[POLL]BC Pipes VS RP Tubes VS AE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BC Pipes or RP Tubes

• Pipes

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Tubes

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • AE

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Unless, like me, you view efficiency as "cool". Then you win forever plus four (unitoids).
I see it as "pump stuff in here, forget about it" In my opinion (and I'm not saying this is an opinion that I believe others should share, like my other opinions) AE is about as cool as IC2 solars..

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
One thing i found Railcraft does better than the others is it can stock an inventory to an exact amount. And can pull from the inventory anything that does not match. Most of the time you do not need this level of inventory control, but when you do railcraft turns out to be the simplest/cheapest.

Golems can do this fairly well, but are range limited and can't handle stocking non stackables well.

Managers are designed to do this, but are pretty expensive, and use real items in the filtering setting.

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
I see it as "pump stuff in here, forget about it" In my opinion (and I'm not saying this is an opinion that I believe others should share, like my other opinions) AE is about as cool as IC2 solars..
Not even close. I spend time daily tuning my AE system. All my drives are preformatted, with an overflow chest. I monitor the chest to see what needs to be added to my drives. Check on the drive to make sure none are getting too full. If so, split the items up or upgrade the drive or export any super-populous item to external storage (MFR's DSU in my case).

And then there's adding more auto-crafting recipes continually as I need them. I'll never manually craft a piston again I tell you! :)

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I use golems for factorization and things that aren't quite compatible with pipes and such. Also for farms.
Pipes is for machines and simple smelting stuff.
AE is the ideal, but 1.) I'm not that smart, and 2.) it's costly.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
AE is in fact the best at almost everything except efficiency. It costs the most of any system listed.

Although sometimes doing things "the AE way" is more awkward, and of all the systems listed only Buildcraft can build proper ring buffers.[DOUBLEPOST=1364318025][/DOUBLEPOST]
Not even close. I spend time daily tuning my AE system. All my drives are preformatted, with an overflow chest. I monitor the chest to see what needs to be added to my drives. Check on the drive to make sure none are getting too full. If so, split the items up or upgrade the drive or export any super-populous item to external storage (MFR's DSU in my case).

And then there's adding more auto-crafting recipes continually as I need them. I'll never manually craft a piston again I tell you! :)

Sounds like you've got it down!

The only thing that holds me back from going 100% AE (besides laziness and crippling ennui and my job and my duties as a server admin and modpack compiler for the server) is the electrical cost.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

Personally, I do not enjoy having to constantly deal with storage systems backing up, getting clogged, falling into holes that are too deep to get out of, and all of the other silly things that often happen to more pedestrian (this is a bad thing, so you know, as per the Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times") systems.

kheeler

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that holds me back from going 100% AE (besides laziness and crippling ennui and my job and my duties as a server admin and modpack compiler for the server) is the electrical cost.

I would say my AE system is medium sized so far. It eats about 45 AE energy "units" per tick, which is about 8-10 MJ/t. Once you've got your first boiler up and running, the energy cost is negligible. It's easy to start small and just need a couple of MJ/t, or even just power it up as needed.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

AE trades some traditional problems for a whole new set of problems and options. You now need to sustain or manage power consumption, you have to organize 1-item cells that can contain untold fortunes, you need to be pathologically afraid of creepers getting into your server room, you need to manage migrating and upgrading your storage (which is why you can uncraft storage cells by the way). And, unlike every other storage system, AE cannot be coerced into crossing dimensional boundaries. The very best you can do is handoff between networks.

I suspect if you played with it more you'd realize that it is just a different style of play. It is not "easymode" except in the sense that you do not need to designate specific chests for things. Although you could still do that and it wouldn't be crazy to do!

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
AE trades some traditional problems for a whole new set of problems and options. You now need to sustain or manage power consumption, you have to organize 1-item cells that can contain untold fortunes, you need to be pathologically afraid of creepers getting into your server room, you need to manage migrating and upgrading your storage (which is why you can uncraft storage cells by the way). And, unlike every other storage system, AE cannot be coerced into crossing dimensional boundaries. The very best you can do is handoff between networks.

I suspect if you played with it more you'd realize that it is just a different style of play. It is not "easymode" except in the sense that you do not need to designate specific chests for things. Although you could still do that and it wouldn't be crazy to do!

I had the same looks like 'easymode' feeling watching the spotlights for it. Then i tried out some networks in creative and there is a lot of depth to the system. If you are OCD about efficiency there are a lot of interesting tradeoffs on energy consumption.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't go for a modular system that deactivates various lines on demand according to how you're currently using it (redstone on/off sections, item replenishment implementations, etc.), there is also always the option of hooking up a dedicated fusion reactor AE will auto-refuel for itself and energy needs become an afterthought.

I will eventually require this kinda thing due to the lunacy of stuff I'll have to monitor in my update-freeze long haul world. o_O

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
One of the aspects which I do usually feel rather scummy for is the use of tesseracts/enderchests. What I really should make, at some point, is a frame-moving quarry/miner ship (not entirely sure what I'd prefer to use for it), which automatically lays down a bridge and tracks, to drop off at a base via carts. This will likely wait until I have most of my infrastructure, as it'd be good for maintenance stuff, but the ever-increasing delays would probably struggle with expanding bases.