Plus+ Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

There we go, the last word was yours even if I did not read it (sorry, in convention of social requirement, not actual sorrow). This is the epilogue. Sorted? Sorted.

You two aren't even arguing about Plusplus anymore, just give it a rest.

Sure sure, although at this point this topic has proven that the ++Pack discussion is going to degrade into a discussion regarding legality in which neither side is qualified, which I'd say is less on topic than MagusUnion and I horsing around.

Indeed it seems we cannot convince each other. And that is fine by me. But it was worth a try :)

Exactly. If you've given it a good clean shot, and two less clean but still worthwhile shots, then call it a day. It isn't worth your energy to try and convince people of something that you believe when they don't want to be convinced.

Now then, to try and get back on topic again, has anyone tried the ++Pack? There does appear to be a launcher, although I have yet to even try downloading it.

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
As has been stated several times, a goon (as referenced in this thread) is a member of the Something Awful forms (http://forums.somethingawful.com).

Allow me to also enlighten what a Goon actually does, in any gaming community... This is a quote of their 'gaming philosophy' within another game...

... At the same time, there is the much more unsettling opposite idea of the domination of my screen persona over my "real" self. Our social identity, the person we assume to be in our social intercourse, is already a "mask" that involves the repression of our inadmissible impulses. But it is precisely in the conditions of "just playing" - when the rules regulating our "real life" exchanges are temporarily suspended - that we can permit ourselves to display these repressed attitudes. Take the proverbial impotent shy person who, while participating in a cyberspace interactive game, adopts the identity of an irresistible seducer or sadistic murderer. It is all too simple to say that this identity is just an imaginary escape from real-life impotence. The point is rather that, since he knows that the cyberspace interactive game is "just a game," he can "show his true self" and do things he would never have done in real-life interactions. In the guise of a fiction, the truth about himself is articulated. The fact that I perceive my virtual self-image as mere play thus allows me to suspend the usual hindrances which prevent me from realising my "dark half" in real life...

Essentially, the Goon uses his virtual ID as an excuse to get away with slanderous and hideous behavior. However, even psychological reports show that not only is this bad, it's also leads to a rampant disregard for standard morals...

...The research indicates that people should be aware of the prevalence of disparaging humor in popular culture, and that the guise of benign amusement or “it’s just a joke” gives it the potential to be a powerful and widespread force that can legitimize prejudice in our society...

While this particular article applies only to sexism in the video game world (which can lead to a lifetime ban on Xbox Live, hilariously), It can also apply with such things as racial hate, religious prejudice, or other types of discrimination. While the Goon may believe this is ok, I would like to think others will not...
How does this relate to the OT? Modpacks are centered around a specific community. You don't just make a pack for yourself (common sense says no on that). Technic is centered around SA. Plus++ is centered around a semi private community of Americans (Texan Republicans, if that tweet account is to be believable). Mod developers who want nothing to do with these packs, do not want to be apart of these communities for what they stand for. Hence why distribution of mods is a big deal: because mod authors can decide who is allowed to share their content. Why would they not be open to allowing a group to have their mod? Look at their community. Look at their track record. If a mod developer doesn't feel comfortable with what that community does, then of course they won't share their mod.

Yet the modpack creators push and push to grab these mods from authors for their own ends. Mod authors don't want their content to be apart of something they don't stand for. I know I don't want my mod to be Technic. If other mods are ok with the idea, then go ahead, its their mod anyway. But mod authors have a right to control their content, because of how modpacks operate. There are many reasons for this beyond 'legality'. Look at Technic, Look at Feed the Beast. Think of the kinds of communities modpacks create...

That's big reason to be divide on the issue... Because mods sponsor the modpack, not the other way around...

Reactions: canilsen
Status
Not open for further replies.