Preferred wall / floor / ceiling thickness...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dasein808

Jul 29, 2019
What's yours?

I believe that this game has brought my own OCD tendencies to light in a way that I'd never considered or acknowledged, or at least from the time that I last played with legos.

After working in data centers and dealing with cabling, I'm now a devout adherent to the 3 block wall, (sub)floor, or ceiling. I also prefer a basalt core with marble on either side for my walls.

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
i, too, always go with a 3 block wall. i've never bothered with microblocks and covers and all that, but i probably should. :p

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Quick note up front, "piping" here refers to a catagory of mod blocks which transmit something from one block to another. Tubes, pipes, conduits, ducts, cables, wiring, etc. I'm just picking a term so I don't have to recite the list every time. :D

3, for the time being. Though if Immibis and King Lemming noodle out a way to get Immibis' Microblocks to work on TE's piping again that might drop to 2 or 1 as covers become available.

Well, 3 for the floor/ceiling when it comes to rooms that I access frequently and have piping snaking between them. The same for walls, but that is far rarer since I prefer to run through flooring than walls. Normally wall runs are done underground, so I just dig 2 blocks deep, make the run, seal up the first block and call it a day.

The exception to both are long horizontal runs between two points. I'll often dig a 2 wide by 3 tall tunnel and run the piping exposed on one wall leaving the other side for walking/lighting. 3 tall gives me enough room for a power, inventory and liquid run. The whole passage is supposed to be hidden but I leave accessible for any changes in the future.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
One block. CF foam and facades solve many problems.

Ceilings are usually two blocks so I can have grass on the roof without a dirt ceiling :)

ahwtx

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, that's what i need to get in the habit of doing, the cf foam and facades stuff.

question though: after the cf foam has hardened around a pipe/wire, when you break the hardened block, does it break the pipe/wire as well?

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
yeah, that's what i need to get in the habit of doing, the cf foam and facades stuff.

question though: after the cf foam has hardened around a pipe/wire, when you break the hardened block, does it break the pipe/wire as well?
yes, only drops the wire, not the foam.

newest ic2(mc1.5.1+) can camo cf with brick/glowstone and a few other textures with a new tool too.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
2 actually. upside down half slabs for the ceiling, one block space, normal half slabs for the floor :')

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I like my piping to be visible, so 1. Maybe 2. Almost never 3 unless I'm building with the shovel of the excavator.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I use just one block. I like seeing my pipes and wires. If I want to hide them, then I send them down to my basement/maintenance area.

Bihlbo

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have a "usual" way to do it. Lately my buildings have been above-ground and built for aesthetics with 1 block thick walls, all the infrastructure running from the ground up to the machines. The floor is 3 thick with a big empty room underneath and most of the piping exposed, but I'm only ever down there to change the layout or fix problems. I started making subterranean tunnels connecting my buildings and for running piping between everything. That's 3x3 with stone brick walls and ceiling and a gravel-and-jack-o-lantern floor. So everything abutting those tunnels is going to have at least 2 blocks between it and the tunnel.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
I like windows, which look strange if the wall is >1 block thick. For floors, I normally go with 2, but bump it up to 3 while microblocks are incompatible with conduits

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
1 for walls and 5 for floors to allow cables/conduits/ME cables to cross but stay unseen

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Quick note up front, "piping" here refers to a catagory of mod blocks which transmit something from one block to another. Tubes, pipes, conduits, ducts, cables, wiring, etc. I'm just picking a term so I don't have to recite the list every time. :D

3, for the time being. Though if Immibis and King Lemming noodle out a way to get Immibis' Microblocks to work on TE's piping again that might drop to 2 or 1 as covers become available.

Well, 3 for the floor/ceiling when it comes to rooms that I access frequently and have piping snaking between them. The same for walls, but that is far rarer since I prefer to run through flooring than walls. Normally wall runs are done underground, so I just dig 2 blocks deep, make the run, seal up the first block and call it a day.

The exception to both are long horizontal runs between two points. I'll often dig a 2 wide by 3 tall tunnel and run the piping exposed on one wall leaving the other side for walking/lighting. 3 tall gives me enough room for a power, inventory and liquid run. The whole passage is supposed to be hidden but I leave accessible for any changes in the future.

I heard chickenbones is also working on a microblocks mod, which might work on most mods like immibis's microblocks do...

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I usually build underground (I'm so boring, I know), so I don't have to worry about this much. But my standard is 3.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Last tower (home) I made was 18x18 (with the 16x16 of this inside a chunk). I used a filler, set it to make me a big cube. Used snow for my building block of choice. I started with 14x14 walls, then 16x16 walls, and finally 18x18 walls with my filler. Ended up with a tall tower with three block walls.

Only needed one mini-chunk loader for the whole thing. put me a central shaft I could drop down or fly up with timer controlled trap doors to close behind me (makes easy to get from floor to floor without overshooting. Made sure not to run anything in the outer wall like pipe or conduit or anything since the outer wall 18x18 is not chunk loaded.

So short answer ... 3 think walls with floors being varying thickness depending on need/desire.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
One block. CF foam and facades solve many problems.

Right up until you want your TE conduit to cross over your IC2 cabling. Except, of course, only immibis microblocks covers TE conduit at all. (or rather, did)

Then there's AE, that also needs to cross.

It's worse in these "not-quite FTB" packs because I make heavy use of infinitubes as well. In 1.5.1, Computercraft has released a lan cable to (privately) connect two computers instead of modems, etc.

To answer OP: I build "block, air, block" ceilings/floors. Most cabling goes in the air, but with microblocks I have the ability to use up to 3 blocks. Walls, I tend to build-out excessively large areas, far larger than I expect to need, and build walls last. Only as they fit what is being done in the area. Thus most walls are one block, but may be used to cover up piping as well so will be thicker in that area.