OverkillJam - Submission for Jampack - 0.3 Initial quests written

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

How hard is it to get to the A- the nether, and B- Mine diamond

• Total voters

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my 0.3 work in progress and submission for Jampack.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5IJio6EJ3NBeUhXeDFpYzE1eGs/edit?usp=sharing
NB: This is preliminary. Quests are created, but only enough to get you to the twilight forest and kill the Lich; neither mystcraft nor rotarycraft questlines have been written yet. However, what exists is fully playable.

Changelog:
0.3: Set it to non-edit mode
0.2: Got the quests in.

Challenges:
1. The overworld only has coal. Nothing else.
Getting to the nether requires taking water down to the overworld lava lake, molding a portal from the existing lava, and using a flammable object to activate the portal. (No iron = no flint and steel. Wood burns.)
2. The nether has iron near the roof, and diamonds near/under the lake.
3. Twilight forest will have the goals of a naga, followed by a lich. The Lich is the required kill; the naga will give you significant bonuses for killing one.

From the lich, you'll get mystcraft books. Those ages/challenges are not written yet.

The overworld/nether provided are not important; you can replace them, and there's a supplied blank world save. But you do need to save into at least a copy of the supplied blank world (there are world-specific configs in there).

Feedback I'm interested in:
1. Is it too easy / too hard to get into the nether.
2. Is it too easy / too hard to get the diamonds.

Note that TF requires 12 plants, including mushrooms, around a pool of water, and tossing a diamond into the pool. That's not expected to be hard.

Mod distribution requirements: Reika's mods require the following terms:
1. None of Reika's mods (RotaryCraft, DragonAPI, Legacy Craft, and Cave Control) may be removed from this modpack for use elsewhere. These must be re-downloaded from Reika's official download site.
2. You may NOT re-distribute this modpack.
3. You may not claim any sort of credit, ownership or authorship of Reika's mods.
4. You may not profit from this modpack.

Rotarycraft gating/modpack challenge: Part of the challenge of this modpack/quests has rotarycraft effectively gated "off" at the start of the pack. This is NOT a hard restriction; there will be an "off the rails" quest (if I can figure out how) if you manage to get steel made in the overworld.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Primary mods: Twilight forest, mystcraft, rotary craft, Custom Ore Generation.

A few support mods, such as JAS, legacy craft, etc..

This pack features gigantic, wide-open spaces underground, and a surprising lack of ores in the overworld.

Image:
0zkkdmD.png

Full mod list:
Code:
  24 BetterSprinting_1.6.4_Forge_v11.jar*
  20 CaveControl 1.6 v25.zip
164 CodeChickenCore 0.9.0.7.jar
388 CustomOreGenRevived-1.6.4-1.0.25.jar
1264 DragonAPI 1.6 v25g.zip
  16 FlatBedrock-1.1.1.0.zip
832 HQM-The Journey (4.0.6).jar
288 JustAnotherSpawnerv0.13.6.zip
  32 LegacyCraft 1.6 v25.zip
656 MineTweaker3-1.6.4-3.0.3.jar
444 MoreMystcraftDecays-4.1.0.zip
480 NEIPlugins-1.1.0.3.jar
424 NotEnoughItems 1.6.1.8.jar
160 OpenEye-0.4-1.6.4.jar
6016 RotaryCraft 1.6 v25g.zip
  20 TooMuchLoot-1.6.4-1.3.0.2-universal.jar
  0 WMLL/
  68 WMLLTest825164.zip
  28 WailaHarvestability-mc1.6.4-1.0.1.jar
932 Waila_1.5.2a.zip
  68 XplosionCore-V1.0.2.0.zip
  4 ZoomMod[1.6.4][Forge][1.2].zip
  12 connectedglass-1.2.jar
  32 lloverlay-v0.23-1.6.4-9.11.0.886-forge.zip
1824 mystcraft-uni-1.6.4-0.10.13.01.zip
148 neiaddons-mc164-1.10.5.70.jar
292 roguelike-v1.3.3a-forge-1.6.4.zip
2904 twilightforest-1.6.4-1.20.5.jar

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Ok, that's 2/3 I suppose, However I still think it is going to be stupidly difficult getting to the nether if you can't make a bucket to move liquids about.

Just outta curiosity, have you playtested your map at all?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I have not. That version was posted as soon as I had something half-way decent. I have since made improvements to the gigantic caves (COG caves cannot mimic vanilla caves, but they can be big).

EDIT: I have talked to other people that have done exactly this -- bringing water down to the lava lake -- in unmodified vanilla. So It's definitely possble. If it's too hard, I can easily make the lava deeper.

I have made the "deep lava" generally deeper; while it's hard to view under lava to verify, I have repeatedly come across 5-7 deep lava in the vanilla area (Reika's cave control makes deeper ravines more than it makes bigger caves, but it certainly makes caves more common and they will curl ontop of each other), and consistently 9 deep in the COG caving area.

I have also had a chance to watch the newer videos explaining the newer features in HQM -- I was having trouble just making quests before because I really didn't know how everything worked.

Finally, being sick with the flu since sunday has not been nice. I've basically lost almost all of 2 days to bedrest and no brain.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

CaptPanda

Nov 20, 2012
Britland
Ah, the depth of the lava pools were my main concern, since you're having to make a portal deep set into the lava. I'd imagine that'd be very tricky, but I suppose that's the point.

Anyways, good luck with your entry!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you.

As I said, I can make the lava lake higher than 10 if necessary; I have the bedrock only at Y=1. I have been sick (flu) since sunday, but today I am feeling a bit better.

Sorry, I just realized I'm repeating myself. bleh.

===

HQM: Trigger quests are not the same as trigger tasks. A trigger quest, if I understand it now, never becomes visible, while trigger tasks will make the quest they are in appear once completed.

Kinda critical distinction.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
1. This is now version 0.3, and officially submitted.
2. I have no idea how to edit the thread title; if anyone can tell me how, please do so.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Streamed a first part this morning.

Unfortunately, as I was getting ready to go down and make a nether portal, my sword broke -- and I did not have a spare stone sword. By the time I got back to where I died, everything had despawned -- so now I've got to re-prepare for another trip.

Sigh. Overworld was not supposed to be the killer. Heck, why are the zombies outnumbering everything else 10 to 1?

http://www.twitch.tv/keybounce/b/558756643

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
ACK!

I left the quest mod in edit mode! When you play this, turn the edit mode to false before you start!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
My second playthrough begins.

Watch on YouTube

So when I tried the first playthrough, before, I was in the wrong directory. The quest book was in edit mode, etc. I double checked what I actually submitted, and re-made a new play through with the correct settings.

I have blanked part of the seed. This is probably too good of a seed. But I do start by the smallest village I have ever seen vanilla generate. Wonder how the night will treat these people with me nearby?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
No, sadly. I have not gone through the details of getting it on the launcher.

What I need to do: Collect all the "permission granted"'s into a file, so I can show the launcher people that I have all the permissions. I have them, I just have not gotten that step taken care of.

Is it important to you that it goes on the launcher?

Tyqae

Jul 29, 2019
I will second that, being on the launcher would be very nice. I'm both lazy and untrusting on downloading things other ways.

As a pre-play thought, it did break my brain a bit trying to figure out how to make a portal without a bucket, though I think that's because I'm used to 3 deep lava pools at best, glad to know they're (hopefully) normally 4 or more deep.

And, is there any incentive to stay in the nether longer than to get a single diamond (vein) then run to the twilight? Again, I've yet to play, but unless you altered the TF, there's ore there and it's probably safer than trying to mine iron and diamond in the nether anyway. Just a comment/thought.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Getting ores from the forest?

... Mwaha ha ...

(OK, you can get them from the hollow hills.)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the diamonds are on the "ground", as it were -- probably more exposed, now that I think about it. The iron is way way up, and if you are in an area to mine it, you can probably light up the area around you with torches. So the iron, although you have a serious risk of falling, might be safer. Needs more testing.

EDIT 2: Sadly, I saw a smaller village (well and 2 buildings) while exploring a 1.7.10 world ...

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
On the launcher. Pack code OverkillJam

I need a better name for this pack, currently "Twilight Myst of Rotors". Yea, #needsABetterName. Ideas?

Playthrough 2, session 2 -- all farming wheat, potatoes, cows, and chickens -- will be up on YouTube tomorrow. Not much happening, but if you try to go to the nether without food or arrows ... I feel your pain.