[POLL]BC Pipes VS RP Tubes VS AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BC Pipes or RP Tubes

• Pipes

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Tubes

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • AE

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
One of the aspects which I do usually feel rather scummy for is the use of tesseracts/enderchests. What I really should make, at some point, is a frame-moving quarry/miner ship (not entirely sure what I'd prefer to use for it), which automatically lays down a bridge and tracks, to drop off at a base via carts. This will likely wait until I have most of my infrastructure, as it'd be good for maintenance stuff, but the ever-increasing delays would probably struggle with expanding bases.

Rather hard to do, but I do like enderchests/tessaracts! Maybe use a turtle to transport the items with a Turtle Teleporter?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I really like AE so far, it really allows me to keep things organized enough that I don't quit playing because everything is a huge mess. Usually when I have ~20 double chests with semi sorted stuff I just don't know what I have and don't have anymore, which is usually when I want to start a new world. With a simple AE chest and a few early 1K modules everything is sorted enough that my head doesn't explode trying to figure out where stuff is.

I'm a huge fan of pipes as well though, BC was the first mod I ever used (besides texture packs) and I still prefer it over many other mods. If there is something that can be done easily with pipes I will use them without hesitation.

Railcraft would have to be 3rd for me, I like doing stuff with mine carts and this mod allows you to do practically anything. I'm not sure if sorting would be what I use railcraft for though.

RP2 tubes I don't know, I think they're pretty expensive as I'm always short on tin and copper. And I don't think it's realistic how smart they are for their cost. I like RP for its frames and other things though (deployer, buffer, etc.) which work well with other mods and BC pipes.

I'm not a fan of magic so I don't use TC or Golems, though I have to say Golems are one of the few things that might make me try TC in the future.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Golem and RP make a fairly awesome system IMHO.

Smart/advanced golems really shine at sorting in some places when you mix and match both the stone and clay. You can make some pretty clever push and pull based sorting.

ivymichael

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes when you want to keep a chest with some certain amount of stuff, golems may be the best choice.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I really like AE so far, it really allows me to keep things organized enough that I don't quit playing because everything is a huge mess. Usually when I have ~20 double chests with semi sorted stuff I just don't know what I have and don't have anymore, which is usually when I want to start a new world. With a simple AE chest and a few early 1K modules everything is sorted enough that my head doesn't explode trying to figure out where stuff is.
Did you know that you can still just throw everything into 20 diamond chests, slap an ME Storage Bus on each, and then access all of those items through an ME Access Terminal? The terminal lets you filter the inventory by typing in a search field, much like NEI.
You can do the same thing with a drive array, several storage disks (no need to format them), and the Access Interface.
Of course you can get very organized and initialize various storage drives for specific items so you can transport them around in an organized manner, then Formatting is a good plan.
There are many ways to skin a cat with AE :)

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I use BC because I can easily make a lag-reducing detector that detects if a certain condition is true and if it is it turns off the pipes for lag control.

You could probably do the same with transposers and some redstone, but I can smack a 2x3x2 detector on a timer/pipe and the updates every second are reduced.

BC and RP2 are essentially the same thing. BCs diffrent pipes = RP2s diffrent machines. RP2 pipes are slightly more smart than BC pipes, but BC pipes are much more fun to use (for me anyways) as I get to set up a complex system to make sure it doesn't muck up. An example being a bee system I have set up for an alveary that tries to put things in a chest, and if it can't, then it doesn't jam the system. It just flies out into my hallway of transposers and gets sucked right back into the system. Yeah, it's probably laggier than a RP2 system, but it looks cool to see bees falling down my waterfall, and then going to a chest and seeing everything get sorted.

Also, I don't like to use the same mod for everything. Item storage? Barrels. Tools? Omniwrench. Flying pigs? Trail mix. You can see that all my needs are supplied by diffrent mods, and not by just one mod called factoolization mix that does what all the other mods do already.

EDIT: Well then, that's quite funky. As soon as I post this, I resume my Direwolf20 video and INSTANTLY the first thing he builds is a detector to reduce lag. He's judging my ideas Q.Q

Ripley

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played with AE(not in DW20 pack yet) but it looks very cool.
It's kind of an endgame system though with the need to supply it with power constantly.

I love RP2 pipes, so smart, I would probably use those for nearly everything if relays didn't lag clients so much.
As it is I use RP2 pipes for my sorting system(with a few relays, as few as I can) and BC pipes for everything else.
BC pipes can be quite powerful thanks to gates and are basically needed for forestry.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played with AE(not in DW20 pack yet) but it looks very cool.
It's kind of an endgame system though with the need to supply it with power constantly.
It's not end game at all, just barely post-early-game at worst: Power it with a Batbox + Generator with a stack of coal in it.

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
I've played with AE on my test world and its epic, i hope it comes to the DW20 pack soon which is what my server runs. The crafting system is amazing, i tied it into some xycraft fabricaters with minum stones yesterday to make it able to auto-craft any colour dye I needed from any other dye type which was seriously handy.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Latest DW20 LP video states that it will be added the next time the modpack updates, and that he might even switch out his current sorting system over to an AE one.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Latest DW20 LP video states that it will be added the next time the modpack updates, and that he might even switch out his current sorting system over to an AE one.

He should because that barrel RP2 bridge is bo-jankity. He's going to need a buffer chest and filter just to hope that works. His problem is type collision.[DOUBLEPOST=1364421951][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not end game at all, just barely post-early-game at worst: Power it with a Batbox + Generator with a stack of coal in it.

Make sure to wire up a lever to turn it off! No sense wasting power. ApiSciMorgs uses a lever next to a redstone energy cell on our server and it works like a charm. She turns out the lights before she leaves like a good, rational person. :)

Reactions: ApSciLiara

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I gotta go with.

1. AE
2. Logistics Pipes
3. Red Power
4. Buildcraft
5. Golems
6. Railcraft

Akamir

Jul 29, 2019
AE is fantastic, I like to use them with routers for my ore processors. Have a legion of powered furnaces with two routers, an export and import bus as well as an interface for "crafting" jobs. Makes for cheap load-balancing!

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Really the best thing about AE is getting rid of tube/pipe lag. Seriously. It reduces that lag massively.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Not even close. I spend time daily tuning my AE system. All my drives are preformatted, with an overflow chest. I monitor the chest to see what needs to be added to my drives. Check on the drive to make sure none are getting too full. If so, split the items up or upgrade the drive or export any super-populous item to external storage (MFR's DSU in my case).

And then there's adding more auto-crafting recipes continually as I need them. I'll never manually craft a piston again I tell you! :)

Exactly. This is why adore AE so much, the tinkering and iterating... squeezing every bit of efficiency it can offer out of it. I'm a sysadmin irl so... a stable quiet humming system makes me happy, way deep down.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
AE is one of those mods that are just TOO good. While it is indeed vary powerful I think I'll be avoiding it until I've hit that point that I'll looking for silly end game stuff to pass the time with.

ultradolp

Jul 29, 2019
It is very interesting because player on my server takes vastly different approach in terms of item transport or processing.

We have a guy who made a huge base having tree farm (SC2), all kind of agriculture supported by bunch of golem. He even puts glass viewer on top of his base so we can watch the hilarious minion running around: Golem 1 Punch melon, Golem 2 pick them up and put it in a chest, Golem 3 pick it and put it to corresponding DSU. Meanwhile golem 4 and 5 take the wood from tree farm into furnace, which then taken by golem 6 to put in an array of generator.

In the meantime, I am just trying to dig a 3x3 chunk room for all my machines with my 8 boilers supporting all the machines

And we even have a master builder who made an awesome base in twilight, albeit hit by 2 instances of chunk reset and still looking so amazing