Project: Feeding Eternal Time [Builder Applications Open!]

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
Well, just so everyone is aware, my computer only is just fixed now.

The new mobo is in, and the comp has been running for about 2 hours now.

If anyone wants to know the whole story....:

My original ASUS Rampage 4 extreme, packed it in, deciding not to boot correctly, and sometimes not at all, faults indicated a power surge in from the PSU on the 12V rail to the mobo in the 24pin connector. i ordered a new board, (A gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard), and when it arrived, the B Channel of RAM, was faulty, I could still run the comp, as long as nothing was in the B Channel. I RMAed the board, and the repair was gonna take another 3 weeks (rediculous), so, i bought another board while I wait for the Gigabyte one to be repaired, (ASUS X79 Sabertooth Motherboard), that I hope runs for a while, and i will probs use this one even when the Gigabyte one comes back.

So yeah, the whole thing took 2 months total, and i'm a little annoyed by it, so, I will probably take a week off anything, relax, and I'll start working on re-doing the whole pack and working on the server etc.

So, sorry about the no updates, but it was out of my control unfortunately :(

~Umbra~
It is okay and Totally understandable I was just hoping you didn't leave us without a goodbye, take the week and enjoy life :p

OldDogy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mean to be rude in any case! just saying how this sounds:
what i don't get is that he had 2 months to take a enjoy while he had no PC, but I guess I understand the stress of not having a PC especially if you are dependent on it o_O

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
what i don't get is that he had 2 months to take a enjoy while he had no PC, but I guess I understand the stress of not having a PC especially if you are dependent on it o_O
he had no time to relax as he has a life(Job, a relationship maybe, and possibly kids) and he does this map, which we all know will be awesome, so getting his computer back up was his main priority when he got off work not relaxing :p or at least that was how I interpreted it

I'm just enforcing your last sentence

OldDogy

Jul 29, 2019
Well he's not going to get rid of his family and his rl stuff so he could relax for a week.. that's why i based my last thought around the PC problem, but again i get it everyone needs a break from time to time :)

K4b6

Jul 29, 2019
Well he's not going to get rid of his family and his rl stuff so he could relax for a week.. that's why i based my last thought around the PC problem, but again i get it everyone needs a break from time to time :)
oh okay understandable I guess I miss read your first comment :D

superninjakiwi

Jul 29, 2019
It's fine, we just wanted to keep it alive. don't worry, this is still highly anticipated. while this was a large setback, it can be overcome and i am sure that noone will mind waiting a couple more months. those that do probably have no patience anyways and wouldn't want to wait for you to finish the map.

Bracye

Jul 29, 2019
I just found this thread and now I'm super excited. I love maps with quests and stories. Enjoy your time off.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019

wow dude........................

Thats all I really have to say to that comment...................

You must know that my editing for FOXTEL was put back by 2 months due to this, with no income from that, and unable to pay various things, and living with the problem of 'higher ups' basically saying where's our shit?!. And I come back from putting together an ad, that has taken all day with 1 5min break, and I come and read a comment like that.....

Thanks mate......................

really...............

Cheers..................

OldDogy

Jul 29, 2019
wow really, I just said how it sounded, neither am I your brother , or father to know what you do for life, I just stated that you probably had 2 months to do what ever you do, but since all your work is PC related, it's normal that there is no time to rest..?

And i was not applying to get back to work on some map for some game ... since you wrote and I quote "I will probably take a week off anything".
so just now you basically told us that your work is ALL, on and about PC and as i presumed you are depended on the PC...

not having it for 2 months in my logic meant not working for 2 months(and since you had no cash as you say, well i guess you didn't find any other job in the mean time) ... so now should be time to kick it up, not relax...
That was my whole point.

But hey, i don't live with you to know what you are doing all the time, what you do for life, or that you were going to read that comment just after sitting and working whole day ? did i now ? .. so take a break off everything and relax ;)

I most certainly didn't want to upset you

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, long post, but please read, exciting news at the end *cough*.

So, after my so called; "Controversial break from anything", (which, I really don't understand why it was a big deal, and I'm still baffled as to why people would mention it as 'strange'), i have finally got back into the swing of building, but, after speaking to Mattabase, he basically said that there wont be a new pack until 1.5 is in full swing.

What this means for the map, is that no 'bulk building' will be done until the mods are ready for 1.5, annoying i know.

But, it does come with some good news.

Mattabase has proposed several things:

1. He has offered to personally host the server for the map build, upgrading it from a VPS as it currently is, to a full dedicated server.

2. Doing things through this server will also generate more publicity for the map, as it could be advertised on the hosting site (Yeah, you heard me!).

3. The push back to 1.5 is a big step, but with the added command block functions etc, it could make the map even better.

4. The push back will also see an interesting goal: To finish the map before the release of 1.6, so it will be ready to go for then, and if it's not complete, at least have some form of Beta map, so everyone can play it.

5. Matt also stated, he will either handle the setup and running of the server himself, or he will 'hire' someone to maintain it, so it gets something off my list, so i am free to work on other aspects.

These are very big goals i know, but, all the more pressure to get everything fully finished for all of you followers.

I know this map has been worked on for a very long time, and i am sorry it has taken so long, but, all of us in the current build team believe that this map can be something special, and even as it stands now, is something special, and we want people to enjoy the map as much as we have enjoyed building it (minus the mod stuff ups obviously, lol), and with the push back to 1.5 this will happen!

Alright, now the next bit.

Since the push back is going to be a big step, and also a larger challenge to complete it before 1.6. We will definitely need more than 5 people working on a map.

Us 5 have been good mates for quite some time, but I believe it is time to spread out a bit in terms of the build team, and open applications to the general public.

Just keep in mind that if you are chosen, the building wont start straight away, but will start when everything is in place for 1.5, but, if you are chosen, you will be added to the dropbox, and will be able to get a copy of the world as it stands now.

As I have mentioned in the past, i was going to open up spots earlier, but due to certain restrictions, it is a little 'postponed'.

Alright, now to the application process.

As I mentioned in a previous post, i wasn't going to accept people on a whim into the build team, i wanted something that makes you stand out from the crowd, so to speak, and in the previous post, I also asked people to get builds ready etc etc.

Basically, i want to see something you have built, be it aesthetic or technical, your choice, but i want to see what people can do, and i want things to be unique, as anyone nowdays can do a sorting system.

To enter, simply send me private message either on here in the FTB forums, or on Youtube if you wish, (Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Umbra2614 ).

In your message, please include several things in this format:

------------------------------------------------

-Name:
-Best strength in Minecraft:
-Have you written any kind of medieval lore before:
-If yes to the above, would you be willing to write lore for the map (If no, leave blank):
-Are you adept in coding for either Computercraft in LUA, or RedPower in Elo-Forth:
-Have you ever been in any large map or town building project before:
-The build team operates in 3 separate teams of builders doing specific jobs, The Aesthetic team, The Redstone team, and the Lore Team, if you were accepted, which team would you prefer to be in and why:

------------------------------------------------

After the above is answered, please attach either a picture or a link to a video of the work you wish to submit, again, as i said, be it aesthetic or technical.

Now, I know that i have left the questions quite broad, but i want to see what you guys can think of for the answers is all. In terms of name, I don't mind if you either use personal name or an alias, take your pick :)

Anyway, have fun, and I hope to see some excellent applications in the near future!!!!

~Umbra~

superninjakiwi

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm aspiring to become a writer, maybe I can help with the plot? I appear to be a mediocre builder at best, so this is the best way i can help.

Umbra

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'm aspiring to become a writer, maybe I can help with the plot? I appear to be a mediocre builder at best, so this is the best way i can help.

Awesome! I will admit Akabane does a good job, but not much of the overall lore has been completed, having a second writer will be awesome, i'll let Akabane know, and we'll see what he says, but knowing him, he will appreciate the help, but he would most likely like to see some of your work.

I'm not asking you to write a whole new plot just as a test, but if you have a copy of an existing story etc that he can read, it will help :)

superninjakiwi

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have any existing work, but i'm sure i could throw together a chapter or two to show my abilities. just give me a few days and i'll get right back to you. (limited Internets)

superninjakiwi

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, my internet has been down for a while, and it might take another day or two to finish it up. My internet should be fixed soon, until then, enjoy this:

Mature language.
Patrol duty always was a waste of time. No one ever attacked here at night, much less during the day. It was a small, useless little fort with a small, useless band of soldiers. They were a motley band of lazy cowards. Even if someone did attack, the only thing the patrol would be able to do is get the white flag out before any arrows were fired. The only reason Rene was here was because he was being punished for refusing to murder a helpless enemy soldier. Thus he was branded a coward and sent here.
Being the only person here who isn't sitting on his ass, he thought grimly, sure has landed me a lot of patrol duty. And yet, if he refused, They would likely all get slaughtered before the white flag could be found. Actually, it's more of a grey flag then a white flag, he thought with a smirk, We're probably going to get killed by the enemy for raising a flag that isn't pure white. Damned puritans.
The sun was going down now, in a few hours he'd head off to sleep. At least patrol duty meant he got one of the few straw beds that they had. They felt more comfortable then anything else in the camp, even if they were infested with fleas. Just as the sun slipped below the horizon, he noticed something moving. "Buford," he yelled down to the camp, "get out the damned flag! But don't raise it yet!"
It looked like a skeleton. he was wrapped in what looked like bone armor and bearing a fierce bow. This man alone could likely take out half the camp, even if we did decide to fight it. And that was about as likely as Buford not locking himself in a closet.
"Oh shit," he gasped as the skeleton man moved closer, "Buford, put the flag away." It came out as barely a whisper.
The man was a skeleton. And there was a whole army behind him.

Please give me any criticism you can, this is actually my first public work.

Creeper Be Creepin

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, my internet has been down for a while, and it might take another day or two to finish it up. My internet should be fixed soon, until then, enjoy this:

Mature language.
Patrol duty always was a waste of time. No one ever attacked here at night, much less during the day. It was a small, useless little fort with a small, useless band of soldiers. They were a motley band of lazy cowards. Even if someone did attack, the only thing the patrol would be able to do is get the white flag out before any arrows were fired. The only reason Rene was here was because he was being punished for refusing to murder a helpless enemy soldier. Thus he was branded a coward and sent here.
Being the only person here who isn't sitting on his ass, he thought grimly, sure has landed me a lot of patrol duty. And yet, if he refused, They would likely all get slaughtered before the white flag could be found. Actually, it's more of a grey flag then a white flag, he thought with a smirk, We're probably going to get killed by the enemy for raising a flag that isn't pure white. Damned puritans.
The sun was going down now, in a few hours he'd head off to sleep. At least patrol duty meant he got one of the few straw beds that they had. They felt more comfortable then anything else in the camp, even if they were infested with fleas. Just as the sun slipped below the horizon, he noticed something moving. "Buford," he yelled down to the camp, "get out the damned flag! But don't raise it yet!"
It looked like a skeleton. he was wrapped in what looked like bone armor and bearing a fierce bow. This man alone could likely take out half the camp, even if we did decide to fight it. And that was about as likely as Buford not locking himself in a closet.
"Oh shit," he gasped as the skeleton man moved closer, "Buford, put the flag away." It came out as barely a whisper.
The man was a skeleton. And there was a whole army behind him.

Please give me any criticism you can, this is actually my first public work.
Very nice piece of work I would love to see you write the plot.