prevent flying

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
is there a way to prevent flying in a certain area.

people like flying to build stuff but i personaly dont like it going on at my place. whats the point of walls. is there a way to define an area that forces players to be on the ground?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I think if you're opped you can do it with commandblocks.

Otherwise, you can use MFFS, make people only able to enter your territory through a ground level opening because you have a forcefield covering the whole area :D

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I think if you're opped you can do it with commandblocks.

Otherwise, you can use MFFS, make people only able to enter your territory through a ground level opening because you have a forcefield covering the whole area :D

It's possible to bypass MFFS with a bit of clever work though.

It's odd that I'm saying that, since I normally recommend MFFS. :p

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Could you use Ars magica to cast gravity well on them?
Not sure if that just makes them fall faster when they do or if it will actually pull them out of the air

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
i don't think any one knows a clever way to do a fly through with mffs, but i dont like mffs because

-resource heavy-
-lags
-large shields cause crashes
-overly complex to use
-requires an intense amount of power to shield a base completely

most times i remove it because players alway like to try and make 100+ size shields and then server performance takes huge hit or server crashes

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
i don't think any one knows a clever way to do a fly through with mffs, but i dont like mffs because

-resource heavy-
-lags
-large shields cause crashes
-overly complex to use
-requires an intense amount of power to shield a base completely

most times i remove it because players alway like to try and make 100+ size shields and then server performance takes huge hit or server crashes
Mostly correct. Overly complex to use? Oh hell nah! It's actually pretty bloody simple.
And all that power usage? You could cut that down by a massive order of magnitude if you knew what you were doing.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
who says im not, i built mffs queries with this things, and i know nether quartz is a power reducer

but really if you want to protect a area 128x128 it more in likely will crash the server

4 servers to date from 1.4.7 to 1.5.2 to now i have never gotten a mffs system to work as a force shield system right

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft turrets, perhaps the freeze ray and have them target players. that should stop people flying near your house.
RoC turrets are overkill for anything, unless one disables the terrain damage from them. I'd add a laser turret and the a freeze ray.

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
there needs to be 2 simple blocks added in a mod by some one

one that prevents flying in a area

and a more simple bloc to build that can not be broken by others but easily broken by owner and comes in a variety of designs, yes yes before all the poeple come in and say well others can grief with it. on small servers its usale to keep friends just from digging through your castle wall because they just want to be derpy. and if it says owner on small servers the admin can chew out the person being a jerk....because amoung friends 5 servers never had a player grief another

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

and a more simple bloc to build that can not be broken by others but easily broken by owner and comes in a variety of designs, yes yes before all the poeple come in and say well others can grief with it. on small servers its usale to keep friends just from digging through your castle wall because they just want to be derpy. and if it says owner on small servers the admin can chew out the person being a jerk....because amoung friends 5 servers never had a player grief another
First one, command blocks, if used correctly.
Second one, Thaumcraft 4 has the Warding Focus, which does that, but for any* block.

*[citation needed]

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

MFFS can *probably* do the first (yes, I know you said you don't want MFFS, but I can't think of anything else), and the second is the TC4 Warding Focus. IIRC it works on anything except TEs.

Reactions: RealSketch

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I can bypass MFFS by sneaking through the force field

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
Until the interdiction matrix kills you and steals your stuff, anyway.
I can do this as well. And I lose my gear and get killed anyway.
...Why anyone would use the force field for base defense against mobs is beyond me, or even for basic defense against players. I use it only to defend against ICBM attacks, and the interdiction matrix can do the rest.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
There's several ways to get through MFFS.
Here's a handful I know of: Thaumcraft and the portable hole focus, AM2 and a blinks spell, ways to teleport forward blindly other then AM2, Nether Portals, Mystcraft portals(if used correctly), GT Teleporters, any sort of "X, Y, Z" targeting teleporter, any sort of teleportation if the field isn't always up(and is down long enough to open a hole), Portal Guns, TF Portals, any dimensional portal that links to the overworld and you can go in through one and exit through another by building another somewhere while inside...
It's not hard. It is hard to defend against all these types of intrusions with a force field. Not with a interdiction matrix that kills things and robs them blind.

Reactions: Padfoote

Blue

Jul 29, 2019
im not looking for keep people out, i just dont want people flying or taken short cuts by breaking my walls and replacing them. its sort of ruins a nice castle fortress and having build court yards when people visit and just fly every where.

ya come in my nice front gate make a left at court yard go in building here and second story.... *person ignores all that and just flies up to that room*

and i cant get rid of flying other wise i lose half my players it is nice. but im one of the few survivalist true players on my server

only about 3 others i play with enjoy the challenge. most others want instant gratification