Ore Processing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
THIS
And seeing as flint is renewable with TE..... (and/or other mods)
I once made an infinite energy loop using creation of gunpowder with mek and TE, plus abusing the northern lights bug for glowstone = completely renewable combination valid for reactant dynamo.

Sadly northern lights bug has now been disabled.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I find mariculture a very confused mod.

Originally id didn't endear itself to me with the extreme world-gen lag it introduced.

Then, as I got into it, I found it was a set of disjoint things, bundled together with no common theme. Yet another MJ power system. Yet another ore doubling system. Yet another take on breeding, but which doesn't work with any of the dna machines I happen to have (gendustry etc). Titanium seems an oddly specific metal to add, but its only purpose seems designed to force users to use the mariculture ore-processing pipeline.
You have a point there. It's certainly odd for an ocean-themed mod to include ore processing machines and worldgen that appear unconnected to its intended theme. Meanwhile, other avenues that suggest themselves - such as kelp farming - remain unrealized. The parts of the mod which are actually maritime in nature do sound appealing.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
What about automation with Thaumcraft. In that you can double nuggets by using a few aspects.
Ever since the essentia tubes were changed in 4.1, I found Thaumcraft automated essentia distillation incredibly finicky. When it works it's very efficient and beautiful, but I can't count the number of times I had to rebuild my distillation setup because the essentia just refused to flow for no apparent reason even though the build was exactly the same as before and I just had to interrupt the material supply for a few minutes because I was working on my Logistics Pipes system. Rebuild it the same way or the other, knowing all the rules, made no difference. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Incredibly frustrating.

As a result, I tend to avoid anything that requires a constant essentia supply. It's a shame, really, because I love the style of how Thaumcraft 4 does things.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Ever since the essentia tubes were changed in 4.1, I found Thaumcraft automated essentia distillation incredibly finicky. When it works it's very efficient and beautiful, but I can't count the number of times I had to rebuild my distillation setup because the essentia just refused to flow for no apparent reason even though the build was exactly the same as before and I just had to interrupt the material supply for a few minutes because I was working on my Logistics Pipes system. Rebuild it the same way or the other, knowing all the rules, made no difference. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Incredibly frustrating.

As a result, I tend to avoid anything that requires a constant essentia supply. It's a shame, really, because I love the style of how Thaumcraft 4 does things.

I have yet to experience that.
Every time my system has gotten stuck, use of the pipe tuner thing, has shown me it was my derp for an incautious cross connection getting some of the wrong essentia stuck in a bit of tube. Attach an empty jar to extract it, and then it all starts working properly.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I have yet to experience that.
Every time my system has gotten stuck, use of the pipe tuner thing, has shown me it was my derp for an incautious cross connection getting some of the wrong essentia stuck in a bit of tube. Attach an empty jar to extract it, and then it all starts working properly.
Unless the tubes keep any essentia stuck in them when you knock them off, that wasn't the problem. I often knocked off pipes and replace them to avoid exactly this problem.

I should say, however, that I might have missed something critical nonetheless: what is the "pipe tuner thing"? I'm a careful reader of the Thaumonomicon, but it's not impossible I missed a page... usually you see with your special goggles (forgot the name) if something's stuck somewhere, right?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
As many know, I'm a huge Railcraft dude.

I tend to go with a Rock Crusher for ore duplication; I get 2x for each ore, and it's decently fast. After that, I shove all them dusts into a Steam Oven, because it's fast and runs directly off steam, which I usually use to create power anyway, so I'll probably have a tank of it anyway. I also love my multi-block machines, so this is great, especially if I want a gigantic ore processing room with carts and pipes everywhere :D

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Unless the tubes keep any essentia stuck in them when you knock them off, that wasn't the problem. I often knocked off pipes and replace them to avoid exactly this problem.

I should say, however, that I might have missed something critical nonetheless: what is the "pipe tuner thing"? I'm a careful reader of the Thaumonomicon, but it's not impossible I missed a page... usually you see with your special goggles (forgot the name) if something's stuck somewhere, right?

At the same time the pipes got their new mechanic, Azanor added the Essentia Resonator to the Alchemy research page. If you right click on an essentia tube with it, it tells you what essentia the tube contains, and what the suction is.

Last edited:

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019
I was just testing oredoubling in Thaumcraft. All I need is one nugget and a lot of Metallum. That can be made using manabeans with a big manabean farm. One nugget gives 3 nuggets and it can be done automatic:

autoore.png

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Use labels.
I always do. Everything that can be labeled is labeled in my automated alchemy constructions. That didn't prevent the systems from refusing to continue to operate at the slightest provocation.

Edit:
As for renewable metals, Tinker's Construct's oreberry bushes do that more efficiently. If I'd automate an alchemical process, it's metal transmutation. I guess I'm not the only one who drowns in one metal while having not enough of the other, even discounting the rarer metals. I may take another shot at this. Unfortunately, though, transmutation doesn't work with Aluminum.

Last edited:

KollinsK

Jul 29, 2019
1. Certus Quartz grinder, manual doubling (first few days)
2. TE3, automatic doubling but slow (first week)
3. IC2, fast doubling (second week and beyond)
4. Bees (mid game)

By the time I reach #4, I have no further need for increasing my production, my bees make everything for me at that point.

This is pretty much the way I look at it too. In my Monster LP I'm at:

1. Certus Quartz grinder. Easiest ore doubling to start.
2. EnderIO/TE3. EnderIO has some good small chance byproducts in the SAG Mill and can be "overclocked" with it's capacitors.
3. Magic Crpos (decent alternative to bees, most of the same types of products and about the same level of "grindy-ness")
4. QuarryPlus + Mystcraft worlds. At this point, brute force is easier than efficiency so the same simple setup from #2 can easily be piped/wired/powered and expanded to keep up.

I dread IC2Ex and the stupid plate smashing and in general it has the feel of Gregtech that leaves a dirty taste in your mouth.
Mariculture is too dang hard to find solid info on. When I google recipes and plans, I get conflicting and outdated info for stuff like some freezer that's not even in Monster 1.1.2. Pair that with the odd ratios on everything, like limestone making 9/10ths of a bucket of quicklime and the crucible telling me it has 144Mb of something but that's enough for 1 ingot and it's not worth the bother.
Rotarycraft: The 5x processing needs so many resources and infrastructure and power that it goes in my book under neat tricks and Rube Goldberg contraptions. The sound and lag from RC is also a put off.
Factorization/Engineer's Toolbox: haven't tried either.

christhereaper

Jul 29, 2019
While i still like Rotarycraft and other mods with ore doubling, i personally tend to use Mekanism.
It's easy to start with 2x and add the other stuff later, it's also compatible with most power systems and adds some other neat stuff too.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I dread IC2Ex and the stupid plate smashing and in general it has the feel of Gregtech that leaves a dirty taste in your mouth./quote]
Really? It feels like GregTech? I like to think Greg would have come up with something smarter than plate smashing if it was up to him.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Does the steam oven work like a 9 slot furnace? Can I smelt stone in it?

I am trying to diversify the number of mods I'm using. I might allow the usage of power converters, because it is a PITA for somebody who likes to design centralized systems.

belgabor

Jul 29, 2019
While i still like Rotarycraft and other mods with ore doubling, i personally tend to use Mekanism.
It's easy to start with 2x and add the other stuff later, it's also compatible with most power systems and adds some other neat stuff too.
RotaryCraft has no ore doubling, only tripling and quintupling (or rather 5x+) :)