Pokemon Battle Institute - Discussion Thread!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Rate my Team section is finished.

Left to do:
  • Team building & other lessons
  • Tournament info
  • Rental teams

Edit: Lessons section has been updated. Will finish in due time.
Edit 2: Rental teams is done.

Last edited:

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
So everyone!

The main page is so good as finished. Only the tournament stuff needs to be written and i need to write some guides in the lesson part. But that will be done in due time. (and on request)
Our "Institute" is now usable.

So i'd like to see some teams and battle requests from people cause that is what we are ment to do here. I'll start off with an RMT later today. But i'll be leaving in 5 min

Hope everyone enjoys it

Cause i've written alot the last 2 days ;) and i still need to do the guides XD

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Dylly, I've some bad news; Khangaskan-mega's parental bond is actually illegal in uber now, as far as I can tell.
Oh lol. Let me check that out. Its about time tho :p

edit: Nope i just loaded up showdown went to ubers and started a battle with mega kang. its still ubers ;)

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Just logged on and I'm super pissed that my speed boost -> swords dance -> baton pass scoliopede is banned from ou now >_>

So yeah, I need a support poke, preferably who can baton off some speed or attack, since having both is illegal. Suggestions? Just tested, team works fine without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Just logged on and I'm super pissed that my speed boost -> swords dance -> baton pass scoliopede is banned from ou now >_>

So yeah, I need a support poke, preferably who can baton off some speed or attack, since having both is illegal. Suggestions? Just tested, team works fine without it.
If you want a mon that acts the same like scolipede. for with baton pass i'd suggest Ninjask
However he is in NU cause of its weaknesses.

Also a support pokemon with agility, sword dance & batton pass would also work
But if you say your team works fine without.. :p

Also why don't you do an Rate My Team
Im interested in it now and would like to see it. And rate it :)

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Also why don't you do an Rate My Team
Im interested in it now and would like to see it. And rate it :)
Exspiravit (Gengar) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

Putredo (Pinsir-Mega) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Bulk Up

Hydrus (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Tail Going to change this, just don't know to what yet.
- Earthquake

Harenarius (Machamp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Anguis (Serperior) (F) @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse
As much as I like this set, I need a supporter for rocks and/or spikes. Probably ferrothorn.

Šarkan (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
So, a few things. Yes, I nickname all of my pokes in Latin, unless it sounds weird, then I go Slovak. Also, I've been leading with machamp, just because a quick kill on the lead can totally screw a game.

Edit: forgot to close a bold >_>

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Looks good. A few things..

Gengar has black sludge. Gengar is, seen by its EV spread. A speedy killer. What i know about gengar is that it needs to kill its oppenent before it gets hit it self cause its very squishy. So i don't know how your black sludge works out. I recommend. a choice scarf since you don't have a scarfed mon on your team

Pinsir looks great, Nothing to comment on.

Gyrados as a tank.. Never seen that before. I'd like to know how that one is working for you. Instead of dragon tail use Stone edge. You have nothing to deal with flying / bug types

Machamp looks good as a tanky killer. Instead of 16 spd i would give him 16 def cause he already has the assault vest. (unless this is to counter a specific mon that im forgetting about) Ice punch for flying types, Altho flying types are most often physical attackers so machamp probbably won't survive unless you have a good switch in. depends on preference. Poison jab for fairys is good. But only 1 pokemon that can deal with fairys...

Ferrothorn sounds good. Since you have a gyrados tank. But i don't know how good a gyrados can take a heatran's fire blast? might be good to check that out, As moveset i'd say. Spikes - stealth rock - earthquake/power whip - gyro ball/power whip
Depending on what your team needs more a defensive or sp.def mon you can choose to give him either leftovers or rocky helmet. If you decide to run rocky helmet you might also want to switch out eq/pw for leech seed

Dragonite seems ok. Woudn't know what to change about him.

Verdict:
Your teams base looks good. But you have some weird sets like black sludge gengar & tanky gyrados. im would like you to tell me more about them. You also have nothing to deal with clefable. Giving someone roar or getting a fairy killer would be good.

Tips:
You posted your team and gave some things you want to change. But what would be usefull is if you give some information about each mon. Like who leads etc etc. (take a look at my example ;) )
if you wish you can edit this in and i might be able to take a better look at it.

One question, Is this the team you want to put up as rental or not (you copied the showdown thing so i guese you don't mind me putting it up???)

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely! Use it, change it, I could care less :p

Tanky gyrados can usually survive a couple hits if I switch him in right, and that sludge gengar, well, I don't have any reason for that, just needed an item for her. I usually use gengar as a scout with a quick sub, then destiny bond if I can't counter, use the attacks if I'm both faster and can get super effective, or switch out. It works pretty well, and I've never seen it used before on gengar, so it's unexpected.

And now I'm going to umpire some 8 year old baseball games so I'll edit in the roles and usage in about 3-4 hours.

Reactions: dylanpiera

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely! Use it, change it, I could care less :p

Tanky gyrados can usually survive a couple hits if I switch him in right, and that sludge gengar, well, I don't have any reason for that, just needed an item for her. I usually use gengar as a scout with a quick sub, then destiny bond if I can't counter, use the attacks if I'm both faster and can get super effective, or switch out. It works pretty well, and I've never seen it used before on gengar, so it's unexpected.

And now I'm going to umpire some 8 year old baseball games so I'll edit in the roles and usage in about 3-4 hours.
I'll have the time to start my werewolf game in a little bit, Then i'll make a team and put it up here ;)