Petroleum Generator (A Forestry-esque BC/IC crossover mod)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Great idea. In my tekkit days I only used IC power (with power converters to power the BC stuff), so had all this oil that I didn't really know what to do with. I did learn you could turn to fuel, and then can it up, and chuck it into a generator, but, yuck really :D

Hope this mod get's included in FTB when it's updated.

Don't really care about numbers, almost everything in Minecraft is renewable, especially with ages. I actually like the idea of players running out of resources, as it forces players to explore for more resources and/or build alternate systems to generate resources.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
<trumpets>
Now at Version 1.0!!
</trumpets>

<firework />

A minor change really, simply an update to IC2 v1.110.

Download now

Also, downloads have been moved to Dropbox as Github stopped hosting download files, which sucks.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

Updated now for Minecraft 1.4.6 - works with IC2 v1.112 and Buildcraft 3.3.0. This means it should work with the new packs that will be coming out soon for the FTB launcher.

Look forward to playing with this in the new packs. There have been some significant Forge changes so let me know if you come across any strange behaviour with the latest version of this mod.

EDIT: Also, github is down for maintenance hence the images being borked - they should come back up when github does ;)

Reactions: Sengir

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Excellent, I'm currently building my 1.4.6 world which will be the one I play on for quite a while and was hoping you would update fairly quickly, I do love being able to burn those geysers :)

Reactions: DrCeph

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
News! Petroleum Generator has been included in the Minecrack 1.4.6 modpack in the FTB launcher!

Looking forward to see if PetroGen makes the cut for some of the other upcoming packs in FTB. I'm personally hoping it makes it into the Ultimate pack, which is the pack my SMP server will be using.

At any rate, stoked to have this included in a pack, happy playing!

Whilst talking about the mods future, a cosmetic note, I'm aware that the Petroleum Generator is 'dumb' when it comes to block placement orientation - the faceplate always faces in the same direction. This will be changed in an upcoming release.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
News! Petroleum Generator has been included in the Minecraft 1.4.6 modpack in the FTB launcher.

Looking forward to see if PetroGen makes the cut for some of the other upcoming packs in FTB. I'm personally hoping it makes it into the Ultimate pack, which is the pack my SMP server will be using.

At any rate, stoked to have this included in a pack, happy playing!

Whilst talking about the mods future, a cosmetic note, I'm aware that the Petroleum Generator is 'dumb' when it comes to block placement orientation - the faceplate always faces in the same direction. This will be changed in an upcoming release.

Congratz on a great mod. This is just what I wanted in my chrissy stocking. x

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.2 of PetroGen is out.

Download it now!

Access the controls! Since a class-action suit against DrCeph industries by engineers with malformed hands, Petroleum Generator has been improved such that a newly placed generator will now have the faceplate facing towards the player that placed the block. No longer will your activity light be obscured by the wall of your secret lair.

Burn all the things! If using alongside TrainCraft, Petroleum Generator will enable an IC2-based processing chain to turn those fields of Oil Sands and Crude Oil ore pockets into sweet* Liquid Oil. Check the main post for details on the processing chain.

* DrCeph Industries only recommends consumption of Buildcraft Oil by machines, androids, DrCeph's in-laws and Alblaka.

Reactions: Saice

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You sir... You are awesome. The Shoop approves and now in return must convert to Oil based fuels because of your awesomeness.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yay, after I read the post about you adding this I was excited to see a use for the traincraft ores. Didn't expect it to come so soon :D Very happy with this. I don't know if I will ever get into traincraft so it is great I have a reason to even look at the ores it brings in now. Thank you so much for this wonderful ability.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Burn the world!

You know that gives me an idea. An idea you might like and can reject or use as you see fit.

You know what we need? An incinerator something we can throw unwanted stuff into and burn.

Is that like a crappy recycler you ask... Well yeah but BURN. It should be inefficient and make smoke.

What does it do? Well you feed it stuff it burns that stuff and you get some waste back sometimes. Basically what I would hope for is when you burn something you have a small chance to get back ash or other fitting waste based on what your burning up. Throw in old tools have something like 50% chance for ash and like 0.5% chance for sludge or dust or something related (iron dust from iron tool). Nothing OP just something that has a bit of Flavor to add to things and is a different path then Recycler -> Scrap -> Scrap box -> Dispenser.

Even have a mock up of what I would dream of as a space inefficient build (3x3)

Burnallthings by Saice, on Flickr

Just an idea.

Uzas

Jul 29, 2019
So first off this mod is amazing. It made me want to go out and gather up all the oil on my map and I also went through my old mineshafts collecting that crude oil that I presumed was useless. I'm using the Mindcrack version of FTB and it has the Petrogenerator which I am going to make soon, just got my refinery going, however when I put the crude oil into the macerator it doesn't do anything.

So I am wondering how to enable this function, do I have to manually add something to my launcher?. Hopefully this question isn't too foolish =P

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
So first off this mod is amazing. It made me want to go out and gather up all the oil on my map and I also went through my old mineshafts collecting that crude oil that I presumed was useless. I'm using the Mindcrack version of FTB and it has the Petrogenerator which I am going to make soon, just got my refinery going, however when I put the crude oil into the macerator it doesn't do anything.

So I am wondering how to enable this function, do I have to manually add something to my launcher?. Hopefully this question isn't too foolish =P

Yea I am having the same problem too. It seems the Crude oil gathered from the world has a ID of 246 with a sub ID of 246 also instead of just being 246. Seems it makes the the mod not recognize it for for maceration. It works fine if you get it from NEI/Creative mode however. You can for now just trade the amount you have with an equal amount from NEI, unless you are on SMP or think that would be cheating of course. Hopefully it will be fixed :D

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
however when I put the crude oil into the macerator it doesn't do anything.

Yea I am having the same problem too.

It might be because he just added that to the mod so the Mindcrack version is actually a build behind. You might just need to manually update the mod.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I did manually update the mod. I grabbed it the moment he updated it yesterday :) I just hadn't had time to actually test it myself. It works fine with Cheated-In Crude Oil blocks but not with naturally gathered ones because of the mixed up sub-IDs/Meta Data

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Yea I am having the same problem too. It seems the Crude oil gathered from the world has a ID of 246 with a sub ID of 246 also instead of just being 246. Seems it makes the the mod not recognize it for for maceration. It works fine if you get it from NEI/Creative mode however. You can for now just trade the amount you have with an equal amount from NEI, unless you are on SMP or think that would be cheating of course. Hopefully it will be fixed :D

Bejesus, top spotting. After a bit of testing here it seems that Traincraft generates ore in a strange way. It has correctly registered the item ID in the OreDictionary, which is the item that shows in NEI (no metadata). However when the ore is generated they are also putting the ID in the metadata. I changed the block ID to test and sure enough the metadata value also changed to match the block id.

I've just released a 1.2.1 hotfix that will address this problem - you can now macerate both the NEI and naturally generated versions of the ore.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Wonderful :D Really strange how Traincraft does that. It seems to cause problems with lots of mods. Very thankful for the quick fix.

XYcraft does something like that with its quartz crystals. Mining machines that collect the block with end up with multiple stacks with them that don't group. Fixed my shift clicking thing in and out of storage but still can be problematic for sorting systems as they end up having multiple versions of the item do it meta data.