[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
It should be, otherwise I've done all my commits with wrong language :p
Maybe he is talking about the curse launcher?
Or wants that FTB ships a copy of java like the new vanilla minecraft launcher does

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe he is talking about the curse launcher?
Or wants that FTB ships a copy of java like the new vanilla minecraft launcher does
That's awful, assuming there's no way to prevent it. You really only need to ship the language itself if you use a custom modified version.

Spiker985

Jul 29, 2019
A way to have the process remain so that you can add the launcher to Steam and have it show up in the status on the friends list.
Add the launcher on Steam as a "non steam game". It shows up just fine. It's not going to tell your friends what modpack you are playing, but it will tell them you are playing Feed The Beast

Spiker985

Jul 29, 2019
[Pack downloading and queuing]
maybe add a download button to download a modpack from the launcher before playing? that way you don't have to launch the game before downloadin a texture-/resourcepack from the launcher, right now i have to leave the game before I can do this. Which is not exactly what I want, because sometimes it can take a minute or two before it is completely launched after which I can close it to download the texture-/resourcepack.
I have the problem that I may not want to play a particular modpack, but maybe try it out later. So by adding a download button, and possibly a download queue we can hopefully make it so that users can download a pack, but not launch it immediately.

TLDR; Using the modpack version selector, selected modpack, and a download button to add the downloading of a modpack to a queue. Giving users the ability to download without launching.

I photoshopped a possible location for the download button below.
Capture.PNG

["Installed" filter]

Add the option on the filters to show only the modpacks that have valid installations on the disk. Check that the modpack folders contain a valid 'version' file, and display the names located in those version files.

[Launcher fixes]
— Text filter
Nothing major, if you go to text filter and you close the window with the 'X' it closes the entire filter window, parent and text string search box.
— Edit Mod Pack The 'edit mod pack' button is enabled, even if the selected pack is not installed.

Alright, my spiel is over.

B

Barsik_The_CaT

Launcher and/or web suggestion:
State how much memory do you need for each pack. I'm pretty new to so heavily modded minecraft clients so I spent a whole evening trying to install an Invinity Evolved pack with 1Gb RAM available for FTB Launcher, while in needed only 500 Mb more. Or you can just change settings accoringly to which modpack is currently launched.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Launcher and/or web suggestion:
State how much memory do you need for each pack. I'm pretty new to so heavily modded minecraft clients so I spent a whole evening trying to install an Invinity Evolved pack with 1Gb RAM available for FTB Launcher, while in needed only 500 Mb more. Or you can just change settings accoringly to which modpack is currently launched.
They can't really do that as it's not just about RAM, although that helps.
For example, if I had 16gb of DDR3 RAM, but a pentium processor, and you have 2gb of RAM but the latest ASUS processor, you will be able to run the game better.

However, with 1gb of RAM, I would suggest you either upgrade your RAM or downgrade your packs. As the "standard" minimum needed for modded MC seems to be 2-4gb of RAM, and a somewhat decent processor (i.e. Intel i3 or better)

B

Barsik_The_CaT

They can't really do that as it's not just about RAM, although that helps.
For example, if I had 16gb of DDR3 RAM, but a pentium processor, and you have 2gb of RAM but the latest ASUS processor, you will be able to run the game better.

However, with 1gb of RAM, I would suggest you either upgrade your RAM or downgrade your packs. As the "standard" minimum needed for modded MC seems to be 2-4gb of RAM, and a somewhat decent processor (i.e. Intel i3 or better)
You did not quite get it - it was not about perfomance, I just needed to give FTB client more RAM to launch Infinity Evolved pack - it was getting stuck on stage 2 of mod initializing. That's why I'm suggesting to tell people how much RAM do they need no at least launch a certain pack. For instance, 1Gb was enough for Monster Pack, but Evolved needed 1,5-2Gb, and, since I had FTB console hidden I had no idea it was simply running out of heap memory.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You did not quite get it - it was not about perfomance, I just needed to give FTB client more RAM to launch Infinity Evolved pack - it was getting stuck on stage 2 of mod initializing. That's why I'm suggesting to tell people how much RAM do they need no at least launch a certain pack. For instance, 1Gb was enough for Monster Pack, but Evolved needed 1,5-2Gb, and, since I had FTB console hidden I had no idea it was simply running out of heap memory.
But with less than 2gb of RAM, you will struggle to run any FTB pack well

T

TheSeriusYoutuber

A Feature if you have made a instance by hand to export that to the launcher to be public.

R

roax206

I am not sure if I am just missing something as I'm surprised this isn't implemented but there doesn't seem to be any way to view the mods contained in a Minecraft modpack using the ftb/curse section of the twitch app without first installing each modpack first. When I am looking for modpacks that contain the actual mods I like I don't really want to have to download every modpack to see what mods it has. ps: A search packs by mods option would be awesome.

R

roax206

You should give that feedback to Twitch, this section is about the FTB launcher (marked as legacy here: https://www.feed-the-beast.com/ )
Ok thanks. In that case can someone point me in the direction of their forum/suggestion page, I looked up both twitch and curse and couldn't find anything related (except something akin to a FAQ page). It seems a bit funny that the "legacy" version seems to give more support than the "supported" version :).

TamahTala

Jan 1, 2020
I realize this is an old thread. But I need help. My launcher was deleted or something now I cannot access any of the FTB games I had... where can I get a new launcher?

TamahTala

Jan 1, 2020
I realize this is an old thread. But I need help. My launcher was deleted or something now I cannot access any of the FTB games I had... where can I get a new launcher?
OK I found a link and loaded the launcher for windows and it works... a little searching on my part was all I needed thank you anyway.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Make it like the Twitch launcher, with lots of packs and mods that are easily downloadable.
But make it like, not suck.

Last edited: