Problem with EU transformers in Monster (MC 1.6.4)

Zalagor

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all, I'm having a difficult time while using Transformers to step down energy from an MFSU.

Yes, I know that in the current version of IC2 there is no need to use transformers to power your LV machines, but that might change in the future and I would like my machines to be intact once the change happens :).

Right, the setup is currently something like this:
IC2 MOX Reactor -> MFSU -> HV-Transformer -> MV-Transformer -> LV-Transformer -> Basic machinery (Macerator, washing plant, compressor etc.).

The issue I'm having, however, is that the power seems to be trickling into the machines when they're working. They have no upgrades but as soon as I throw some ores into the macerator it first drains all of its internal power and then works very slowly. Same with all the other machines.

Is this working as intended? Any way around it? Ideas?

Thank you!

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to say e change wont happen until 1.7 so there is really no need :) but if you want to do it anyways I suggest actually UPGRADING the machines, get 4 transformer upgrades and a ton of energy storage upgrades and, if you want, overclockers.

Tomcat

Jul 29, 2019
from what you describe i believe you are getting limited by the transformers, the transformers only output their lower voltage per tick, and so a lv trnsformer takes 1x128 every 4 ticks and outputs 32 per tick, i know ore washers take 16 per tick so you can only put 2 ore washers per lv transformer, then you need a seperate transformer and lv live parallel to the first, as mentioned earlier the other solution is transformer upgrades in the machines and run a MV line for them, upping the limit to 128 per line

Zalagor

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to say e change wont happen until 1.7 so there is really no need :) but if you want to do it anyways I suggest actually UPGRADING the machines, get 4 transformer upgrades and a ton of energy storage upgrades and, if you want, overclockers.

I guess I could throw in 2x transformer upgrades to each of the basic machine and make them accept Extreme Voltage (8192 Eu/t) but the issue with this is that waaaaay more hassle than just slap a Transformer down :(. By more hassle I mean the necessity to get 14x transformer upgrades, as there are 7 LV machines im currently using.

EDIT: Answer to Tomcat. Ahh, alright, that makes sense, it's just I didn't have these problems with the previous versions of IC2 (In unleashed for example). So what you're saying is that effectly I'm turning my 2048 EU/t into 32 EU/t while using these transformers and since the final output is only 32EU/t then the number of LV machines I can use is limited to that amount? By limited I mean they are only 100% effective as long as their power usage remains less or equal to 32 EU/t?

Edit: Answer to CarbonBasedGhost. I'm with you on always using IC2 :D

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I assume your problem is that your machines aren't getting enough power because the transformers are converting it down to 128V and all of your machines total power usage is more. I recommend splitting it into two sections each fed by different LV transformers so your machines get enough power.

EDIT:
Actually I'm positive. If you can spare Transformer upgrades as said before do that because it is better for dividing your power up without any wasted. Also I recommend a Batbox coming out of the LV Transformer to give power to your system.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
you really wouldn't need a batbox at the end of the transformer if you set it up correctly.

OP, your problem is that your machines are exceeding 32eu/t. @CarbonBasedGhost is correct in that you need to separate your 32eu sources. Count your machines, divide them up, put one transformer per bank of machines. I think there's a way to calculate how many eu the machine is actually using per tick, but I'm having problems remembering. Some machines will not use a full 32eu/t, but some do.

I would store the energy before it gets transformed down rather than at the LV transformer.

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
you really wouldn't need a batbox at the end of the transformer if you set it up correctly.

OP, your problem is that your machines are exceeding 32eu/t. @CarbonBasedGhost is correct in that you need to separate your 32eu sources. Count your machines, divide them up, put one transformer per bank of machines. I think there's a way to calculate how many eu the machine is actually using per tick, but I'm having problems remembering. Some machines will not use a full 32eu/t, but some do.

I would store the energy before it gets transformed down rather than at the LV transformer.
Yes you always could store it earlier but a transformer pulling from a battery causes some lag. That is why I recommend it after.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hi all, I'm having a difficult time while using Transformers to step down energy from an MFSU.

Yes, I know that in the current version of IC2 there is no need to use transformers to power your LV machines, but that might change in the future and I would like my machines to be intact once the change happens :).

Right, the setup is currently something like this:
IC2 MOX Reactor -> MFSU -> HV-Transformer -> MV-Transformer -> LV-Transformer -> Basic machinery (Macerator, washing plant, compressor etc.).

The issue I'm having, however, is that the power seems to be trickling into the machines when they're working. They have no upgrades but as soon as I throw some ores into the macerator it first drains all of its internal power and then works very slowly. Same with all the other machines.

Is this working as intended? Any way around it? Ideas?

Thank you!
First thing you need to understand about the new IC2E is that there are no longer any voltages, only different tiers of current. The transformers now only really work as current limiters.

So basically what you have done is that you have bottlenecked your MFSU that can deliver 2048EU/t down to 512EU/t->128EU/t->32EU/t. This is why your machines are running out of power: they are all getting fed with only 32 EU/t.

Now you might think that transformers are totally crap and useless. No they are not, they just have to be used differently. You use them to create subnetworks with lower tier machines/cabling. For example if you have a main Fibre cable running 2048EU/t but you have a macerator and a furnace etc that are running nowhere near that amount of power. So you dont want to waste diamonds etc on running Fibre cable to the machines. So you step down the max current to 128EU/t and then just run some copper cables to the machines(transformer upgrades for those that need it, or individual LV tranformers for each machine). This way you know that the max current in the machine subnetwork is never going to surpass 128EU/t because the transformers effectively limits the power to that part. Ergo guaranteed no exploding cables or machines from accidentally "over-overclocking".

You can also use them to better control how much power some machines use if your powersupply is limited at times. For example if you have a Mass fabricator on a network also running other stuff, but you dont want the MF constantly sucking the energy storage dry. Feed it power through a MV-Transformer and it will only draw 128EU/t instead of its default 512EU/t.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
or individual LV tranformers for each machine). This way you know that the max current in the machine subnetwork is never going to surpass 128EU/t because the transformers effectively limits the power to that part. Ergo guaranteed no exploding cables or machines from accidentally "over-overclocking".
You could, but it's so wasteful... a little maths are all it takes in order to go from "transformers on all the things!" to a more efficient, streamlined power grid.

Yes you always could store it earlier but a transformer pulling from a battery causes some lag. That is why I recommend it after.
Everything causes "lag" including transformers. If you want to reduce the size of your footprint switch to powerconverters and route your power through them instead of IC2 transformers. Less lossy, and as a bonus they're less laggy in SMP environment.

Zalagor

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, huge props to you all for your answers!

I think going with a power grid like suggested is the way im looking to do things. Subnetworks for low voltage machines with their own separate power-storage sounds something which is cost-efficient and neat and tidy :D.

FTB forums and the community never ceases to provide incredible input. Thanks alot!