output would be a lot less. (If the cycle is too short you would loose energy because it takes 40 million energy to start the reaction each cycle)

If you use more than required you will simply build up your fuel reserve quicker but on the long term it won't require more energy once the fuel tanks are filled up and the system is at an equilibrium.

OK, thanks. Redesigning it again for maximum efficiency.