[Official] We Need Your Help - Launcher Ideas

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I get memory leaks. ALOT
Then report them to the mod authors. Increasing available RAM isn't a solution for memory leaks, since all that does is make you run out of memory slower, but it still happens.

Increasing PermGen isn't even a solution to that. All it is is a solution to the OutOfPermGen exception (again, can't remember the exact name).

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
where do you find the offline play button i cant find it
Launcher will offer offline mode automatically if it can not connect to mojang's server. In get offline mode working you must have logged in succesfully in and profile must be set to save auth token, otherwise launcher will complain about bad username/password.

Which modpack needs increased permgen size? What are the symptoms of the leak. Which tools did you use, how much memory have you allocated?

miezebieze

Jul 29, 2019
Hai!

Why does the launcher put aside from the 'Install Dir' another directory at '$HOME/.ftblauncher'? (On Gnu/Linux that is; I guess on Windos it would be some '%appdata%\whatever' thingamajigger.)
I found out, because I tend to only keep my user configuration (mostly small text files) on my relatively small $HOME partition, and when I tried to install a new pack, it complained about insufficient space. (The 'Install Dir' is obviously on an extra game partition.)
Temporarily I moved it over and linked it back, but it would be nice, if You could at least move the download cache over to the install dir.

However, this was not the end...
Today, I reinstalled a modpack, confirmed the presence of the cached .zip, because it is rather large (It was ~150Mb and there.) and ... the thing deleted and downloaded it again.

Steps to reproduce:
1. launch any not installed pack (has not to be run)
2. delete the modpack from 'Install Dir'
3. confirm the presence of the cached .zip in its directory in the '{$HOME,%appdata%/whatever}/.ftblauncher/Modpacks' directory
4. launch it again and see it load the damn thing down again.

Thank You for reading and keep up the good work. I really appreciate it. (Custom packing of mods can be pure PAIN! (With such an old can of electronic junk, I have to mine and craft with.))

~nyan. :3

Last edited:
Reactions: BeerCav

T. Weiner

Jul 29, 2019
Launcher will offer offline mode automatically if it can not connect to mojang's server. In get offline mode working you must have logged in succesfully in and profile must be set to save auth token, otherwise launcher will complain about bad username/password.

I did this and still cannot play offline. Been looking for a workaround, but nothing seems to work. I've tried exporting to MultiMC and even the Vanilla launcher, but either I'm doing somethign wrong (statistically more likely) or there's something fuzzy about the files.

I've seen a lot of people saying that offline play is no longer available, and many saying that it is. Can i get a straight answer from someone involved with FTB? All I want to do is play offline. >.>

It's a great pack and I love it, but it feels kinda lame that I can't play when there's no internet connection. I see the "save Auth token" checkbox is still there, but is it disabled or something? It would be great to have this fixed.

I know this is kinda a tech support problem, but since the problem may be something to do withthe launcher, and the posts seemed relevent to recent discussion, I thought i'd give it a go. If you'd like me to move this post, I will.

Help, answers, and advice are all appreciated. :D

Last edited:

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Why does the launcher put aside from the 'Install Dir' another directory at '$HOME/.ftblauncher'? (On Gnu/Linux that is; I guess on Windos it would be some '%appdata%\whatever' thingamajigger.)
You can use argument -C or --cache-dir the change cache directory path. Absolute/full path recommended.

I did this and still cannot play offline. Been looking for a workaround, but nothing seems to work. I've tried exporting to MultiMC and even the Vanilla launcher, but either I'm doing somethign wrong (statistically more likely) or there's something fuzzy about the files.
Offline mode is broken in 1.4.4. Fix pending.

Maxiride

Jul 29, 2019
Many third-party mods are published and renewed in the dedicated tab of the launcher, I was wondering if it's possible to track user activity and have a sort of Player Statistic Log with time played (total and for each modpack), number of times died, number of items used for each mod/modpack and so on.

Kinda of Steam users statistic, which collect datas from every game played, in FTB of course will be from each Modpack played.

Will it add too much memory strain? If it's viable from coding perspective, I've a little list of other futures that could be available from this data collecting future.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Many third-party mods are published and renewed in the dedicated tab of the launcher, I was wondering if it's possible to track user activity and have a sort of Player Statistic Log with time played (total and for each modpack), number of times died, number of items used for each mod/modpack and so on.

Kinda of Steam users statistic, which collect datas from every game played, in FTB of course will be from each Modpack played.

Will it add too much memory strain? If it's viable from coding perspective, I've a little list of other futures that could be available from this data collecting future.
I don't think you would be able to do that for EVERY pack, but some mod packs add a mod call YAMPST which does track this sort of data.
So, who knows, it could be possible, but it wouldn't log any data for those playing the packs offline, etc.

Maxiride

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you would be able to do that for EVERY pack, but some mod packs add a mod call YAMPST which does track this sort of data.
So, who knows, it could be possible, but it wouldn't log any data for those playing the packs offline, etc.

Did some googleing about it. It's not exactly what I was referring to, great tool for developers but I was thinking more to user-side infos all collected offline in a FTB Launcher file. Anyway who knows, as you said..

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Did some googleing about it. It's not exactly what I was referring to, great tool for developers but I was thinking more to user-side infos all collected offline in a FTB Launcher file. Anyway who knows, as you said..
Personally I don't think it'd be a good idea for Joe Public to see such info. Just because it would strengthen popular packs, and weaken new packs.
Why? Because if a pack has 200000 playing it, it must be good. But if it only has 5, then it must suck (in terms of how some people see statistics)

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Also some of the ideas are impossible to implement in launcher. Launcher only knows which pack is launcher, which mods are installed and what MC is logging.

Reactions: Maxiride

markmjb

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,
(no idea where my curse acc went so had to make a new one)

- Priority suggestion: Give feedback on the GUI what's installed and what isn't. Also resource-packs don't check if the pack is already downloaded. I can keep clicking download.

- Your suggestions list says Vanilla support, there is a 3rd party vanilla option as far as I can see.
- I support the idea "Better filter options". My main gripe with this launcher is selecting the modpacks and the search function to go with that.
The search option shouldn't be hidden in a third window, thats counter-intuitive. From a consumer point of view, all the filter options should be visible on the main screen. You have that filter- label on the GUI but there is no feedback of keywords of any kind. Try typing a search word in your filter, load the list, and than try to revert to the full original list. I did a few times, and the amount of work you have to do is just too much for that simple action.
- The download window is outside the original client, would look nicer when it's a progress bar in the bottom of the FTB Launcher.
- It would be better if you select an installed modpack from a list @ resource pack tab, and than choose a resourcepack to install with it. You are not gonna install a resourcepack without a modpack anyway.

Thanks for the work you guys have put in this launcher though, it's awesome compared to what you had to do in the old days :)

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
make it were the console is on the same screen window as the game while the game is open
So you want to see the console at the same place as where lets say NEI is right now?
Why would you want to see the console while playing? The only time I can see it come in handy is when we are talking about the server console (thus not the launcher console)for admins and even then its kind of pointless.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Rautt

Jul 29, 2019
Suggestion: Add option to skip downloads if it's taking too long.

Today my internet has been fecal matter. It took me a while to launch the launcher (by which I mean I tried for hours without results), until I got the idea of starting it offline, then connecting to the internet so that I could log in (although the first few tries resulted in the launcher not showing the official packs).

A solution to this problem would be a prompt when launching the launcher, if it's taking too long, to prompt a request to start it up without downloading anything, or connecting to anything, in a pseudo-offline mode. Like a little error box; "The launches has difficulties getting some files. Would you like to skip downloading them? (This may result in missing files & features)" or something akin to that.

S

saherrocket

I suggest that FTB needs to evolve and make it with Java ( bulit-in Java ) it would be better.