Playing from a flash Drive!?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

JMuck

Hello folks,

I've heard of other mod packs being played directly from a flash drive. I was wondering if any one here has attempted it with anything like FTB Infinity and had any success. If not I'll give it a few trys and find out.

Thanks

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Faster startup times, quicker virtual memory access if that's a thing in minecraft (no idea, would only apply to players with low RAM anyway)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Would it be faster load times? My experience with flash drives has been pretty slow.

Edit: To be fair, I haven't used one in years, and I have a SSD, so maybe I'm just spoiled.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
The term "flash drive" is a bit confusing because it could be used for both an SSD and a usb "thumb drive." (and if you think about it, even the term SSD is confusing... but, you get the gist)

USB3 is fast enough, however, just because a "thumb drive" uses USB3 it does not mean that it is fast. A lot of USB3 thumb drives have read/write speeds so slow that they might as well use USB2 instead, it wouldn't make a difference.
So if you are buying a USB3 thumb drive, make sure to check all the specs, and not assume that the USB3 connection will be used to its full capacity.
Better yet, read some reviews on tech sites, where actual tests are done, because, just because the specs say that... well, you get the gist.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, guess that explains why the flash drives I've used have never impressed.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Well, guess that explains why the flash drives I've used have never impressed.

Also, the speed of the drive is irrelevant if you plug it into a USB 1.0 port :D

For reference, here are the maximum transfer speeds for each version... A faster device plugged into an older version port will never exceed the old version speed:

USB
1.0 = 1.5MB/sec
1.1 = 12MB/sec
2.0 = 480MB/sec
3.0 = 5GB/sec
3.1 = 10GB/sec
3.2 = 20GB/sec (Ratified in Sept. 2017)

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
The last time I bought a flash drive, 3.0 was still uncommon, so I'm sure it was that 5gb version. I generally use Dropbox and Google drive.

I am still using it now though, because I broke my PC in an I'll advised attempt to "wing it" installing and then immediately uninstalling (both fir the first time) linux, which broke the boot sector. Somewhere in my ritualistic chanting and live chicken sacrifices, I managed to accidentally get my pc to boot again, but only if the flash drive is plugged in. If it gets pulled out at any time the PC is on, it'll crash.

I'm not expecting anyone to help me fix that, btw. I just wanted you all to know how dumb I am, lol

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The last time I bought a flash drive, 3.0 was still uncommon, so I'm sure it was that 5gb version. I generally use Dropbox and Google drive.

I am still using it now though, because I broke my PC in an I'll advised attempt to "wing it" installing and then immediately uninstalling (both fir the first time) linux, which broke the boot sector. Somewhere in my ritualistic chanting and live chicken sacrifices, I managed to accidentally get my pc to boot again, but only if the flash drive is plugged in. If it gets pulled out at any time the PC is on, it'll crash.

I'm not expecting anyone to help me fix that, btw. I just wanted you all to know how dumb I am, lol
I... think I know what you did, and how to fix it, but it would involve a complete reformat and booting from USB stick a version of Linux you wish to use. You would need to install linux completely if you wanted to put Windows back on it. If you are interested in this, you can message me for details.

J

JMuck

Usb3 is on part with ssd. I play from a thumb because I use 2 different machines.

This is a great walk through that got me going if you want to give it a try

https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/portable-age-of-engineering.255886/#post-1915853

Using the same format. Bat file you can also download through OneClient portable jar if you want a launcher. Works good if a bit slow to move around in.

Thanks,

I'll try that today see how I get on. The main reason I want it is that I work away from home a lot and spend quite a bit of time in hotel rooms with nothing to do so was hoping I could do a plug and play option, but finding any details on how to do it is proving difficult. I will post back here on my progress!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Nah, it's all good. The main reason I hadn't fixed it yet already is that I just don't want to go through all that. I was just so happy I didn't end up having to format and didn't lose my stuff that I just left it there, figuring one day if I do format it fir other reasons, it'll take care of it then. Thanks though!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Would it be faster load times? My experience with flash drives has been pretty slow.

Edit: To be fair, I haven't used one in years, and I have a SSD, so maybe I'm just spoiled.
If the drive in question has faster read speeds than a hard drive, the big load into RAM will be quicker. Granted a lot of that is CPU processing, but there should be some improvement.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

You didn't use the ritual that has you sprinkle blood directly on the drive's boot sector, did you? That's from the "False Apocrypha", which has been shown to be a Troll Tome and generally causes havoc to the system... :D

Reactions: Drbretto