MFR Bioreactor Question

WeaponMaster

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question about the bioreactor. If i were to put 64 saplings into one, and 64 saplings and 64 seeds into another, would i receive fuel at a faster rate? or merely more fuel for more resources at a slightly better cost?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The restless spirits of the long-ago fallen are at your command, o necromantic master...

If you add more variety of saplings/seeds, you get more efficient output overall per item. See http://ftbwiki.org/BioReactor which I hope isn't out of date.

Easier to explain with 1 sapling and 1 seed: if you put in a single sapling, you get 80 mb. If you put in a sapling and a seed, you get 2x90 = 180.

That's my understanding anyway :)[DOUBLEPOST=1393347248][/DOUBLEPOST]I should mention that for saving space on infrastructure, and saving sanity on working around the energy-loss issues, the Bioreactor is amazing versus the Forestry Still/Fermenter setup.

Depending on your modlist, you may need translate the Biofuel result through a "Unifier" to use it as forestry Ethanol, if I recall correctly. This shouldn't bottleneck you and it uses no power doing so.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
That's my understanding anyway :)[DOUBLEPOST=1393347248][/DOUBLEPOST]I should mention that for saving space on infrastructure, and saving sanity on working around the energy-loss issues, the Bioreactor is amazing versus the Forestry Still/Fermenter setup.

Depending on your modlist, you may need translate the Biofuel result through a "Unifier" to use it as forestry Ethanol, if I recall correctly. This shouldn't bottleneck you and it uses no power doing so.

Between TE3 and MFR I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to using forestry, buildcraft, or railcraft.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
MFR and TE work together. Biofuel definitely works in TE dynamos.[DOUBLEPOST=1393423131][/DOUBLEPOST]Heck the MFR bioreactors which burn the biofuel create RF now instead of MJs.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Goodness. Which shows how long its been since I've tinkered with them :) I'm still scratching my head at how reactant dynamos are supposed to work, so its steam for me till I get it.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently playing FTB TechWorld 1.1.10 and am kind of shocked at how poorly my MFR tree farm is keeping up with my very modest power needs, as compared to my last significant MFR tree farm used in FTB Unleashed. I don't know what has changed, but I'm just not getting the number of logs I got in the past.

So whoever dredged up this topic, thank you! I will be switching over to crop stick farming and MFR bioreactors.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Wonder if that's because of the recent MFR changes. I don't know what 'modest power needs' are, but I've got a single tree farm chopping up MFR rubber trees feeding 2 redstone furnaces. Those furnaces are keeping 9 steam dynamos fully stocked at all times. They, in turn, feed a hardened redstone cell (yes, I know that the input is technically not high enough, but it's set to never fill up so I think that the power buffers in the conduit).

That cell is powering 2 AE systems, the furnaces, the 2 MFR harvesters, 2 planters, 2 fertilizers, a composter, a breeder, 2 chronotypers, a grinder, and an autospawner, as well as buffering my machine room's energy cell (which is always full, so the draw from those machines isn't ever directly felt).

Seriously, I hope it doesn't get nerfed that much when we update from DW .14

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Combustion dynamos are the ones that burn biofuel.
Compression dynamos actually.

compression dynamo will burn the (orange) forestry ethanol. And last I tried, it will NOT burn the green biomass you get from fermenting saplings.

I'm currently playing FTB TechWorld 1.1.10 and am kind of shocked at how poorly my MFR tree farm is keeping up with my very modest power needs, as compared to my last significant MFR tree farm used in FTB Unleashed. I don't know what has changed, but I'm just not getting the number of logs I got in the past.
Try changing what you are growing in your farm.

In my current world, I have a MFR farm with +2 upgrade growing jungle trees. These go into an induction furnace for charcoal.
This setup powers 2 quarries, 2 36HP boilers and various other charcoal consuming machines in my base. And after 2 days, I have a surplus of 75k charcoal. WAY more than I know what to do with.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Try changing what you are growing in your farm.

In my current world, I have a MFR farm with +2 upgrade growing jungle trees. These go into an induction furnace for charcoal.
This setup powers 2 quarries, 2 36HP boilers and various other charcoal consuming machines in my base. And after 2 days, I have a surplus of 75k charcoal. WAY more than I know what to do with.
Ehhh... well Oak has always always been just fine, but yeah I guess a taller tree might be in order if something there got nerfed.

Couple of things...
-- I don't use fertilizer, never have. If my power system requires me to stop and go digging for X item repeatedly, then I will find a different power system.
-- Initially, when my power needs were small, my tree farm would over grow with adjacent logs and kill my sapling production. So I fixed that by taking out about
half of the dirt blocks. Now saplings are in great supply, but I'm short on logs.

I think I might have answered my own question -- Now that I'm flush with saplings, and my power draw is much higher, I should go back to 100% dirt blocks.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried operating a tree farm under a glass roof? I'm wondering if this is contributing at all... the farm is down about 20 blocks from an unbroken plane of glass covering the entire area. It shouldn't diminish light/growth should it?

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
You should actually go somewhere in the middle. For my MFR tree farms I put stone blocks with a torch on them in a pattern so that every dirt block has exactly one adjacent stone block. This leaves enough spaces for sapling production and keeps all the dirt lit up for the best growth rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Also, for some reason Ghostwood on netherack grows really fast. Until I recently switched to fuel produced by bees I had a MFR tree farm producing ghostwood that feed 3 36HP boilers (charcoal from the ghostwood logs).

Reactions: PierceSG

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried operating a tree farm under a glass roof? I'm wondering if this is contributing at all... the farm is down about 20 blocks from an unbroken plane of glass covering the entire area. It shouldn't diminish light/growth should it?
If you're asking me, my tree farm is completely underground. I don't have any natural light. The room has a 15 block high ceiling.

As indicated, I wouldn't ever bother with a tree farm that's not being run off industrial fertilizer (or uses some other crazy-good form of growth accel like a sigil or a watering can/activator combo), but that's more a desire for stability than anything. I had a 9x9 farm with 4 harvesters feeding boilers before (in 1.4.7) and I just didn't care for the random nature of the output. Until I got xychorium soil underneath it, I was not pleased with the setup.

This one, with 10 or 12 cows and 4 sewers is keeping my tree farm completely overstocked and I've already laid out what it's powering (in fact, the excess rubber saplings are also feeding into my bioreactors for a laser drill). I think Imight have used a stack of apatite to kickstart it, but that's long since history.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use fertilizer except as an early boost to production. I use the sewer-composter-fertilizer line, exclusively, with 1x1 tree farms. Later I might throw fertilizer in, but that's just to get rid of whatever apatite I've gathered while mining.
My jungle tree farm doesnt use fertilizer either. For some reason it was not even working on those trees. Using a +2 range upgrade gives me plenty of wood to make into charcoal. I tried a +7 range upgrade and it grew wood faster than the ic2 induction furnace could process.

Now if you want more saplings - oak is a good starting point. but the forestry trees will do much better. In previous worlds I would breed forestry trees for the "ultimate biomass sapling" there is a thread around here somewhere with instructions on what to do.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
As indicated, I wouldn't ever bother with a tree farm that's not being run off industrial fertilizer (or uses some other crazy-good form of growth accel like a sigil or a watering can/activator combo), but that's more a desire for stability than anything. I had a 9x9 farm with 4 harvesters feeding boilers before (in 1.4.7) and I just didn't care for the random nature of the output. Until I got xychorium soil underneath it, I was not pleased with the setup.
My unfertilized 15x15 Oak farm on Unleashed powered 4 LP36 boilers and an HP36 with room to spare, so the trouble I'm having in TechWorld must stem from tree growth rates in 1.6.4 or something.

This one, with 10 or 12 cows and 4 sewers is keeping my tree farm completely overstocked and I've already laid out what it's powering (in fact, the excess rubber saplings are also feeding into my bioreactors for a laser drill). I think Imight have used a stack of apatite to kickstart it, but that's long since history.
Eh, looks like I'll be setting up some livestock poop catchers.

Thanks for the info.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
My unfertilized 15x15 Oak farm on Unleashed powered 4 LP36 boilers and an HP36 with room to spare, so the trouble I'm having in TechWorld must stem from tree growth rates in 1.6.4 or something.

Thanks for the info.
No problem. The sewers all have +2 or +3 upgrades (the room is actually oversized for the purpose).

Reactions: AlanEsh

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Just make sure the sewers operating areas are not overlapping with one another. They tend to stop working because they do not know who is responsible for that piece of turd.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019

Thanks for the info.
It isn't because of the trees. It is because of the fuel nerf. You need alot more charcoal to keep the boiler going. You need twice as much infrastructure of half as many boilers.