OK I give up, what is the Bioreactor?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Two problems:
1) I can't find a wiki that explains the Bio Reactor or Bioreactor
2) The recipe/item doesn't exist in NEI (ultimate server)

Which mod is this from? I thought it was Minefactory Reloaded... guess not? Thanks for any help.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
it is from minefactory reloaded but I cannot find the recipe for it.

It creates biofuel out of plant matter. The more different TYPES of plant matter you use, the more fuel it makes per tick. (so use a mix of seeds, saplings, wheat, carrots, etc etc)

!

this video shows it around 3 mins in

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
This is the typical problem, if users update their versions and talk about that, but the main pack is still a bit out of date.

Reactions: RedBoss

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
lol. Do other mod packs have it? If so, that's pretty stupid. The main pack should probably get the update with the others.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
lol. Do other mod packs have it? If so, that's pretty stupid. The main pack should probably get the update with the others.

I think people are manually updating some of the mods (including MFR) in their own launcher/in MultiMC.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
This is the typical problem, if users update their versions and talk about that, but the main pack is still a bit out of date.
Yeah I was all excited to get started on my 22k saplings with this new bioreactor thing ... Guess I'll burn them in a wall full of generators instead :D

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I was all excited to get started on my 22k saplings with this new bioreactor thing ... Guess I'll burn them in a wall full of generators instead :D

Don't use the generators, use combustion engines instead. They generate WAY more power than the biofuel generators.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019

If you just set up a quick bonemeal darkroom plant farm you could easily get 3 or 4 different things to put in the bioreactor to increase the efficiency for your saplings, and make it more worth-while than generators.

EDIT: Thank you Alan. Added to my signature, didn't notice that necro. We're getting up to 8 now... great.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use the generators, use combustion engines instead. They generate WAY more power than the biofuel generators.
2 month necro :D
My Generator comment wasnt about biofuel, I was talking about burning saplings in basic Generators, not converting them to bio.
Doesn't matter now, that world crashed hard and I have no saplings ;)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

In 1.4.7, even the author agrees with my assessment that the bio-generator was less useful than a liquid void pipe.

In 1.5.*, the Bio-generator is less efficient than the Combustion engine, but more reliable and outputs a whopping 16mj/t and does so without regard to temperature or warmup/cooldown times. It is excellent and you should use it. It actually has a purpose and a design space and competes with combustion engines now.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.7, even the author agrees with my assessment that the bio-generator was less useful than a liquid void pipe.

In 1.5.*, the Bio-generator is less efficient than the Combustion engine, but more reliable and outputs a whopping 16mj/t and does so without regard to temperature or warmup/cooldown times. It is excellent and you should use it. It actually has a purpose and a design space and competes with combustion engines now.

I'll have to disagree, combustion engines need fuel AND water, which lowers the space efficiency(MJ/Block) significantly. Imo, the they're not competing, they're better in every regard.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to disagree, combustion engines need fuel AND water, which lowers the space efficiency(MJ/Block) significantly. Imo, the they're not competing, they're better in every regard.

I think that the space efficiency issue is worth mentioning, but that Combustion Engines output a fair sum more MJ per bucket (isn't it over 1/3 more?)

I'd use combustion engines to charge up RECs to run a mining laser, maybe. The sheer number of MJ counts in big consumption applications.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5+:
Generator should be 16 mj/t for 10k ticks, so 160k MJ.
In combustion engine Biofuel is 200k MJ, but over 40k ticks.
In Boiler biofuel is ~292k MJ.

A single reactor creates a bucket of biofuel every 50 seconds. So one reactor can supply 10 Generators 40 Combustion engines, or two 36 tank HP boilers.
160 MJ/t, 200 MJ/t, or 288 MJ/t.

My world ran on 40 bio generators until MFR added mining lasers and I had a power sink for MJs. Warming up 16 HP boilers now running 4 laser drills ;P

The farms to run it are only 9x9 and only have one of most farmables. It still produces more than 8 reactors consume. A little more efficient since i used IC2 crops for the farmables that work with IC2 (gives a production boost on carrots, potatoes, pumpkins, and melons).

Keeping an eye on cactus -- without xycraft think i need a fourth 9x9 of them to keep up with the other farmables:
Trees in the corner
netherwart, coccoa top
wheat, wheat, carrot
melon, pumpkin, reeds (not used in reactors, just need some paper), cactus, potato
more cactus along bottom
Tb5vaPu.jpg

9 items used:
2 saplings
carrot
potato
pumpkin seed
melon seed
cactus greens
nether wart
cocoa bean

Reactions: KirinDave

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Ehhh... well Oak has always always been just fine, but yeah I guess a taller tree might be in order if something there got nerfed.

Couple of things...
-- I don't use fertilizer, never have. If my power system requires me to stop and go digging for X item repeatedly, then I will find a different power system.
-- Initially, when my power needs were small, my tree farm would over grow with adjacent logs and kill my sapling production. So I fixed that by taking out about
half of the dirt blocks. Now saplings are in great supply, but I'm short on logs.

I think I might have answered my own question -- Now that I'm flush with saplings, and my power draw is much higher, I should go back to 100% dirt blocks.
I don't use fertilizer except as an early boost to production. I use the sewer-composter-fertilizer line, exclusively, with 1x1 tree farms. Later I might throw fertilizer in, but that's just to get rid of whatever apatite I've gathered while mining.

Status
Not open for further replies.