Post your Forestry Farm Power Sources!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I've been experimenting with the new ways of making BC power for Forestry machines (Bluelectric Engine in particular) so I wanted to see what the rest of you came up with! Post pics of your forestry farms and how they are powered :D
Here's mine:
bxLOX.png
The bluelectric engine is producing more power than the farm needs, I will probably hook it up to something else to drain off excess power.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure those four solars are producing more than the blulectric engine needs? As in, are the batboxes actively charging even while the farm is running?

Thing is, the conversion ratio is 1 kW = 1 MJ/t, meaning that with four solar panels you generate 0.7 - 0.8 MJ/t during the day and zero during the night. From my personal experience, a peat bog is a very low energy farm, but powering both the bog and the turbary with a single peat-fired engine (1 MJ/t around the clock) usually isn't enough to keep up with the speed of peat maturing. And you're producing less than that even during the day, much less the night...

EDIT: Here's mine. Note that I'm playing with config settings to significantly increase the energy need of the forestry stuff, so I'm feeding this farm with two hobbyist engines (supplied by an aqueous accumulator) to keep it chugging at a decent speed.

2013-01-04_01.57.19.png

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Considering farms will run on as little as 1MJ/t and max is about 8-10MJ/t it's pretty pointless to stick a Blulectric engine on a farm.

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
So pretty much what you're saying is stick with the standard bio, combustion, or steam?

harley032707

Jul 29, 2019
i use the redstone conduits connected to my power system to power all my farms, carpenter rolling machine ect

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's quite inefficient, as the farms will take in far more power than they actually need (they'll waste it on idle cycles).

Still, if you have enough energy generation, I suppose it won't matter too much...

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
Did not know about the farms needing so little power. I suppose I'll hook in the rest of the farms into this engine when I build them to make things easier.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I read somewhere that 1 automatic peat farm will sustain 10 peat fired engines. Every single one of the forestry farms will run off of a single peat engine.

I have never ran a single forestry farm off of more than a single peat engine and have never had an issue. A single peat farm produces more than enough peat to power all of the farms I have running and still produces excess peat.
Anything above a peat engine running a forestry farm is just overkill.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I like the OP's setup as it means you don't have to worry about maintaining power generation to the forestry machines by feeding them fuel or connecting them to power generation elsewhere.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I read somewhere that 1 automatic peat farm will sustain 10 peat fired engines. Every single one of the forestry farms will run off of a single peat engine.

I have never ran a single forestry farm off of more than a single peat engine and have never had an issue. A single peat farm produces more than enough peat to power all of the farms I have running and still produces excess peat.
Anything above a peat engine running a forestry farm is just overkill.

It is true that you can run farms like that. They won't run at maximum speed, though. For that you want around 1 MJ/t for the farm and the harvester each, so 2 MJ/t in total. I usually just throw a single hobbyist engine (1.6 MJ/t) there and be done with it... or two, as in the above case of running with doubled energy draw configs. A hobbyist engine will produce twice as much total MJ per unit of peat than the peat-fired engine does (though you dont get any ash back).

Shaverman5000

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using solar panels. I use a total of 12... 6 panels power 2 farms. Its 1 ultimate panel, 8 Hybrid, and 23 advanced. :)

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a biofuel loop going between my tree farm and fermenters. I have a huge excess of peat now, though, so I think I might switch back to that (got tired of manually refilling the engines, but I might set up some sort of automatic filter thing in the future).

On a semi-related note, has anyone else had any problems getting BC pipes to work correctly with something like the logger? For some reason when I set a diamond pipe to output wood, apples, and saplings to a chest and also saplings back into the machine, the wood never makes it out of the logger. I break the pipe and all of a sudden a dozen stacks of wood fly into the chest (which is adjacent to the machine).

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
On a semi-related note, has anyone else had any problems getting BC pipes to work correctly with something like the logger? For some reason when I set a diamond pipe to output wood, apples, and saplings to a chest and also saplings back into the machine, the wood never makes it out of the logger. I break the pipe and all of a sudden a dozen stacks of wood fly into the chest (which is adjacent to the machine).

That's because it outputs saplings and apples out the top, and wood out the sides. However, as soon as one pipe is connected anywhere, it will only output into pipes. So once you remove your pipes, it recognizes the chest next to its sides and outputs into that, but as long as the pipes on top are connected, it will not.

You can change the behavior of harvesters in the Forestry config file to disable side-sensitive output, meaning all output will come through the same pipe - redardless of which face that pipe is connected to.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking the chest being there might have been messing it up. Thanks for the info.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Logger outputs wood to sides and saplings/apples to top (with BC pipes, not inventories). For forestry farms I just use energy cell set to 1 MJ/t output and connected to main BC network powered by 16 combustion engines with some storage to make it on demand. To make energy cells cheaper, I use in one place one energy cell with 3 separate outputs for 3 different farm complexes. I wouldn't power farms with more than 1 MJ/t, looking now on my wheat farm (running on only one 1 MJ/t) I have only 3 unharvested and 1 free space, so only these 4 are wasted, with peat bog it is very similar. There are 128 spaces for peat/wheat, so these few spots are really unimportant. In 1.2.5 I run every farm on one peat per day and it was working well.

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've always just used peat to power my farms. I've found 1 - 2 engines on the machines is more than enough. It's slow in setting up the initial farm (but I use a RE cell to speed that up), but seeing as most products take quite a bit of time to grow, peat engines become pretty efficient. That and it's possible to fuel quite a few farms with just one peat bog.

Shaverman5000

Jul 29, 2019
I use solar energy :\ I used Geothermal first, until I saw that lava is a pain after a while... I'm about to mix my power sources with the Solar and Nuclear energy :) I'm excited!

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I use solar energy :\ I used Geothermal first, until I saw that lava is a pain after a while... I'm about to mix my power sources with the Solar and Nuclear energy :) I'm excited!
You use electric engines from Forestry I'm assuming? Good to know that you're going to try a reactor, those are lots of fun to use! Also, lava energy becomes easy when you use a magma crucible ;)

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to set up my farms / energy production etc, and I can't really find much info on the power needs of the forestry machines.
From what you guys have said above, each of the machines requires 1 M/J, is that right? Is there somewhere I can find the min/max levels, and do the farms produce at a different rate depending on power supply?
Sorry if this is posted somewhere and I've not seen it.
I'm quite liking the idea of the RP energy cells though :)