Ore Processing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I always start out with TE pulverizer + redstone furnace, and usually build multiple such setups as needed. This time I went with a single RotaryCraft grinder for 3x output. Powered with a magnetostatic engine at max and a 16x gearbox, it only uses 0.05 seconds per item.

Then two IC2 electric furnaces with 13 overclockers each to smelt the flakes, one would probably have been enough. I also added an MFR unifier to get the same ingot types as from TE. Reasonably compact and simple, and very fast 3x output.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
I start with a TiCo smeltery, then build a pulverizer quite fast after that to get the bonus dust. After my quarry I use RoC extractors.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I personnaly do TiC for just enough iron to make a Roc's fermenter, then grinder (Dc engine for the first then gasoline engine)

Then you get ore tripling :D

ore quintupling, if you want decent speed, requires CVT so bedrock... it can be done very early game but wont be quick. As you go later in game, you can make it faster :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm....I wouldn't mind the complexity if this system used less energy than a RotaryCraft setup. However, the opposite appears to be the case and it seems it's even slower than a RotaryCraft extractor run at minimum power. I'll probably pass this by.
Energy And Speed Upgrades and Mekanism Factories make this kind of OreProcessing really quick and really energy efficient.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Energy And Speed Upgrades and Mekanism Factories make this kind of OreProcessing really quick and really energy efficient.
Not to mention the speed upgrade allows for one to use less of gaseous or fluid resources to process ores...

Reactions: Mevansuto

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
1. Certus Quartz grinder, manual doubling (first few days)
2. TE3, automatic doubling but slow (first week)
3. IC2, fast doubling (second week and beyond)
4. Bees (mid game)

By the time I reach #4, I have no further need for increasing my production, my bees make everything for me at that point.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I use different ore processing systems for different ores, that way I get to use lots of different mods and my base doesn't look empty.

For silver, dark iron, cobalt and ardite I use Factorization (including crystallisers). This was the most ambitious cross-mod build I did and it was very satisfying in the end.

For gold, iron, copper, tin, nickel and lead I use Engineer's Toolbox. It is a really good mod and the kiln makes a nice centrepiece in my main ore room. On some ores the effective output is *4 which is good enough for me.

Yellorite goes into a Sag Mill because of bonus cyanite.

I was going to use Mekanism for all my ore processing but I ended up limiting it to osmium only. I did get to the *5 yield stage but producing enough of those reagents was difficult. I made 2 max sized salination plants and I barely had enough brine to process the ores (very very power guzzlingly slowly) let alone turn my gunpowder into sulfur. It was fun and engaging, but I only had enough patience to stabilise the production of reagents when I only had to process my osmium. How does my experience square with all of you Mek fans? Does it sound like I am screwing up?

Bauxite and rutile go through mariculture like I mentioned earlier and I am working on getting those fancy upgrades. It requires some mariculture progression (fair enough) so I'm working on that. Got a nice automated pearl shop earlier. Making that was harded than I anticipated, but it was fun. The purity upgrades need a lot of white pearls.

Every remaining ore goes into a rock crusher from railcraft (with the help of an addon mod*) and all the random dusts and crystals get smelted in an upgraded mek factory.

My favourites are Factorization and Engineer's Toolbox. They don't have the highest yield of all the systems available but Factorization is so aesthetically pleasing to me and both mods have a large design space and encourage me to be creative. I also happen to be good at them so that helps ;)

*Not sure what this mod is called but it adds loads of recipes to the rock crusher (and maybe some other machines) and it is at least in Resonant Rise.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I was going to use Mekanism for all my ore processing but I ended up limiting it to osmium only. I did get to the *5 yield stage but producing enough of those reagents was difficult. I made 2 max sized salination plants and I barely had enough brine to process the ores (very very power guzzlingly slowly) let alone turn my gunpowder into sulfur. It was fun and engaging, but I only had enough patience to stabilise the production of reagents when I only had to process my osmium. How does my experience square with all of you Mek fans? Does it sound like I am screwing up?
From my experience, 5x is very, VERY hard to pull off. 4x is better IMO, and I think that doesn't require gunpowder (and thus is renewable).

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
From my experience, 5x is very, VERY hard to pull off. 4x is better IMO, and I think that doesn't require gunpowder (and thus is renewable).
Well with 5* on Osmium I had enough to make a huge tank out of osmium blocks to fit all of my oyster clams in to make my farm.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Now, with your cross mod antics, did you settle for power converters, or do you have a separate power source for each mod?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Now, with your cross mod antics, did you settle for power converters, or do you have a separate power source for each mod?
I don't have power converters. All of my RF is provided by a big reactor and that solves Mek, E. Toolbox and EnderIO. I use caliometric burners for the steam for my Factorization stuff (I could have used big reactors for the steam but its not that kind of reactor). Mariculture is using lava with some supplementary coal coke. The lava comes from magical crop farming. I have two rock crushers, one of them is powered by MJ from force engines although the other I couldn't be bothered to set up more engines and I had an RF conduit line already about 2 blocks away so I just extended that.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
FYI: Engineer's Toolbox has EU/MJ/RF converters. What I'd like to know is if any other power type can be converted into Factorization Charge. I found the batteries to be incredibly finicky and the information about the level of charge unreliable.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I find mariculture a very confused mod.

Originally id didn't endear itself to me with the extreme world-gen lag it introduced.

Then, as I got into it, I found it was a set of disjoint things, bundled together with no common theme. Yet another MJ power system. Yet another ore doubling system. Yet another take on breeding, but which doesn't work with any of the dna machines I happen to have (gendustry etc). Titanium seems an oddly specific metal to add, but its only purpose seems designed to force users to use the mariculture ore-processing pipeline.

Having branched into a tech-ore processing mod, it then, bizarrely, adds enchanted jewelry.

And then there is the ... art.

Mariculture is a mod that, even if it could 8 time multiply my ores, I am happy to ignore it modpacks that include it, and not add to modpacks that don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Narc