Pro tip: Don't force wrench Mystcraft desks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Moving spawners OP, haha, good one.

Need xp? Vanilla enderman farm or MFR auto spawner / SS.
Need mob drops? MFR autospawner or SS if you like grinding.
Want it automated? MFR autospawner or SS if you like grinding.

Though that wrench needs some tweaking. ^^

Its been getting some tweaks, items that cause problems are being blacklisted and there is now a configurable liquid force requirement to move things with it. A config option to make personal blacklists would be nice though...

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Its been getting some tweaks, items that cause problems are being blacklisted and there is now a configurable liquid force requirement to move things with it. A config option to make personal blacklists would be nice though...

Sorry but no. The way it works is simply wrong and prone to break not only current mods, but any mod that uses tile entities / multiblocks and relies on the proper events to fire when blocks are removed. The way it handles removing blocks is a dirty hack that bypasses the forge API and needs to be removed.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
...The way it works is simply wrong...and needs to be removed.
Well, I find it really useful, so I don't want it to be removed. A config option to disable it on the server would be fine.

Oh, and another thing not to do with the Force Wrench, don't right-click on a moving turtle with it. Shift-right-click seems to be ok, and the turtle will complete the movement it was doing when you place it, but ordinary right-click crashes the game.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I find it really useful, so I don't want it to be removed. A config option to disable it on the server would be fine.

Stuff that crashes servers / corrupts worlds should be disabled by default, not enabled by default IMHO. You can't expect every admin to know this and adminning a server is already enough work as it is.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry but no. The way it works is simply wrong and prone to break not only current mods, but any mod that uses tile entities / multiblocks and relies on the proper events to fire when blocks are removed. The way it handles removing blocks is a dirty hack that bypasses the forge API and needs to be removed.

This.

The idea of the force wrench isn't unique, nor is it technically difficult. There's a reason it hadn't been done in the past, and that reason is it doesn't really work even when it seems too.

If anything, it should be a white list. Add strictly containers (vanilla chests, iron chests, etc), don't add machinery, and fix "chestception" (as has already been done in 1.6) and everything would be much better.

Reactions: Poppycocks

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
This.

The idea of the force wrench isn't unique, nor is it technically difficult. There's a reason it hadn't been done in the past, and that reason is it doesn't really work even when it seems too.

If anything, it should be a white list. Add strictly containers (vanilla chests, iron chests, etc), don't add machinery, and fix "chestception" (as has already been done in 1.6) and everything would be much better.

As fun and useful as the force wrench might be, I have to agree. A potentially world breaking method should not be implemented, or at least be limited to stuff that is known to work with it (i.e. the white list). Maybe forge can implement an api call to serialize all kinds of blocks to standardize a way to pick up and transport blocks in the future.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Once I exported 20 thousand items into a DSU that already had one of a different item.

That didn't end well... 20 thousand entities.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Once I exported 20 thousand items into a DSU that already had one of a different item.

That didn't end well... 20 thousand entities.

...what?

Export busses won't 'export' to a DSU that already contains something. Nothing happens.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
...what?

Export busses won't 'export' to a DSU that already contains something. Nothing happens.

QFT, but beside the point.

What he's was trying to say with that bold-faced lie is that you could crash your world with vanilla if you wanted to. Which is true, of course. But a ridiculous point in an "force wrench crashes you more often than not" argument :).

Really, try it on a energy cube. The thing will serialize your complete energy network, what's worse it will unserialize it once you place the cube down, even though it's not really there anymore, of course, the whole thing freaks out and your server is at tps 1.2, if not outright dead.

This is the case for all scenarios where you have inconspicious blocks that actually form a single tile entity multiblock. Or where you have nested NBT data. Things go to HELL in a hand-basket preeeetty damn quick.

Ytramx

Jul 29, 2019
Then why mention it in a topic about force wrenches? Besides, you're lying. Like I said: export busses don't do that.

He didn't say he used an export bus. He's probably talking about a transport pipe that popped out 20k entities on the ground. The overall point being that you can jack up a server with many other mods as well, just by doing something stupid or shortsighted.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so what is a list of rules when using a force wrench, what does it screw up when you wrench it that can either potentially screw you over or reset chunks etc. I really like this thing but I need to know what it can screw up

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so what is a list of rules when using a force wrench, what does it screw up when you wrench it that can either potentially screw you over or reset chunks etc. I really like this thing but I need to know what it can screw up

I'd probably avoid any energy network components(except for IC2, that one has a tile entity for each block and the force wrench is usefull here for keeping charge), multiblocks, anything that has a GUI more complicated than slots for items + tanks, and everything that activates when you place it down. For example the building guide, although that's probably a special case.

Also avoid blocks that are themselves persistent and don't need force wrenching in the first place, mekanism machines are a good example.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019

1. Don't use it.

That's about it. There is no underlying unified Tile Entity code in Minecraft - the force wrench is a hand-held train wreck of a concept. Note that I'm saying concept - there's nothing bad about BlueDart's implementation. I like both the mod (which is awesomely stupid and yet stupidly awesome) and the modder, this is just a piece of code that I feel shouldn't exist.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
1. Don't use it.

That's about it. There is no underlying unified Tile Entity code in Minecraft - the force wrench is a hand-held train wreck of a concept. Note that I'm saying concept - there's nothing bad about BlueDart's implementation. I like both the mod (which is awesomely stupid and yet stupidly awesome) and the modder, this is just a piece of code that I feel shouldn't exist.

Yeah, was about to add something similar, the more I thought about it the more I realized that the listing would get pretty complex pretty fast. That's the reason I fast fired three edits and still wasn't happy with what I wrote and felt it's not completely right/true.

Worst of all that all this is pretty obscure, right? There's just no way a casual player could determine what's fine and what's not.

Just leave it well alone. Oh, same goes for the wand of dislocation.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Some sort of way for mods to mark a block as "safe to move" or not for the Force Wrench/Dislocator would probably work wonders.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Some sort of way for mods to mark a block as "safe to move" or not for the Force Wrench/Dislocator would probably work wonders.
Sounds good, but I don't see all the modders picking up yet another api to introduce a new interface for all of their blocks, especially if it's a functionality they probably don't like in the first place.

It's just too much code creep to keep up with.