Quarry vs. hand digging

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you use quarry or hand dig?

• Total voters

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I'd only automine if I could get ore blocks (like coal ore and diamond ore and stuff). Greg gives me extra shinies when I do that.

Sent from boobs (because why not?)
Use an Arcane Bore with a silk touch pickaxe and BAM you have automated silky mining.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Use an Arcane Bore with a silk touch pickaxe and BAM you have automated silky mining.

That is a lot of work for just trees.

Maybe if you are building a Etho style tree farm sure. But it does not really help all that much when just clearing trees.

Fahrun

Jul 29, 2019
I usually hand-dig. Even when I have the option for quarries.. I usually run them and let them be while I go cave exploring and pick the exposed ore out of the walls. I strangely enjoy the monotony of mining. An MPS generally makes it easier however :D.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Found an interesting method in the 1.5.2 pack, using Twilight Forest. Use a jetpack (or similar flying device) to explore a load of the leaf dungeons and pick up some miner trees. Plant on the large hollow hills, throw down an chunk loader and wait for the tree to pull the masses of goodies out of the ground for you to pick up.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Found an interesting method in the 1.5.2 pack, using Twilight Forest. Use a jetpack (or similar flying device) to explore a load of the leaf dungeons and pick up some miner trees. Plant on the large hollow hills, throw down an chunk loader and wait for the tree to pull the masses of goodies out of the ground for you to pick up.
You clever bastard. I like you.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You clever bastard. I like you.

The ease of it feels line cheating, but it's entirely done within one of the mods (aside from the flying thing), so any balance issues are self contained. It takes a little while, but is definately useful. Got me masses of lapis for my tinkers tools, and restocked my supplies ready for the automation of the quarries.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Lasers:

I made this to test how different focuses work, it didn't run really long. PC wrote that this is for a player to discover, so I decided to test it and not check in source. I use 4 prechargers and about 400 MJ/t per laser, but I think they can take more power now. They are great source of quartz.

Are the lasers not in the 1.5.2 beta? I can't find anything regarding them :X

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019

Sweet hell, man. I must actually play some Twilight Forest now.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet hell, man. I must actually play some Twilight Forest now.

Yeah, I wander back to the hill every now and again, and dutifully overfill my mining pack each time. Not a huge amount of diamonds, but masses of iron, redstone and lapis. Bits of gold, and a few emeralds. Also large amounts of copper and other mods stuff. And that's just 1 hill, and it's not finished yet.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I wander back to the hill every now and again, and dutifully overfill my mining pack each time. Not a huge amount of diamonds, but masses of iron, redstone and lapis. Bits of gold, and a few emeralds. Also large amounts of copper and other mods stuff. And that's just 1 hill, and it's not finished yet.

Lapis and iron are my bottlenecks. Even with Magical Crops, I never seem to have enough. My first few trips to the nether are exclusively trips for colbalt, ardite and nether lapis.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I like to trench-mine. I use a quarry to cut a 6x64 trench, and I spend a lot of time in there Fortune picking and working the walls while it works.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I like to trench-mine. I use a quarry to cut a 6x64 trench, and I spend a lot of time in there Fortune picking and working the walls while it works.

That's actually something I've never thought of doing. I must do this.