[Poll] Do you prefer TE or IC2? Why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously what is it with all these "do you prefer X or Y" threads? Obviously either choice has its pros and cons, and is useful in different situations. This is rapidly devolving into "my dad can beat up your dad" arguments.

My pet Wither can beat up your dad!

Reactions: Jadedcat

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer TE because of its ease of use and that is uses a "standard" energy system, the EU I dislike because it requires a rather complicated system.

If you go with IC2 then EU is the "standard" system you use. And as for complicated... MJ is FAR more complicated to regulate than EU.

Saying that, I use both, I start with TE, and then when I am established enough, I make myself a few IC2 machines.[DOUBLEPOST=1361880703][/DOUBLEPOST] {please keep it clean}

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer IC2 because, as said above, EU is simpler and cleaner. I use the advanced machines to process my mining results. That room consists of 2 singularity compressors, 2 induction furnaces 2 rotary macerators, 2 centrifuge extractor and 1 industrial centrifuge. I do it all by hands and it takes about 1 minute to process the result of a miner. That room is powered by 8 advanced solar panels and 3 MFSU. I have a separate room with separate solar panels for 4 recyclers and 1 mass fabricator.

I recently added a new building for MJ using machines. I have 6 or 8 solar panels, I'm not sure, and 3 electrical engines that transfer delicious EU into MJ in a redstone energy cell which then powers TE machines magma crucible, liquid transposer, sawmill, induction smelter and a carpenter. It also powers 3 lasers for an assembly table.

Finally, I have a vertical windmill to power a single blulectric alloy furnace.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Overall, I prefer EU. It's much more useful in the long run and it can be transferred into MJ if need be. While I do start off using MJ for things such as the pulverizer for doubling ores and the induction smelter for combining ingots (Invar and Electrum are damn useful), I do eventually switch most of it over to the IC2 alternatives or it's addons (GregTech, Gravisuite, Ect.) For major MJ production though I use BT (Blulectric engines are OP with enough solars.)
GqXSylS.jpg

WSsBHNd.jpg
This kids, it what happens when you finally decide to use your barrels full of nikolite and redstone. 728 Solars powering 22 blulectric engines.
Though do remember that a Matter Fabricator can give you just about anything you need and it only takes EU and a constant supply of scrappable resources. IC2 can easily get you that (16 Rock Breakers feeding cobble into 3 overclocked recyclers. It works really well for UU Matter.) So while the TE contraptions still stay in my heart, I tend to prefer the IC2/GT alternatives (Mainly because there is no replacement for things like the induction furnace and magma crucible) and BT for MJ production.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Haha, nice! How much current are those poor cables forced to bear, though? I bet you'd kill for jacketed 10 kV wire right now... ;)

Unionhawk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using a TE setup simply because hooking it into a sorting system is dead simple, and because I've made IC2 setups since at least 1.2.5 (I don't remember exactly).

The thing with BC power though is you've only got one of a few ways to do it (I'm going to discount the Electrical Engine, since you should really only ever use it if you've got an IC2 setup, and need a little BC power). You've got solid fuels, and you've got liquid fuels. In any case, you need to burn something, and create fuel to burn (if you want a stable BC power system, anyway. You could mine coal for days... but why?). Whereas IC2 gives you some pretty interesting options, like a Watermill-redpower system, for example. Or a nuclear reactor. Sure boilers are fun, but there are only a couple of ways you can set one up. You can come up with all kinds of crazy stuff with IC2. I mean, if you're into the potential engineering challenge of FTB, like I am.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Just started a new world in the Direwolf pack and haven't even touched IC. Found a nice little valley and settled in and started straight off with Thermal Expansion. I started out with sterling engines and shortly after moved on to lava in magmatics. Once I got a bit of iron and a redstone energy cell, I moved over to fuel refined from a nearby oil well. It's pretty easy to get a lava/fuel based system going for your MJ needs early game for a significant amount of power for all your machines.. plus, you get to skip out on the item transport middlemen (tubes and pipes) when using TE machines.

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Overall, I prefer EU. It's much more useful in the long run and it can be transferred into MJ if need be. While I do start off using MJ for things such as the pulverizer for doubling ores and the induction smelter for combining ingots (Invar and Electrum are damn useful), I do eventually switch most of it over to the IC2 alternatives or it's addons (GregTech, Gravisuite, Ect.) For major MJ production though I use BT (Blulectric engines are OP with enough solars.)
GqXSylS.jpg

WSsBHNd.jpg
This kids, it what happens when you finally decide to use your barrels full of nikolite and redstone. 728 Solars powering 22 blulectric engines.
Though do remember that a Matter Fabricator can give you just about anything you need and it only takes EU and a constant supply of scrappable resources. IC2 can easily get you that (16 Rock Breakers feeding cobble into 3 overclocked recyclers. It works really well for UU Matter.) So while the TE contraptions still stay in my heart, I tend to prefer the IC2/GT alternatives (Mainly because there is no replacement for things like the induction furnace and magma crucible) and BT for MJ production.

Hot ******* damn! That's more MJ than I could think of!

EDIT: How did you get flowing water in your inventory?

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
But for those cases where I do want triple ingots, I prefer GregTech's guaranteed bonus over TE's 5%-10% chance any day ;).

I use rich slag and get a guarantied 3 ingots, also if you use an Induction Smelter with sand, you can skip Macerating or whatever.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
Right, but you don't get rich slag with every ore.

I couldn't say for sure. I think I like TE more for the convenience of not having to set up a huge system to do some level of autoprocessing, but I don't really like the MJ power system (though I think part of that is that before TE I haven't had any way to store it, now that the RS cell exists that problem will likely be going away). EU is still useful, especially for mining tools and armor, and even though I don't use it for machines much I like the EU power system quite a bit.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I'm used to starting the IC2, but I am interested in trying a TE start (although when I get around to restarting my world, I will be making sure to up the difficulty for TE [I think that is possible, at least]/forestry/etc to properly match IC2 with GregTech) to give myself a good reason to start learning that mod.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Hot ******* damn! That's more MJ than I could think of!

EDIT: How did you get flowing water in your inventory?
2 UU matter makes 1 still water. Very useful as you can place it in the nether without it evaporating.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
I can it's my right to :p

Same...
This isn't a black-and-white "which mod is better" situation. You can take away things from IC2 that you clearly can't from TE. The only thing with TE that's better than IC2 is the machines and energy grid...
However, what you can't get from TE (as of 02/26/2013):

* Infinite Tools
* Renewable Power (Charcoal does not count as you still have to pay a 'refining' cost)
* Renewable Armor
* Flying
* More explosives
* UU-Matter (a.k.a. "make anything you want so long as they have a recipe for it" stuff)
* Static and Rechargeable Defense system (no pun intended)

Just using IC2 for the machines is like only using 25% of the mod. There's other stuff you can be using, and in many cases, they preform really well...

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing with TE that's better than IC2 is the machines and energy grid...
Even then, this is extremely debatable.
what is "better" ? TE can be more compact yes, but can't output into tubes :( only relays, which atm are rather laggy :(

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
2 UU matter makes 1 still water. Very useful as you can place it in the nether without it evaporating.
Ohh, never knew that, I am suspecting you came back from the nether recently, you also have nether rack[DOUBLEPOST=1361896531][/DOUBLEPOST]
what is "better" ? TE can be more compact yes, but can't output into tubes :( only relays, which atm are rather laggy :(
True, I never thought of that!

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

What a bizarre complaint.

Nothing other than redpower machines can output to tubes. TE, however, can automatically hold the output and have you pull it out with some other block, which is the _only_ methodology available for IC2. Or the TE machines can output to a chest/machine/relay (all the same thing, really) or to BC pipes. None of which IC2 machines do.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
They can output into buildcraft pipes though even without an engine. I hardly ever use RP tubes unless I need to.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
What a bizarre complaint.

Nothing other than redpower machines can output to tubes. TE, however, can automatically hold the output and have you pull it out with some other block, which is the _only_ methodology available for IC2. Or the TE machines can output to a chest/machine/relay (all the same thing, really) or to BC pipes. None of which IC2 machines do.
yeah that's generally what I do. I have a set of 5 chests (macerate and smelt/macerate/smelt/compress/extract), then those are sucked out by filters, machined, then sucked out and put into other chests. I've compacted the design a lot, but it generally takes about a 12x5x5 area.[DOUBLEPOST=1361898091][/DOUBLEPOST]
They can output into buildcraft pipes though even without an engine. I hardly ever use RP tubes unless I need to.
yes, but I don't like BC pipes other than in very specific cases.
I hardly ever use RP tubes unless I need to.
I hardly ever use BC pipes unless I need to

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019

Not wishing to change the thread subject but I have 30 relays all in the same chunk (or almost in the same chunk) all running periodically and suffer from no FPS or lag because of these...

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Not wishing to change the thread subject but I have 30 relays all in the same chunk (or almost in the same chunk) all running periodically and suffer from no FPS or lag because of these...
aye, but the chances are you're running minecraft on a better PC than I am. And if you play on a server then it's likely on a better connection than I have.
When 15-20 is your average, you feel every little change.