Quarry vs. hand digging

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Do you use quarry or hand dig?

• Total voters

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Personally when I do branch mining I lay extra torches to light my path home so it's easier to see which way to goes my ladder. For caving it depends on the size, but I use a mixture of torches and signs that point to the exit. This can also be coupled with placing other unnatural blocks in repeating patterns to help find your way back (such as placing wood inset into the floor or wall of the cave).

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
Manual Mine until you get 600 of each shard. Make 600 crystal clusters. Attach them to a frame setup. Make ~50 crystal capacitor. Attach them to the frame setup. Arcane Bore Eff V Silk Touch Potency III Charging II Repair II. Automation. (Optional) ~50 purify bees. Nuf said.

I thought of something else (Not tested, but it should work):

Frame setup. Deployers. Vajra + Silk touch in each. Fusion Reactor. Automation. Nuf said.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

droid20

Jul 29, 2019
Manual Mine until you get 600 of each shard. Make 600 crystal clusters. Attach them to a frame setup. Make ~50 crystal capacitor. Attach them to the frame setup. Arcane Bore Eff V Silk Touch Potency III Charging II Repair II. Automation. (Optional) ~50 purify bees. Nuf said.

I thought of something else (Not tested, but it should work):

Frame setup. Deployers. Vajra + Silk touch in each. Fusion Reactor. Automation. Nuf said.
That's gotta be a big as frame machine to get a fusion reactor on there, especially with the new one.

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I mostly mine by hand. Sometimes I'll throw an IC2 miner down, or a turtle, but I really do prefer to go cavin.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
everything i do from start is in the goal of getting a quarry. in vanilla mc, i built 3 underground cities at or exceeding 120x120x30, all hand dug, so i've had enough. also, some mods are designed with quarry yields in mind, mainly ic2/gt. good luck trying to run a 40 uranium/day reactor system or getting enough chrome without one.

id rather spend my time building or teching. quarries are my godsend, being a builder who likes survival and also likes the freedom hoarded resource options give.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
What I meant was, mass transferring of lapotrons from a fusion reactor.

EDIT: deployer + vajra crashes your game

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
Well last Server Time we used Quarrys and Frame Quarrys, build everything an except for cosmetic creation it was done. So next time we restart (1.6) we will only use manual mining (UU Mater will also be limited).
I see it this way it is even heavy modded still called MINEcraft.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Hand tools- with the right tools its easy to get the stuff you want without a river of rubbish.
6x hunter's backpack, 12x miners backpack, thaumium pick (Eff V, Unb III, Repair II and silk touch), and a destruction catalyst.​
Probably the least underused tool in the modpack- the catalyst actually destroys dirt/cobble ect- so you dont have the problems with your inv getting filled with dirt.
It also works instantly- so you can dig faster than any mining machine/tool- and never waste an ore block.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
When I'm mining, I'm gathering resources and then when I'm not mining, I'm usually consuming those resources.

When I'm running a quarry, I'm gathering resources all the time. I saw someone rage at a well known youtuber in their video comment section, accusing them of being a cheater because they had 5 stacks of iron blocks. At that time, I had around 20 stacks of iron blocks. The manual miner's sense of quantity scale is very different from the quarry miner. I also enjoy manual mining but I do it when I want to, never because I have to in order to continue with a project. The manual miner tends to see themselves as 'done' when they've built all of the processing and sorting machines they want. They simply don't generate enough materials to take on projects on much more of a grand scale. When you've got gold chests full of resources and you start thinking about clever ways to use them, the "end-game" opens up rather dramatically.

It's a playstyle thing. You wouldn't know from looking at any part of the overworld on my current map that I've pillaged the mountains under my facilities on a rather vast scale. At the end of the day, letting quarries handle the bulk of my resource gathering frees me to decide what I want to do. If that happens to include some caving or ransacking of abandoned mineshafts, I can do that. I can do all sorts of other things, too, and have the materials to make it happen.

Reactions: SpoonsV

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you care about AE materials, there is no substitute for hand digging with a fortune pick and a pair of sonar goggles. Quarries, Steve's Carts and most other auto-miners never yield more than 1 crystal or dust. Not cool.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Lasers:
FZEOyJL.png

I made this to test how different focuses work, it didn't run really long. PC wrote that this is for a player to discover, so I decided to test it and not check in source. I use 4 prechargers and about 400 MJ/t per laser, but I think they can take more power now. They are great source of quartz.

Reactions: YX33A

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
They can take up to 1024mj/t. Which is a LOT of MJ. Their output is pretty damn epic though.

Thoraisius

Jul 29, 2019
If RP2 is there frame mining machines all the way wether its with block breakers or mining wells

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Yep! Pretty sure there is, just called "dynamite" and crafted with iTNT and string. Also a sticky variation by adding sticky resin. Blows up perfectly square 3x3 holes too.

I want a TNT quarry now. I'd just manually grab the stuff in the end.

On second thought, no. It's too much entity lag with that much junk.

3^2 or 3^3 ?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I use a mix of TConstruct style hand mining and Complex Machines(for UE) with it's fancy autominer which I forget the name of. You need to give it 1kW per ore it digs and I think it was 20W for every stone it scans in it's search, but it outputs ores from the earth via silk touch automining(automatically mines coal, redstone, lapis and diamond IIRC, everything else is a manual addition which may or may not require you to have Silk Touch already).

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I normally mine by hand and go for a pickaxe of the core/thaumium pick with silk-touch on one and fortune on the other. Repair on both of course. Any other enchants on them are just bonuses though.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I personally only dig by hand when I have none of the resources that i need. Otherwise I'm using the quarry all the way

I hate caving ._.
If i'm caving, I can't be building, just that simple.