Pipes. Again.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I'm with Ham, that's more of a nudge awake than full on Necromancy - and it was done with a subject-appropriate post that's sparked more discussion!

Now, a question for you Red: Have you tried out Thermal Dynamics's Super-Laminar fluiduct? That's supposed to have a very high throughput as long as its kept up.

I would also emphatically endorse the Super-Laminar Fluiduct. It's what I use for my Extreme Reactors Turbines.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Super Lams are indeed very nice but a little finicky in that they must remain pressurized (fully filled- 8000mb per duct piece) to maintain their infinite throughput. This is great for sources that pump or auto-output at high volume. If the consumer pulls more than the producer they will lose pressure and a high volume consumer can easily outstrip a resonant servo pulling from a static source. The Thermal Dynamics fluid allocator conveniently outputs 8 buckets (and does some pretty neat additional stuff).

That Mek pump, at default config and max upgrades, only pumps at 500mb/t. A really good infinite source is the goofy sink from cooking with blockheads but it doesn't auto output. Nuclearcrafts water sources do pump out but at fixed rates.

For easy mode max_int fluid transfer try Integrated Tunnels exporters and interfaces, Pressure Pipes stuff or the AA fluid laser relays.

Had to laugh at your Mek 'silly piping system' comment. I've had a few networked Mek Hilbert curve setups in my basement- 1M Rf/t off of basic universals, yah baby!

Reactions: Reddis

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Super Lams are indeed very nice but a little finicky in that they must remain pressurized (fully filled- 8000mb per duct piece) to maintain their infinite throughput. This is great for sources that pump or auto-output at high volume. If the consumer pulls more than the producer they will lose pressure and a high volume consumer can easily outstrip a resonant servo pulling from a static source. The Thermal Dynamics fluid allocator conveniently outputs 8 buckets (and does some pretty neat additional stuff).

That Mek pump, at default config and max upgrades, only pumps at 500mb/t. A really good infinite source is the goofy sink from cooking with blockheads but it doesn't auto output. Nuclearcrafts water sources do pump out but at fixed rates.

For easy mode max_int fluid transfer try Integrated Tunnels exporters and interfaces, Pressure Pipes stuff or the AA fluid laser relays.

Had to laugh at your Mek 'silly piping system' comment. I've had a few networked Mek Hilbert curve setups in my basement- 1M Rf/t off of basic universals, yah baby!

@InThayne This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for, thank you for taking the time to post. I did experiment with Super Lams last night and it ramped up my throughput CONSIDERABLY but then I ran into the maximum output of the Mek Electric Pump. Can you please make a suggestion for a pump that has unlimited output with bonus points for drawing from a single source block? If a single source block is not possible, perhaps you can make a suggestion on how to achieve a similar result. At the end of the night I was able to increase my Industrial Turbine RF output by 4x but it is still not what I am looking for. My end goal is to get my Mek boiler producing as close to 2m steam/t as possible and my turbine using up that steam just as fast. I want them blade spinning a top speed!

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
More fully upgraded pumps feeding into a manifold intake for your boiler?
But for your single source block needs, as much as I dislike using it, the dang CfB sink can't be beat...but she doesn't output. Not sure of your modpack but some of the suggestions mentioned above should be available.

Reactions: Reddis

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
lol if Mekanism pumps produce 500 mb/t I would need 4,000 pumps to produce 2m. That just isn't realistic, which is why I asked if you had another solution. I will try the sink, I can hide it in the wall and not have to look at it.

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
... I will try the sink, I can hide it in the wall and not have to look at it.

That is the worst thing about it I agree. If they called it the Arderousian Hydrater and removed the lil' faucet and dish rag I would be more comfortable using it.
Let us know how that works, interested to see your final numbers with the turbine. Never caught what your steam source was, as closed looping might also be an option.
Always so many options which a large part of the fun.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
That is the worst thing about it I agree. If they called it the Arderousian Hydrater and removed the lil' faucet and dish rag I would be more comfortable using it.
Let us know how that works, interested to see your final numbers with the turbine. Never caught what your steam source was, as closed looping might also be an option.
Always so many options which a large part of the fun.

The Mek steam boiler multiblock.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hmmm...

For this level of throughput, the only winning move, is not to play. In this case, you aren't looking for pipes, you're looking for something entirely different. In this case, you are looking for the EnderIO Reservoir. It is a 2x2x1 multiblock structure. The important thing here is that you can whack it with a wrench and it will auto-output, no pipes needed. I'm not sure about output rates, but try it and see if it works any better.

Cooking With Blockhead's Sink block is a truly infinite water source in a single block, the only problem is pump rate. You can try SuperLam with Enderium Servo.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
lol if Mekanism pumps produce 500 mb/t I would need 4,000 pumps to produce 2m. That just isn't realistic, which is why I asked if you had another solution. I will try the sink, I can hide it in the wall and not have to look at it.
Wait, you want to produce 2000 buckets of water every 1/20th of a second from a single block of water (totalling 1 bucket) and you are concerned about realism? :D
If anything, 4000 pumps and an ocean would be more realistic...

Another advanced option (that'll you have to configure yourself) is to use Modular Machinery, and add a machine recipe that for some power, produces a massive amount of water per t. Might actually be more performance friendly too.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Not concerned about realism in the slightest. I'm concerned about making that mekanism turbine spin at max speed.

I actually think Sneeeky's suggestion of the EIO reservoir with super lams is the right answer.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I always found the EnderIO Reservoir to be.. slow... The sink is much faster.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I always found the EnderIO Reservoir to be.. slow... The sink is much faster.
The sink also doesn't auto-output, while the Reservoir does. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't. But the throttle here isn't throughput, it's output speed from the source itself.

Ironically, what you may need to do is have a sink connected to a Reservoir connected to the boiler, so that the sink can keep the Reservoir topped off.