Price of Chunkloaders/Forge Lexicon

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should these items be as expensive as they are?

• Yes

Votes: 23 92.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Now, neither of these items may be particularly expensive, but I don't believe they should have much cost at all. The Forge Lexicon just gets you access to other items that would make things a little easier to do in the first place, with multiple "Coal Dusts" and what not.
Because MC Can't always be loading everywhere you go (like in real life), Chunkloaders became a noticeably large part in many mid-late game setups. Don't have your boiler chunkloaded? Sorry, it explodes.

So why do these items cost diamonds and gold? Yes, it's not terrible, unless the first thing you go for in a game is a tree farm and a boiler setup (oops). The RC Chunkloader has an additional fuel cost that does not fare well for pre-ender use.
Just wondering what your thoughts are, I'm kind of torn about this anyways.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Well the RC chunk loader is definitely both ridiculous and obsolete. The other one is rather expensive but it is a VERY good item when you think about it.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly for multiplayer, to serve as a disincentive against people spamming chunkloaders left and right and wrecking the server.

Reactions: Omicron

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to me modders are afraid of Greg coming along and changing their 'cheap' recipe. And then you have modders so proud of their work they assign it a value that has nothing to do with function.

crazy_fab

Jul 29, 2019
Forge lexicon is not hat expensive and not that useful since in most modpack output are unified and ore are equivalent in recipe. Chunkloader are expensive to remain a "rare" not spammed item should never be free. As for the railcraft one, it would annoy me on y single player but for server it is ideal. For example if a guy leave definitively, two or three day latter he won't affect the server.
Another reason not to make them free is to avoid exploit such as turning them into scrap and whatnot. Overall I'd say they are both well balanced.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any basis for this claim, or are you just bashing Gregtech for absolutely no reason? (Don't bother replying to me, you've earned an ignore.)

Sorry to have offended you, oh easily offended person of the anonymous internet.

As for basing my 'opinion' on something - it's an opinion, they don't tend to be based on fact last I checked.

As for greg tech ... has it stopped being such a polarizing issue yet? It modified other modders recipe's still right? And those modders know this right? And they will either program their recipe with an "I don't care attitude" or "I know FTB uses greg's mod, so I better not be another config setting if I know what's good for me". Seems likely to me they care so that's why we see expensive recipes so often.

P.S:Ignored ya right back, your post was a direct attack without suitable provocation - you're not the type of person I want to read either.

P.P.S.: Unignored, decided I got angry and am not angry now - no reason to be a dweeb. Apology for the 1 hour time out ignore.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I'll make two points here:
The Forge Lexicon is dirt cheap. Some cyan wool, a book, a gold ingot, and one last thing I can't remember at the moment(but think might be a diamond). It serves very little purpose beyond easy storage, because it can compress several types of one item into one item period. And, well, it is handy for the occasional build in which you need a specific resource and no other will do.(such as when building storage with BiblioCraft using wood) The addition of GregTech to Ultimate makes it even less useful with it's Unification of Ores in the Ore Dictionary, but sometimes, only one type will do. The recent addition of Minefactory Reloaded also makes it less important for generic ore compressing due to the Unificator in MFR, which basically does what GT does when you smelt ores, but it does it when you run them through it.(though I don't know when the Unificator was added and updated my pack anyway)
And even if it costs a diamond, that's still not really worth complaining about. It's handy for some builds, and pointless for others.

Chunkloaders, on the other hand, are varied in utility and price. Railcraft Chunkloaders are handy for using long straight paths for railways and keeping them loaded. They require fuel by default, though, limiting their use. Code Chicken's Chunk Loaders have more shape choices, can load different amounts of chunks, and there is also the Spot Loader(which is very handy for loading exactly one chunk). IIRC they can be configured to require fuel, which isn't a bad thing for servers, as it forces players to have more infrastructure to benefit from chunk loaders, but means players have to work harder to keep a area loaded, and they are thus really only usable for people who have been on the server for a while.(this goes for RC Chunk Loaders as well) There is also Immibis Chunk Loaders, which are cheaper then RC and CC's Chunk Loaders(four gold and a iron block nets you four IIRC), can require fuel, and work fairly well.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
No, they aren't too expensive.

It's not just about "expense" though - it's a matter of natural progression. If you can't spare a Gold Ingot for a Lexicon, you haven't dug down deep enough to hit gold yet, and you definitely don't have the kind of mineral wealth that necessitates the Lexicon.

If you can't spare a Diamond or Ender Pearls or whatever for a chunk loader, then you really have to question if you're at the point where your infrastructure is complex enough to warrant them.

Seems to me modders are afraid of Greg coming along and changing their 'cheap' recipe. And then you have modders so proud of their work they assign it a value that has nothing to do with function.

Now, as far as this goes, no. Nobody is "afraid" of Greg. He has a mod and he does some neat stuff with it. He dances along certain lines with respect to inter-mod balance, but he has a consistent vision that he is attempting to execute, and I'll respect it. He's been willing to play ball with me in the past, so I really can't complain. Honestly it's not a polarizing issue at all in the modder community, only the playerbase. ;)

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, perhaps this is more than greg - it's Minecraft Inflation we're actually dealing with. People (modders as well) know about how easy it is to acquire things like diamonds and such using turtles and quarries. So when trying to decide what something should cost, they price it high basing it off how easy they think things are to acquire. When in reality, what they're doing is pushing these items off to end game and leave mid/early game with nothing more than tree bashing and quartz gringmilling. :)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Another reason not to make them free is to avoid exploit such as turning them into scrap and whatnot. Overall I'd say they are both well balanced.
I wouldn't say free, but considerably cheaper. And for the Forge Lexicon, people find it useful to unify ores, nobody wants 4 types of copper hogging up their system, and most "other" copper I get is from dungeons.

Maldroth

Jul 29, 2019
Now, neither of these items may be particularly expensive, but I don't believe they should have much cost at all. The Forge Lexicon just gets you access to other items that would make things a little easier to do in the first place, with multiple "Coal Dusts" and what not.
Because MC Can't always be loading everywhere you go (like in real life), Chunkloaders became a noticeably large part in many mid-late game setups. Don't have your boiler chunkloaded? Sorry, it explodes.

So why do these items cost diamonds and gold? Yes, it's not terrible, unless the first thing you go for in a game is a tree farm and a boiler setup (oops). The RC Chunkloader has an additional fuel cost that does not fare well for pre-ender use.
Just wondering what your thoughts are, I'm kind of torn about this anyways.

I'm okay with the costs personally. The chunkloader is just enough cost to make me consider it early game if I need my base loaded right now or to use those same resources for something else.

I recently made a Lexicon and can't recall it being that expensive either. After I have an igneous extruder I'm not sure I consider obsidian expensive anymore. Just can be tedious to mine if you are mining it.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know, perhaps this is more than greg - it's Minecraft Inflation we're actually dealing with. People (modders as well) know about how easy it is to acquire things like diamonds and such using turtles and quarries. So when trying to decide what something should cost, they price it high basing it off how easy they think things are to acquire. When in reality, what they're doing is pushing these items off to end game and leave mid/early game with nothing more than tree bashing and quartz gringmilling. :)

End Game? Couple of Gold Ingots? Some ender pearls? By the time you got enough Iron to build a max size boiler that you want Chunk Loaded, you probably already have a quarry, or did a fair bit of mining. Before you get a single Stack of Diamonds, you're already at, at a minimum, 3 Stacks of Gold. Gold is not that rare AT ALL, and rarely used outside of Thermal Expansion, which is one of the only mods that really make heavy use of gold in their recipes. I completely agree with what KingLemming posted, if you can't spare 1 gold and 1 iron to craft the Lexicon, then why do you even need the Lexicon? Dude, it's 1 gold and 1 iron. ONE. End Game in FtB often requires dozens of iron ingots, RC chews them up like candy, one max size boiler is over a stack and a half. Chunk Loaders are CHEAP. Couple of gold, enchantment table... Why would you even need a Chunkloader if you're not doing automatic mining & sorting? That, and constant energy production, are the only things it's normally used for. If you're doing those, then you probably have the resources to spare. ESPECIALLY since after you get the Chunkloader going, you're effectively mining in your sleep.

Reactions: Phil_Tact

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Sigh.

Fine.

I was wrong. :p The more people tell me how reasonable it is, the more I find myself agreeing they're right.

THUNDERGROOVE

Jul 29, 2019
Heh. Honestly, a few pieces of gold and diamond isn't much to ask for for a chunk loader. I wouldn't even mind spending more then a diamond block.

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
Forge lexicon is not hat expensive and not that useful since in most modpack output are unified and ore are equivalent in recipe. Chunkloader are expensive to remain a "rare" not spammed item should never be free. As for the railcraft one, it would annoy me on y single player but for server it is ideal. For example if a guy leave definitively, two or three day latter he won't affect the server.
well no, :

enderman farm -> infinite ender pearl -> infinite automatic world anchor resupply

Can't stand these items in general, they aren't realistic enough, guys. :/

really? Technically it's a mincraft flaw that everything cannot be loaded at the same time. I feel like those items should have low cost SSP wise and maybe let the expensive recipe in SMP to avoid chunk loading spam.

How is it realistic that time stops in parts of the world ? In real life that doesn't happen

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
in SSP, I consider chunkloaders as necessary part in order to keep the game working as it should be. I don't see the point that my machines stop working just because I'm somewhere else. and spending extra ressources just to keep them working... I don't know.

on servers, they should be free (or dirt-cheap) but due to respect to the limits of the server, every player should bei allowed to use just a few of them, so they are not able to spam the server.

the RC-chunkloader idea is pretty neat, that they need to be fuelled with enderpearls. it's not so much the problem that this fuel is expensive, but the idea, that the player needs to set it now and then (and think, if he still needs this chunkloader).

the worst thing that could happen is: a player has a base somewhere (maybe even a mystcraft age) and goes offline and never comes back. so, there is a bunch of chunks loaded for all time, causing a little extra server load... and nobody profits from it. with RCs system, the chunkloaders run out of fuel, and then they unload...