Pollution Mod -- Modders Needed!

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast has industrialized everything minecraft has to offer. From huge nuclear reactors to bees, Minecraft is becoming modernized. However, there is one crucial thing that Minecraft is lacking, that will provide an added touch of realism. Is it cars? A second hand? No... It's pollution!
Now the first thing I'm going to say is that I can't mod:) . If you have the skills and time, if you would be kind enough, please contribute to the production of this mod. So now to the actual mod itself:
It would not be unlike Thaumcraft 2's taint system. Every hour or so, all of the loaded chunks would be scanned for any machines, engines, etc. Some machines would be more polluting than others, for example, a powered furnace or magmatic engine would produce one, let's say, pollution point; a rotary macerator or stirling engine would produce two. When pollution points stack up, bad things would happen, but very gradually, and not always noticeable...
At first, at maybe 200 points, grass stops spreading, then at 275, plants start to die. Eventually it would lead to negative potion effects, melting ice, water becoming unusual, increasingly bad weather, etc.
But don't take all your stuff and flee to a clean chunk, there is a solution! Every tree would remove two pollution points, and every flower or such would remove one. It would take a massive amount of machines to cause pollution in a forest or jungle biome.
If you have been throwing away all your saplings and are too lazy to fix the problem, don't worry. Pollution will gradually dissipate into surrounding chunks. If one might have 150 pollution points, and the other had 50, then they would gradually equal out to 100 each. Then that chunk would dissipate into another chunk next to it so more of the first chunk's pollution would be able to go in the second chunk. If you don't produce a surplus of pollution, then it will eventually all go away.
If you can't stand waiting for it to disappear, and can't shut down your industry to wait for pollution to dissipate, there's a active method of removing it. There could be chipsets or machine upgrades that would reduce the amount of pollution they would create. A block that would boost the power of trees, another that would capture pollution in cans for you to dispose of. Pollution proof blocks so that you could reinforce your machine room to release less pollution. A pollution proof suit to let you walk unharmed in the midst of it all. The possibilities are endless!
If like this mod idea, then please give support, and if you can code in java, then please try to make a reality.
Thanks ;)
Edit: I know this has already been done to some extent, but i want it to be a Feed the Beast mod that will be included in future packs.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure HAYO Tech has secretly added a device, similar to the RSH / LZH condensers, to their machines that sends all the pollution to the alpha-omega galaxy. Just when the omegans thought reactor heat was the only thing they'd have to deal with.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Morrigi

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to be able to turn my Minecraft world into a blasted wasteland. Speaking of blasted wastelands, nukes and reactor meltdowns should bring on the very worst of this.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
You could use the thaumcraft vis/flux model to implement this, though the terraforming aspect would be very hard to tack on.

Saamoz

Jul 29, 2019
You could use the thaumcraft vis/flux model to implement this, though the terraforming aspect would be very hard to tack on.

It's been done by other larger mods, like the Weather and Tornadoes Mod, and Industrialcraft's terraformers.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
This would be QUITE CPU intensive and require great skill from a modder. Many think this is the direction IC3 will go if it ever comes out

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on how you code it which is why I said it would require great skill

A smoother scanning of one by one chunk might of minimize the lag by not making it all at once.. I'm still new at coding so I dont know necessarily that would be made.
Also chunk loaders would cause sooo much lag with this mod.. and in multiplayer..
As you said, Great Skill..

Hironimus

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft II had a nice pollution system it even terraformed a whole part of the world in the term of "corrupting" if you do the same by just changing the properties of the blocks and how they look under certain circumstances then you get a pretty nice effect.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
This would be QUITE CPU intensive and require great skill from a modder. Many think this is the direction IC3 will go if it ever comes out

Thaumcraft does pretty much exactly the same. So no, it's not that CPU intensive if you use a tileentity per chunk to store those values.

xXSpawnXx

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, about the CPU intensive thingy, thats not necessarily true, it depends on HOW you check the pollution and AT what rate. If you do all chunks loaded at once to be checked, it will then have lag spikes always it checks. Smoothly checking as I said before of 1 by 1 maybe 2 chunks.

hotblack desiato

Jul 29, 2019
why do you want to check the pollution based on the existence of machines?

it would be better, if it's a system like in TC2, where every chunk had vis and taint. by using a machine (that works with the mod), the machine adds a bit pollution to the counter.

and there should be some sort of way to reduce the problems.

for example, a classical steam boiler (RC): besides the liquiducts on the machine for the steam, there should be a way to extract the exhaust. maybe the sides give steam, the top gives exhaust gas. and they can be sent around with liquiducts to a catalyst that takes care of everything and releases the rest into the atmosphere.

solars + electrical furnace would be best, since there is just no exhaust, whereas the vanilla furnace would be one of the worst methods... hey, it's just 8 cobblestone with nothing else.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
MFR has sludge & sewage world gen. I personally don't see the need for a pollution mod , but it's your game so good luck to you.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
As stated before, CPU intensive, probably not, other than short pockets of lag every time a scan is made, however it would indeed take someone who really knows what they are doing to even attempt this with a chance of success.