Project E and Reika's Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I made this so Flipz/some other mod won't have to lock the RED thread while cleaning up if the discussion gets out of hand. We also have a poll.
EDIT: Keep in mind that the poll is only to see what people believe - your opinion is not any more right or wrong due to how many votes it received.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
We also have a poll.

I really don't think a poll is appropriate for this kind of thread; this is a discussion, not a democracy.
This issue is destructive enough as it is, without a driving mass of people thinking their right simply due to a majority ruling- when the same masses can be equally misled or misinformed.​

Last edited:
Reactions: SynfulChaot

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't think a poll is appropriate for this kind of thread; this is a discussion, not a democracy.
Uh, no footnote? What have you done to the real @Celestialphoenix?
In actual response to that, it's so I can quickly analyze people's opinions without making those people respond. It's nice to know what people who don't have anything to chip into the topic think.
EDIT:
I think the poll is just to gather info :p

I am curious. And traj is to
This is correct.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
This issue is destructive enough as it is, without a driving mass of people thinking their right simply due to a majority ruling- when the same masses can be equally misled or misinformed.​
Okay, read the footnote you edited in. I'll add a note. It's more of a 'surveying public opinion' deal.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
What have you done to the real @Celestialphoenix?
He's locked in the naughty corner without any supper.

In actual response to that, it's so I can quickly analyze people's opinions without making those people respond. It's nice to know what people who don't have anything to chip into the topic think.
Fair enough I guess.
Its just not my personal cup of tea as people can [and will] vote without reading the discussion at hand.
wheres following the 'like' count can provide a similar dataset, whilst requiring people to look through the thread itself.
Okay, read the footnote you edited in. I'll add a note...
I do that a lot. I'm sorry. :p

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough I guess.
Its just not my personal cup of tea as people can [and will] vote without reading the discussion at hand.
wheres following the 'like' count can provide a similar dataset, whilst requiring people to look through the thread itself​

People also 'like' without reading the discussion at hand.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
He's locked in the naughty corner without any supper.

Fair enough I guess.
wheres following the 'like' count can provide a similar dataset, whilst requiring people to look through the thread itself.

I do that a lot. I'm sorry. :p
People also 'like' without reading the discussion at hand.
However, some people do read through all the information at hand, they just don't respond in the thread. *cough cough* me *cough* cough*

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Not particularly enamored of the poll being part of this myself. When you frame it as mod author vs. mod author in a game of pure numbers it screams "popularity contest". I fear this is only going to engender ill will, no matter how the numbers play out.

I'm not going to touch this unless/until it gets out of hand, but if Flipz or other staff with moderation access want to shut it down or delete the poll preemptively I won't object either. It's a bad idea to frame the discussion this way, good intentions be damned.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019

Going to pop a pre-emptive Be Nice warning on here, since it's undoubtedly going to be needed. I don't want to see any personal attacks going on in here, period. You have been warned.

Also took down the poll, as a poll like that in a situation like this is not going to engender a positive and respectful discussion.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
OK, major clarification here, because there is a lot of misinformation/misunderstandings.

First, here is a rough timeline:

1. I get reports of people using PE to skip RC progression, and the damage resulting from doing this. This was mainly in the form of server admins complaining to me that their server worlds had been severely damaged by players who got RC items too early, and mainly consisted of demands for config options to disable them/nerf them. After some confusion - as my initial suspicion was usually that they had modified something themselves - it becomes clear the players in question used Project E to shortcut RC progression. All but four servers had the tome enabled, exacerbating the problem. On three of the four remaining servers, the players got the first unit of material through brute force, and on the last, it was given to them by another user, under the guise of being able to look up its recipe in NEI (they claimed it was not working on their end).
  2. I go through the Project E source and find that Project E has an IMC-based "register custom EMC value" function, and that zero-value IMCs are effectively a blacklist. This was detailed in the comments of the code, and was thus intended functionality, not some exploit.
  3. Due to the IMC's system being ItemStack based (and thus needing a new message and entry for every damage value of every item), this resulted in several thousand IMC messages, which is unsurprisingly bad for performance.
  4. In light of this, I ask for an expanded system that does not necessitate this number of messages. This request goes over a month without reply.
  5. Lacking a reply, I blacklist all of my items from Project E in v4, using the all-value system. Loading times reach about 10 minutes.
  6. I strip down my handlers to blacklist only core items; loading times return to normal.
  7. I get a reply, saying two things: One, that the IMC system was never designed for blacklisting capability, and that it is impossible to make a more general based system. Neither are true, the former of which for the reasons I described, and the latter of which being demonstrably false through things like my own handlers.
  8. A couple months later, Project E removes the blacklisting system entirely, saying they need to rewrite their registries.
  9. The registries get rewritten (though remain very similar internally), but blacklisting support never re-appears.
  10. Around the time time, Kolatra finds EMC values on several of my custom-production items, including RC machines and CC crystalline stone. The rest of the Project E team swears that only things in the vanilla crafting table have EMC values calculated.
  11. I inquire about this, and request the support be re-added, as it is clear that even non-entry items are getting EMC values. Met with a rather strong lack of enthusiasm, I offer to do it myself.
  12. A debate ensues about the need for blacklisting in RC.
  13. It is made clear that a blacklist, if it ever gets re-added (unlikely), will be overrideable with configs, under the argument of "player choice trumps all".
  14. I ask again, trying to explain my problem. Several others agree also try to explain, including @kolatra, the only ProjectE team member who has ever touched my mods, as well as others like @frogfigther and @1M Industries.
  15. The response is flat denial, and a threat is made (not by sinkillerj, but by another PE member) to specifically add EMC to my items.
  16. One user gets extremely hostile, and I quote it here for the "stupid things people say" thread. People misinterpret it to think it was the PE team's responses I am posting it for, and the debate ensues.

Two major distinctions here.
One, yes, they can rewrite their system and change support levels at any time. That is within their right.
However, the fact they only did so after I started blacklisting things, and used the argument that it was never the intention of the system to allow that - when the code indicated otherwise - leads to suspicions of "bad faith".

Two, the threats to add EMC to my own items are not acceptable. That is not within the purview of their project, and is something they would have to devote time for specifically for the purposes of breaking RC.

Several users here have stated that this is acceptable, that "teaching a lesson by making things worse" is defensible behavior.
It is not. It is immature and unproductive, and only serves to engender further hostility. I would never and have never done that, and I expect others to do the same.

Retaliatory behavior for no personal gain, with the only intent being to harass and/or penalize is not the kind of behavior one reasonably expects and requires of a reasonable adult.

Say what you want about my policies or the justification for my wanting to lock down my items. However, if you then take that disagreement and use it as a foundation for an argument that boils down to "I don't like X, so doing things Y, Z, A, and B about it are acceptable, even if I would normally condemn them", you are being either dishonest or are letting your personal biases override your capacity to behave fairly and rationally. It is essentially the same as saying "Dishonesty, hostility, and so on are normally unacceptable, but if they are being used to ends I agree with, then that is fine with me".

Finally, Project E remains the only "exploit" system I know of that can completely break RC, and has no means in either mod to stop it, and the only one where the author has effectively refused any leniency:

Minetweaker and Modtweaker's authors have agreed to leave my mods alone, and the former's author has expressed willingness to add hooks to replace my custom handling when it is convenient for him.
mark719 (of MagicCrops) has agreed to leave my mods alone.
MagicBees, ExtraBees, and Gendustry have agreed to leave my mods alone.
CraftingManager added hooks to help me blacklist my mods.
MooFluids and MystCraft have systems for blacklisting fluids.
GregTech has agreed to leave my mods alone.
Minechem does not allow for fabrication of my items.
ProjectE, arguably the most powerful of all, and the most likely to be abused....nothing (or more accurately, IMCs...until I started using it).

Also, for those claiming I break other mods - though I do have handing for several other mods, not once have I ever had another mod author come to me and say that I was breaking their mod, nor would I totally refuse to work with them if they did. While I would try to work out some agreement rather than totally removing a given item or feature - especially if it was popular - I will definitely listen to and act on their wishes.

Also, I will never ever simply throw crash code if these mods are installed, whether or not they break RC. At the worst, I would log a console warning (and with RC, one of those handbook alerts) and refuse support and/or reject all balance/exploit complaints. That said, I would rather fix the actual problem and avoid that outcome, as noone wins in that scenario.

Finally, for those saying that this is not worth my time:
I spend rather little time on these sorts of things, maybe an hour a week, and likely less. That is an acceptable cost for the gain, that being less hostility and - crucially - fewer rumors and whisperings, that, as I have said before, can and will do major damage if left unchecked.

Last edited:

VapourDrive

Jul 29, 2019
Finally, Project E remains the only "exploit" system I know of that can completely break RC, and has no means in either mod to stop it, and the only one where the author has effectively refused any leniency:

Minetweaker and Modtweaker's authors have agreed to leave my mods alone, and the former's author has expressed willingness to add hooks to replace my custom handling when it is convenient for him.
ProjectE, arguably the most powerful of all, and the most likely to be abused....nothing.

To be fair, this point is really just an example peer pressure. The argument: "Others did it, so should they" is poor, if that's how we run things here count me out. Although after a second read I understand that it adds to the frustration when there is one weak link in the armour protecting RoC's balance. (Which I might add: RC is Railcraft, it came first, it gets dibs on the acronym with less letters :p)
Also, the more I hear about that horrid Stupid Things People Say thread, the less enamoured I am to check it out, kinda feels like it goes against the fundamentals of a community, I will never endorse "people-shaming".

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the more I hear about that horrid Stupid Things People Say thread, the less enamoured I am to check it out, kinda feels like it goes against the fundamentals of a community, I will never endorse "people-shaming".
Opinons not FTB yadda yadda

It is a terrible thread. I still follow it to keep an eye on it trying to make sure it doesn't get out of control. People-shaming is always bad. Originally the thread was about people saying stupid things about MMC in general, not specific mods and people-shaming, but @Reika and some of his followers started using it to shame people that they disagreed with *sigh*

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
To be fair, this point is really just an example peer pressure. The argument: "Others did it, so should they" is poor, if that's how we run things here count me out.
No, it is about showing how I am not asking anyone to go out of their way, and that the claim that ProjectE is doing the same as everyone else is wrong.

but @Reika and some of his followers started using it to shame people that they disagreed with *sigh*
I do not use it for that, and I rather resent the accusation because of how demonstrably false it is. I always censor out the name, and the people that get posted are not posted because I disagree, but because they say legitimately stupid and/or hostile things. And yes, I am a strong believer that those who act badly earned every bit of criticism they get.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I've said this several times during this debacle and I'll say it again:

I'm fine with the blacklisting of reika's items, when it comes to machines and alloys and stuff. What I'm not okay with is blacklisting the raw resources. This means any material that is generated in the world naturally. That way I can make anything I want to in rotarycraft, or reactorcraft, or electricraft etc. using EMC, while still sticking to the tiered progression system.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
This applies to all my posts in this thread now...
Opinons not FTB yadda yadda

I do not use it for that, and I rather resent the accusation because of how demonstrably false it is. I always censor out the name, and the people that get posted are not posted because I disagree, but because they say legitimately stupid and/or hostile things. And yes, I am a strong believer that those who act badly earned every bit of criticism they get.
  1. I know you censor out the name and I commend you for that, but it is usually very easy to find who posted it, especially when it is your MCF thread
  2. Shaming someone because they said something stupid is a terrible thing to do; what if they are mentally handi-capped or something? However, if it is hostile that is semi-okay
Usually what is posted in there is things that are stupid and you disagree with
I'm fine with the blacklisting of reika's items, when it comes to machines and alloys and stuff. What I'm not okay with is blacklisting the raw resources. This means any material that is generated in the world naturally. That way I can make anything I want to in rotarycraft, or reactorcraft, or electricraft etc. using EMC, while still sticking to the tiered progression system.
I see that as a good compromise

Last edited:

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
No, it is about showing how I am not asking anyone to go out of their way, and that the claim that ProjectE is doing the same as everyone else is wrong.

well some of your followers definitely do it.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
ProjectE, arguably the most powerful of all, and the most likely to be abused....nothing (or more accurately, IMCs...until I started using it).
Eyy, you forgot SquidUtils, totally the most well-known mod that can be used to break stuff! :3

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think Reika should give this struggle up, not becasue I think he's wrong but becasue this drama will only lead to him to burn out.
I really don't know what this drama is about TBH... Anyone who uses cheap EE WANTS to break their game. They want delayed creative mode, they want to skip all the things and get bored in 2 hours.
I am really really not sure what Reika intends to gain from this spack other then garnering MORE resentment and a truck tonne of EXTRA grief.
I am also confused as to what Reika is afraid of? EE being considered necessary to play RoC? and that becasue EE breaks the progression of his mod he'll have to balance around it?
I don't get it Reika seems to be assuming that everyone who will DL RoC (and other mods) will also be using ProjE.

Heed KingLemmings advice Reika and just drop it, you wont win this "balance cold war" no one will, ESPECIALLY not the players of both ProjE and RoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.