Pokemon Battle Institute - Discussion Thread!

dylanpiera

Jul 29, 2019
Welcome everyone tot he Pokemon Battle Institute!

This is a place were everyone that just likes pokemon a little bit. To real pokemon lovers to meet up on the FTB Forums. But this is not only a meet up place. It is also a place to discuss the things we are gona do!

Such as:
  1. Pokemon Tournaments! - We will be hosting tournaments for fun. And maybe even for some prices!
  2. Ranked Battles! - We will keep our rankings up and running to see who is our official best battler!
  3. Free Battles! - Just play some matches for fun. And not for the glory! to test out your team !
  4. Rate My Team! - You need help improving your team? Let us rate your team!
  5. Team Building lessons! - Have you never build a team? Or played pokemon (that much) We can get you going with some simple lessons! Free of charge ofcourse. ;)
All these things named above will be done on regulair bases here in this thread!
All the explenations will be found below.
We battle on a site called Pokemon Showdown! You should check it out if you don't know it yet.

I'll have more time to finish the spoilers later today so don't worry ^_^
If you are familiair with how to play pokemon. Pokemon showdown won't be that hard to learn!

If you go to there site. You should press the button "Play Online" (or you can install it on windows)
After you've done that you come to this page (you can also use this link to go there)

Before you do anything. You should choose a name. In the top right of your screen it says "Choose name" You can log in with any name that hasn't been registered yet. You can also register your name if you don't want to lose it! (Highly recommended)
For further reference this is what the site should look like:
upload_2015-8-28_8-19-28.png

In the middle you can join live chat rooms were you can ask people to battle with you or just ask for information. our "Chat Room" will be the forums!

In the top left you can see "Random Battle" (random team) this is were you select the "Gamemode" you want to play. Also called battle style. Random battles will give you a random team every time you play. Fun to play around with some times. If you want to do any format that is not random. There will be some tier usages and a limited amount of pokemon. You will also have to make the team manually then. See Team Building Lessons for more info!

Under that is the Team Builder. This is the place were you are gona spend the most time next to battling. Here is were you. Build your team! For more information how to use the team builder See Team Building Lessons for more info!

All other buttons can be used in some way shape or form. But are not important right now. You can check them out if you want to :)

if you want to battle someone else in the Institute, Be sure to both be online and picked a name. Then press the "Find a user" Button. Type in the name. And a popup with "Chat / Challenge" appears.

I hope this helped you get the basics of this site!
Most of you in here are not advanced competitive Pokemon players,
Whice doesn't matter at all here. But if one player always loses with their team to another team. The player might be bad or the team is just not good enough?

That is were Rate My Team aka RMT comes in to play!
You post any team you made, is it a fun team, A trolly team. Or a full powerhouse team. It doesn't matter!
Just post it and everyone else can rate it for you. Sounds simple? Well there are a few 'rules'
Here i will give an example of an RMT if you follow this template i'll guarantee you, you won't fail ;)

I've made this team with the main focus of being the champion of the kanto region in my pokemon rpg game. It is based on hoenn with 2 of my favorite pokemon from other regions

In my game we didn't use EV's / Natures so thats why it doesn't have any.
I started with Latias & Swampert as the main part of my team.

MudSmash (Swampert) @ none
Ability: Damp
Shiny: No
EVs: none
Serious Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Power-Up Punch

Swampert is my favorite starter. And he is pretty viable in OU, I didn't want to make my team Full OU cause it was supposed to be a champion team but this is one of them that is. The moveset is a mix of Mega Swampert & Setup Swampert, Again not focusing on anything to not make it OP. Ability damp is just random.

Soaras (Latias) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EV's: none
Serious Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Psychic

Latias is my favorite pokemon of them all. And altho i dislike the mega evolution. To make the focus on the team be on latias i made her my mega. I run mega latias as a setup sweeper with roost cause she is so defensive. Calm mind to setup, Roost to keep the HP up. Psychic & Dragon pulse to have some coverage. (Luckly no dark fairy types excist)

After this i chose some other Hoenn pokemon i love. Flygon & Breloom

Flyyy!! (Flygon) @ none
EV's none
Serious Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- U-Turn

Flygon is a mon in UU, And not even the strongest there. But i just like him to much to leave him out of my team. He is focus'd on just flat out killing poeple. Earthquake & Draco meteor to kill some mons. And if i already had used Draco Meteor and i can't use Earthquake i'd use Dragon Claw. Getting some mobility with U-Turn

1-Up! (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Shiny: Yes
EV's none
Serious Nature
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Facade

I really love using Breloom, People were really confused when i gave him a toxic orb. Untill they damaged me and found out i had Poison Heal. Breloom is just here to drain all your hp. Toxic Orb & Drain punch to keep alive. Mach punch for revange killing and Seed Bomb + Facade for alot of damage.

After this i tought what am i missing. I am missing someone else that can volt-switch / u-turn and im missing a tank. So i took some pokemon from other generations. Alomomola (i wrote this in once try. :p) and Greninja.

Alomohomola (Alomomola) @ none
Ability: Regenerator
EV's none
Serious Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

For some this probbably was the most annoying pokemon on my team. Alomomola is there to tank hits. And then wish protect his hp back. Toxic to damage the enemy and scald for if i already had toxic'd the enemy. Regenerator is one of the best ability's in the game! Every time you switch out your pokemon restores 1/3 of his hp! Together with Flygon & Greninja.. Lets just say Alomomola is for some their bane of existence.

That scarf tho. (Greninja) @ none
Ability: Protean
EV's none
Serious Nature
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- U-Turn

Greninja is the only pokemon in my team that currently is in Ubers. Altho back in the day being in OU he has been moved up to Ubers for 1 move. Gunk shot. Mine doesn't have that so i decided to still use it.
He is there to keep the mobility going with Flygon, And even u-turn back into alomomola when damaged.
His ability Protean is amazing. Not only getting stab on every move he does. He would also confuse the enemy alot. Changing typing by every move he uses was for some really confusing.

So this was my team. As you can see alot of toughts went into this team. I made it as if i were making a fun competetive team. And it worked really well. No-one legitametly beat my team. (when their pokemon were 10 levels higher someone beat me by a crit ^_^) I shoudl've probbably made the team a bit weaker but. This is how my team would be if pokemon were real! so i decided to go with it ;)

This was my RMT now onto the rating. I'll give an example of rating right now.

This team looks very good Dylan, I have a few suggestions to make it better tho.

Maybe you should make swampert your mega and give it rain dance instead of power-up punch
Then i'd change latias to be life orbed, Draco meteor, Psychic, Defog & Healingwish as a suicide support

You could try and change U-Turn on greninja to Gunk Shot. It is really strong but has less acuraccy. Same for flygon only change it with Stone Edge to be able to defeat flying & bug types

your team looks pretty solid all around tho :)

Positive critacism is always welcome. Normally suggestions like changing out a certain pokemon for another one also can be done. To changing EV spreads to the items. But since this team didn't have that i can't show that in this example.

Everyone can Put his / her team up for rating and may rate others. If your doing an "Unserious" rating make that clear then ;)

You should always try your team out. Even if you already put a RMT on here. its also usefull to say "This pokemon kills my main sweeper and is the only problem i have with this team"

If you want you can post a showdown importable text (in a spoiler) to with your RMT
This means you allow other people to use your team and it will be put into Rental teams.
DISLAIMER: If a team you put up for rating and you DID NOT put up a importable text. No-one can use this team in a tournament you are in!

Good luck posting your RMT. One last thing Please put RMT's in spoilers so the pages won't fill up that much :)
Most of you are or old players, or new players to Pokemon! Its usefull to know some tips and tricks to the competetive plays. Else you might just get destroyed. I will write a few guides about the basics. And team building if anyone wants private skype(chat) lessons this is also possible

Press the link to go to that "episode" Of 'Guide to playing pokemon online for fun'
Any chapter that does not have a link yet is unfinished. Will soon be finished!
  • Typing & Effectiveness
  • Moves & Stab
  • Statuses
  • Tiers & Viability
  • Basics of Teambuilding
  • Advanced Teambuilding
For private lessons contact me on skype "dylanpiera" Or send me a PM on the forums.

Comming soon!
None atm just yet :)

Ranked battles are 6 on 6 matches on a predetermined tier.

Tiers: Random Battles - Ubers - OverUsed - UnderUsed - RarlyUsed - NeverUsed - LittleCup
For a full list of what pokemon are in what tier click on the tier name!

Random Battles: You both get 6 random pokemon and battle for victory!

For a ranked battle to count these things must be considered:
  • If one of the two players leaves they lose (all 6 pokemon have been defeated)
  • If one of the two players loses their internet. It is a draw (won't count to ranking)
  • A replay must be saved - See saving replay little bit under here
  • You can only use pokemon from that tier and below. For example if you do an ou battle, you can only use pokemon from OU, UU, RU, NU & LC not from ubers!
  • The battle must be done with someone else in the Institute!
Point system:
For each ranked battle you do you can get X amount of points. These points makes your place in the ranking! they work as the following:
  • You get 1 point for every enemy pokemon defeated.
  • You get 2 points for every pokemon thats still alive on your side after the battle
  • you get 1 point for winning a battle
Points only will be given to you after you've handed over the link of battle replay!

Battle Replay:
After you've finished a battle on showdown there will be a button saying "Share Replay"
upload_2015-8-28_13-20-2.png

After pressing this button you need to wait a few seconds. Untill a popup shows up!
"Your replay has been uploaded! It's available at: [LINK]"

If you send this link to me via PM or in this Thread I will imediatly add the points
Anyone that wants to make their team public should make an RMT and put a showdown importable in there. If you do so this team will also be put here in "Rental Teams" whice means anyone can use this team.
DISCLAIMER: two people can't use the same rental team in a tournament!

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Spikes

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Arceus @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Focus Blast
- Judgment
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Protect
- Thunder

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
MudSmash (Swampert)
Ability: Damp
Level: 100
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Power-Up Punch

Flyyy!! (Flygon)
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn

Alomohomola (Alomomola)
Ability: Regenerator
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

1-Up! (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
- Mach Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Drain Punch
- Facade

That scarf tho. (Greninja)
Ability: Protean
- Scald
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Soaras (Latias) @ Latiasite
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Psychic
Exspiravit (Gengar) (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

Putredo (Pinsir-Mega) (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor
- Bulk Up

Hydrus (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake

Harenarius (Machamp) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Anguis (Serperior) (F) @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Dragon Pulse

Šarkan (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

If there are any more questions, Just ask them in this thread! or send me a PM!
Q: Why didn't you finish any of the spoilers!!!
A: I didn't have the time to do it right away. But i'll finish them as soon as possible!!

Q: What about your other forum games??
A: Telltale will continue. Pokemon RPG will be revamped and added in its own way into this game!

Q: How do i battle someone?
A: Just ask them if they feel like battling! You can try and ping anyone on the ping list. If you don't know how to challange someone on showdown. Look at the basic info of showdown spoiler ;)

Are you sold? Yes? Well join our ping list so we can see who is here to play some Pokemon!
  • dylanpiera
  • the_j485
  • LivingAngryCheese
  • Pizzawolf14
  • xTordX
  • Lumaceon
  • Playerismc
  • Someone Else 37
  • Smaragd27
  • Witherblaster

Last edited:
Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'd like to join the ping list, please.

*goes and adds all the tiers to spreadsheet*

Edit: Then again, the webpages Dylan linked aren't formatted in a way that's at all easy to deal with, so I'd have to either type in data for 600+ pokemon manually or write a script capable of parsing the webpage and reformatting it in a useful way. Naturally, I chose the latter; but after a couple hours of futzing, I have yet to get any kind of regular expressions working in Haskell at all. There's one more thing that I might try; but if that doesn't work, I'll give up for tonight and maybe try again with Python tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: dylanpiera