Petroleum Generator (A Forestry-esque BC/IC crossover mod)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
you think the petroleum generator is an engine, while it is not, is a converter.

And all engines need redstone signal to run afaik.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Nice mod, I like everything about it. Well balanced, good recipe and of course oil and Industrialcraft should have gone hand in hand from the start. I mean it's industrial! I hope this makes it into FTB one day.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
you think the petroleum generator is an engine, while it is not, is a converter.

And all engines need redstone signal to run afaik.
The generator is a generator. To make a generator you need a dynamo and some sort of power to drive it, in this case, an engine. Fuel goes into the engine, powers the dynamo, electrical energy comes out. You don't need another engine attached to it.

Also, the electrical engine is a converter, that doesn't need an engine. There is also railcraft steam turbines (I think that's what they are called) which takes steam and converts it into EU using the same principle, except, rather than an engine, it uses a fan to drive the dynamo.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
as i said, redstone signal will be enough then.

And anyway, I said an engine simply because it seems to OP, not like the railcraft converter that uses 99 steel, or the electric engine that is expensive

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
The railcraft converter is expensive, but at max capacity it runs for about 41 hours (at 100%) and produces 50 EU/t (from the wiki). That gives it a total of 147.6 million EU/t per set of turbine rotors. It costs alot, but at the same time, you get alot in return.

Also, how can you say the forestry engine is expensive? It's made just like any other engine except it uses tin. I personally wouldn't call that expensive at all, especially when compared with the petrol generator which requires a combustion engine (iron), a generator, 2 coolant cells and an electronic circuit. No, it's not hard to make, but it serves it's purpose.

Another machine is the same vein is the Bio Generator, costs about the same (although that depends how well you value certain materials) and it does the same job, just with Bio fuel and Bio gas and that doesn't need an engine to run, yet it will be the exact same principles as the Petrol generator.

With everything said, I just don't see how you can call it OP when it's just the same as the rest (it's closest match I would say would be the Bio Generator) and you don't call them OP.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Although engines do need a redstone signal to turn them on and off, that might be an idea here so you can turn it off and prevent it from burning the fuel when you don't need it. Making it require another engine is not a good idea.

Just a point on the mechanics here, it might help if I explain the internals of the machine. The generator has an EU buffer (battery) of 30k. If this buffer is not full, the machine will burn fuel and charge the internal battery. The Industrial craft power system (EnergyNet) is most similar to a suction system, machines that need to do work request power from energy providers. If a machine requests power from the generator, it provides it from the battery, if available. This will in turn make the battery less than full, which in turn burns more fuel. If no machines are requesting power, and the battery is full, burning stops. I was agonising over whether to have the internal battery, and at what size to have it. In the end I erred on the side of caution and went for familiarity, making the behaviour the same as the Forestry BioGenerator.

Also a note on redstone signal specifically, currently it dutifully ignores it. ;) The signalling it uses is the requested work from the EnergyNet. Having said that, given we are working with non-renewable resources here I think having a redstone on/off functionality would be very sensible, I'll add it to the TODO list. A workaround for now would be to put an IC2 batbox in front of it and configure it to stop emitting on a redstone signal, which will halt the burning after filling the internal battery and the batbox (70k EU).

EDIT: As a grace-saving note, ignoring redstone signal for generators makes this an IC2-y feeling machine. I will add it though, promise ;)

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
On ScottWears suggestion, I'd like to make an open request for anybody who would like to improve the texture for this machine. If your art ability is greater than that of a 4 year old, you'll likely be able to improve on mine ;)

The current texture file can be found on the github repository. Three blocks are used and currently represent (from left to right) the front panel, side panels and top/bottom panels. If you need more/less for your texture, go for gold and let me know which side(s) map to which block. Any and all will be seriously considered.

The only requirement is that the texture will need to be considered Open Source and hence allowed to be distributed with the mod. Obviously full attribution will be given to the texture pack author in the relevant threads and in the readme and mod credits.

This might get lost in this thread, if it does I'll post a separate topic in <InsertWhicheverRelevantSubforumHere>.

Reactions: ScottWears

Matze

Jul 29, 2019
A simple question:
Where can i download Industrial Craft v1.109 or other prerelease versions? !

I've googled a long time but haven't found anything yet.
please help me, i need this mod for my ftb world...

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
A simple question:
Where can i download Industrial Craft v1.109 or other prerelease versions? !

I've googled a long time but haven't found anything yet.
please help me, i need this mod for my ftb world...
You can download the 1.109 version on the IC2 forums under support, but that won't help you much since it is for 1.4.5 and FTB is currently running on 1.4.2 so best option is just wait for FTB to update.

Reactions: Matze

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
You can download the 1.109 version on the IC2 forums under support, but that won't help you much since it is for 1.4.5 and FTB is currently running on 1.4.2 so best option is just wait for FTB to update.

Unfortunately a combination of the Liquid handling changing from BuildCraft to Forge and difficulty getting a copy of the Buildcraft code for 1.4.2 made this a 1.4.5 only release. I too am waiting eagerly for FTB 1.4.5 edition ;)

MJRamon

Jul 29, 2019
On ScottWears suggestion, I'd like to make an open request for anybody who would like to improve the texture for this machine. If your art ability is greater than that of a 4 year old, you'll likely be able to improve on mine ;)

The current texture file can be found on the github repository. Three blocks are used and currently represent (from left to right) the front panel, side panels and top/bottom panels. If you need more/less for your texture, go for gold and let me know which side(s) map to which block. Any and all will be seriously considered.

The only requirement is that the texture will need to be considered Open Source and hence allowed to be distributed with the mod. Obviously full attribution will be given to the texture pack author in the relevant threads and in the readme and mod credits.

This might get lost in this thread, if it does I'll post a separate topic in <InsertWhicheverRelevantSubforumHere>.
Here you go. All done by hand:

mJpFf.png

Download texture file: http://i.imgur.com/KVzYO.png
Based on generic modern generator look.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Does that mean that the block ID is currently not configurable? What does it default to?

Hey there, wicked timing ;)

I've just updated this to version 0.7, which I'm happy to say has configurable options, including the block ID! The default block ID is currently 3143.[DOUBLEPOST=1353975651][/DOUBLEPOST]
Here you go. All done by hand:
Download texture file: http://i.imgur.com/KVzYO.png
Based on generic modern generator look.

Mate, that's awesome - I've added it as an alternative texture for now, I'm going to soon put them in a single file and make it a configurable option.

MJRamon

Jul 29, 2019
Mate, that's awesome - I've added it as an alternative texture for now, I'm going to soon put them in a single file and make it a configurable option.
Thank you. I've messed in top texture though - forgot about one line.
Also, could you make two face textures - one for offline state, one for online? That would be handy.

Thanks for a good mod, gonna use it in my 1.4.5 let's play. A lot :)

UPDATE: Here is fixed + little tweaked texture (some shades added): http://i.imgur.com/gDUVc.png

Would love to make some more textures, for you and other modders in community.

Reactions: DrCeph

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you. I've messed in top texture though - forgot about one line.
Also, could you make two face textures - one for offline state, one for online? That would be handy.

Thanks for a good mod, gonna use it in my 1.4.5 let's play. A lot :)

UPDATE: Here is fixed + little tweaked texture (some shades added): http://i.imgur.com/gDUVc.png

Would love to make some more textures, for you and other modders in community.

A different texture for online and offline state is in my 'secret' TODO list, here:
https://github.com/chrisduran/petroleumgenerator/issues?milestone=1

I'm still figuring out how to change the texture, it doesn't seem to be as intuitive as I was hoping (which seems standard for modding minecraft :p)

You'll have to let me know when you do a video with the mod, would love to see it!

Glowstrontium

Jul 29, 2019
I like this mod, it fills in a gap that I've felt has always existed when playing BC/IC2.

I'll have to get around to making some John Smith textures for this at some point :)

Reactions: DrCeph

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
After a bunch of discussions on this forum, the IC2 forums and a bit of play-testing, v0.10 is out, with the following changes:
  • Fuel power boost! - Fuel/oil now give 200k and 30k EU, respectively. Previous values were over-nerfed considering they are non-renewable resources, making them unattractive compared to sources such as lava and biofuel.
  • Simpler recipe! - removed the circuit to bring the cost in line with other generators of similar power.
  • Redstone compatible! - giving the generator a redstone signal will stop EU emission (makes the generator IC2-y)
  • Fixed Alt texture! - MJRamon's texture has been updated to his newer version.

makeshiftwings

Jul 29, 2019
I would love for this to be included in FTB. I really want to use all that oil and fuel for something useful, but I can't stand combustion engines because of their tendency to explode whenever a lag spike or chunk error messes with the water cooling.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I would love for this to be included in FTB. I really want to use all that oil and fuel for something useful, but I can't stand combustion engines because of their tendency to explode whenever a lag spike or chunk error messes with the water cooling.
Burn it in a RC boiler?

Or include this mod yourself?

EDIT: Sorry DrCeph I keep suggesting Railcraft in your threads it looks like. Though I do have this mod installed and will be giving it a whirl as soon as I get a few more TC3 researches done (bloody research is addictive) and I get around to processing the nice med sized oil gusher I have beside my base, which I partially settled next to to try this mod and to try out RC boilers on fuel, I already know they love biofuel lol.

DrCeph

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Sorry DrCeph I keep suggesting Railcraft in your threads it looks like.

Lol, it's cool man: I derailed my own thread in the IC2 forums talking about Railcraft too - I love that mod! I think it is because my father never bought me that model train set when I was a child ;)

I'd love to hear what you think of it (the mod) regarding balance (especially with the 0.10 changes). It's important to me that it feels balanced to people that use it, but I can only think of so many ways that people play minecraft and its associated mods.

(bloody research is addictive)
+1 to that! TC3 is probably my fav so far in the wave of post MC1.3.1 mods coming out.