Official FTB Pack Suggestions Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FastTquick

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see any future "everything and the kitchen sink" mod packs to add more mods adding more custom hostile mobs by default. Since I feel any kind of mod pack that adds more powerful weapons tends to trivialize vanilla mobs, I think that adding more mobs would be a way to keep players on their toes from early game to end. However, since I don't really care about mods that change how the existing vanilla mobs work, I'd love to see mods that add more varients of vanilla mobs and bosses and all new mobs and bosses entirely. I think the Fallen Knights from Ender Zoo and the Chaos Dragon from Draconic Evolution are good examples.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see any future "everything and the kitchen sink" mod packs to add more mods adding more custom hostile mobs by default. Since I feel any kind of mod pack that adds more powerful weapons tends to trivialize vanilla mobs, I think that adding more mobs would be a way to keep players on their toes from early game to end. However, since I don't really care about mods that change how the existing vanilla mobs work, I'd love to see mods that add more varients of vanilla mobs and bosses and all new mobs and bosses entirely. I think the Fallen Knights from Ender Zoo and the Chaos Dragon from Draconic Evolution are good examples.

I like a fight as much (maybe more) than the next guy, but adding custom hostile mobs to your flagship packs can quickly turn people away. For those who know what they're doing, after a few nights, the camp is set up and secured. For those new to mods, or the returning players, having the first few nights be gangrape sessions by unknown or overpowering mobs (not overpowered in a game breaking manner, just in a technical scale) can make even a seasoned gamer ragequit. I'm not opposed to them being in my game, but the people I play with generally wouldn't care for it.

Many people use the KS packs as canvases on which to build. A fair number of them have no need or want to be kept on their toes, especially before they have set up a camp. I, personally, have wandered our server for well over two in game weeks before finding a site that inspired me to build on it. If we had a mod, like Infernal Mobs, running during this time, I never would have had the freedom to search for my site without having to set up and secure a base camp that I had no interest in building or keeping.

Generally, this is why the design teams leave this sort of thing up to the players who want it to add for themselves, rather than turning away all those who don't.

Reactions: Hambeau
K

Kinseth

All right. I don't post much. First post actually, but I've played FTB packs since Ultimate came out and I fell in love with them. Infinity Expert mode was a shining gem of a creation that I loved to death, playing it for thousands of hours. I am sure that there are people better qualified than me to make suggestions and recommendations, but for now, this will do I hope. Much of what I say will refer back to infinity as that is the crown gem, un-usurped at this point. I also understand that we do not want it to be identical.

For the suggestions:

- Expert mode in infinity was mentally broken down into tiers of machines. You had your basic machines that were mainly used in general processing (Thermionic Centrifuge/Macerator/Pulverizer) These machines took very little effort to create. You could argue they took an assembly table, but most things did. The Assembly table was an interesting concept, and not too hard for the seasoned to get up and running. It was a major hurdle. That said, the fact that it gated the most basic machines was cumbersome. These "Tier 1" machines being gated made the early game arduous and tedious. In Beyond, if any such system is implemented to gate machinery like the assembly table did, I would suggest that it comes into effect in second tier crafting. (Magma Crucible, Induction Smelter, Alloy Furnace)

- Expert mode should always have a strong focus on 'Goals' that the player can set for themselves. Many people like myself would make the automated mining machines (Quarries/Void Miners) into that goal. Less time mining means more time to progress. I would say most machines that can change the way the came is played can fall into this third tier. (Quarries/Void Miners/Teleporters/Powered Armor Variants/High tier upgrades/Item-Fluid-Energy Teleporters)

- Naturally, the Extreme crafting is a nice thing for those of us who put a ridiculous amount of time into the world. Given how insane the recipes are naturally, I can't see it as being very difficult to implement these as there is no need for any sense of balance in those recipes. Hahaha.

Power generation isn't an issue at all, either nerfing how much stuff generates power or making it so machines use a lot more power would add to the concept of not just having a few battery banks filled up at all times and no issues with power.

The wording on this is odd, but I think I understand. Regardless, people will always do whatever they have to do to get energy to the ponit they don't have to care. If you make a macerator need 5 generators or a filled batbox, people are going to build the five generators and a batbox. Maybe that's just me, but most things I have seen, regardless of the power draw needed, people will build a power source to match. Trying to gimp that in some way will only harm the early game of the modpack. Mid-late it will stop being relevant in most cases no matter what is done. If you want to make it relevant for mid-game, just make it harder for people to skip power generation methods by tiering them. Initial tier power for initial tier machines will work fine, but once you get to the next tier of machines, your stating power will be almost wholly unable to do so. Just an idea. It would encourage a steady progression instead of just jumping for the thing you want, and would avoid people just spamming a dozen or so low tier power gen options.

Additionally, many power options have been removed from the pack in compared to infinity. As it stands currently, making reliable piping is a pain in the ass until you have the stock of nether quartz, and we aren't even in expert mode yet. Not many of the current mods actually play very nice with each other, which is a very key point I will make in measuring the success of expert mode. For all that you can do to crafting recipes, if these mods don't start to play together better, it's going to always be lackluster in comparison to Infinity. At the moment, the only pipes I've found that play nice with everything are Ender IO Conduits. If this is going to remain this way, Ender IO needs to take center stage in the entire modpack for tech progression at the very least.

Immersive Engineering removed the RF to EU conversion from their Cables. I understand why, I'm not totally in the dark. However this effectively means that in order to make IC2 or Tech Reborn work without Geothermal, (assuming it will be disabled like before) you would have to jump from normal generators to Solar panels/Windmills/Watermills. Which aren't expensive alone... except they produce less power unless you make a shitload of them. Naturally, batteries are the answer. Perhaps this is what you are seeking to do with all modpacks. Force a large battery usage to be able to deal with low power generation. It's a polarizing idea, and becomes a matter of tastes except... if you multiply the number of machines we have to use for power generation, you are VASTLY increasing the load on any servers running your pack. FTB has always been good to servers, and I personally hope that they do NOT take this route.

-Geothermal: With item-liquid-energy teleportation locked back behind a large number of gates, it effectively cuts off the lava oceans in the nether from being used as a power source. If someone wants to transport fluid or energy from the bottom of the damn world into their systems, it's going to be expensive. There is only one black capable of creating lava. The Magma Crucible. If you merf the quantities of lava it makes, or boost how much power it takes to do so. I cannot see how Geothermal power will be an issue. It's an important stepping stone in IC2.

The Ender Dragon is a joke of a "Boss" fight and even then the [Wither] has been focused on so much that people [have] found ways to make that fight even easier than before. Stuff like this [would add] on to the expert mode effect, rather than you having to starve for resources 24/7

Fully agreed. Boost the dragon's HP. Make it have really strong knockback for getting hit. Most deaths to that dragon are from getting knocked around anyway. Good armor is easy to get, even in expert so death by damage is unlikely, and if they can fly, they may be able to dodge it entirely. Encase the crystals that heal it in something strong, like an obsidian variant. Force people to have to work to get to the bastard's regeneration. Make them have to stand still to get at them so that the dragon has a chance to hit them. The increased knockback would drain whatever flight system is being used, and to be quite frank, if a person has goddamn quantum armor before they fight the dragon, power to them. I'm looking at this as a balance to the Dark Armor, which is fairly simple to get in comparison.

As for the Wither, get rid of the wither-proof blocks. Bam, it's now something to be a little afraid of again. Perhaps I'm just old-school but nether-stars aren't something you should ever have "on farm". At least not without severe risk. Potentially, an option could be to have some form of force-field that could contain the wither. It would be end-game enough to stop it from being an issue.

Conclusion: Beyond is in a rough state of delicate balances as it is. Many of the mods don't play well together and progressing is already rather clunky. Implementation of expert mode needs to be done very carefully and needs to either address these problems, or incorporate them into the design. Re-balancing power for a harder power generation experience will only encourage people to build bigger power systems and lag the hell out of whatever server they play on. I understand we don't want this to be identical to infinity, but with all the changes and core mods dropping out, we should focus on making it as good as infinity before going off the deep end.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
As for the Wither, get rid of the wither-proof blocks.
That would be just fine, if there weren't a lot of recipes requiring nether stars. Draconic Evolution uses a ton of them for example. I think it would probably be better to gate witherproof blocks behind actually killing the wither, so that your first few fights are actually a challenge, but you can automate it afterwards. That would make the wither somewhat challenging again, but it wouldn't prevent you from getting a good nether star supply.

K

Kinseth

That would be just fine, if there weren't a lot of recipes requiring nether stars. Draconic Evolution uses a ton of them for example. I think it would probably be better to gate witherproof blocks behind actually killing the wither, so that your first few fights are actually a challenge, but you can automate it afterwards. That would make the wither somewhat challenging again, but it wouldn't prevent you from getting a good nether star supply.

Draconic Evolution is a poor mod to quote for balance in any real form. It's an extreme mod, giving the greatest benefits and at the highest possible costs. Saying it's too hard to get a resource for it is counterpoint to the mod itself in a way.

Regardless, I'm not saying it shouldn't be able to automated, I am saying it should have some risk associated with it. Set it up improperly and the wither is just going to break out of the 'cage' and wreak some havoc. Icarus wings and yadda yadda yadda. We are talking about the most difficult and powerful enemy in the game that you are 'arrogantly' creating and destroying. It should have a chance of fucking you over now and then. Otherwise it's nothing more than a glorified zombie with a rare drop. Anything that can be done to make automation more difficult or risky regarding the wither should be done.

P

Patriot1911

So.. now that Mekanism is on CurseForge, is there a chance that this might make it into regular Beyond? I know the fact that it wasn't one CurseForge wasn't necessarily the reason it wasn't added, but I feel that there might have been enough of a shift in stance that adding it is an option at this time.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
So.. now that Mekanism is on CurseForge, is there a chance that this might make it into regular Beyond? I know the fact that it wasn't one CurseForge wasn't necessarily the reason it wasn't added, but I feel that there might have been enough of a shift in stance that adding it is an option at this time.
Previously Mekanism wasn't added mostly due to performance issues iirc. I haven't sufficiently tested the new version myself yet to know if they're still there.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Mekanism has no major issues, I played it a while ago through in one of the Technic modpacks. Its also in All the Mods which I haven't experienced any issues.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Fully agreed. Boost the dragon's HP. Make it have really strong knockback for getting hit. Most deaths to that dragon are from getting knocked around anyway. Good armor is easy to get, even in expert so death by damage is unlikely, and if they can fly, they may be able to dodge it entirely. Encase the crystals that heal it in something strong, like an obsidian variant. Force people to have to work to get to the bastard's regeneration. Make them have to stand still to get at them so that the dragon has a chance to hit them. The increased knockback would drain whatever flight system is being used, and to be quite frank, if a person has goddamn quantum armor before they fight the dragon, power to them. I'm looking at this as a balance to the Dark Armor, which is fairly simple to get in comparison.

The dragon is not meant to be difficult considering you need to kill like 4 of them to get all the awakened draconium to fight the chaos guardian, cause you need full buffed draconic armor and a max draconic flux capacitor.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017

As for the Wither, get rid of the wither-proof blocks. Bam, it's now something to be a little afraid of again. Perhaps I'm just old-school but nether-stars aren't something you should ever have "on farm". At least not without severe risk. Potentially, an option could be to have some form of force-field that could contain the wither. It would be end-game enough to stop it from being an issue.

Conclusion: Beyond is in a rough state of delicate balances as it is. Many of the mods don't play well together and progressing is already rather clunky. Implementation of expert mode needs to be done very carefully and needs to either address these problems, or incorporate them into the design. Re-balancing power for a harder power generation experience will only encourage people to build bigger power systems and lag the hell out of whatever server they play on. I understand we don't want this to be identical to infinity, but with all the changes and core mods dropping out, we should focus on making it as good as infinity before going off the deep end.

You need to remember Woot is installed in FTB Beyond.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism has no major issues, I played it a while ago through in one of the Technic modpacks. Its also in All the Mods which I haven't experienced any issues.
This depends on who you talk to and what you consider major issues. I used Mekanism as my backbone tech mod in my last world, and although I enjoyed it tremendously, the near constant lighting updates from many of the Mek machines quickly caused my production areas to be absolute FPS sinkholes. It also trivializes steel production, which imbalances other mods (Immersive Engineering and RailCraft specifically), which is a major factor in balancing an entire pack.

Also when considering adding it to the pack, power generation has to be considered, as Mek power systems are relatively powerful compared to many other options in Beyond (especially given compared resource investment). For example, I had a Wind Turbine (free power) powering an AA Farmer maintaining a wheat farm. The wheat was SAG Milled into flour and extra seeds. The flour was baked into bread. The bread and all extra seeds were all crushed into Biofuel. That fuel alone would be a tremendous amount of power, but instead I turned it into Ethylene for my battery of Gas-Burning Generators. The output was insane, and the required footprint was quite small (although I used some shared systems for water and hydrogen). All possible with no input aside from materials to make machines and time to hook them up. Compared to other power options in Beyond, this becomes the hands down go-to that will start you off (Biofuel Generator) till well into late game before you need to consider upgrading anything.

I did experience some incompatibility between Mek and other mods' item pipes, energy cables, and fluid pipes, but, to be fair, at that time none of the mods were 100% happy with solutions that weren't their own. If this has been resolved, feel free to give them a pass.

I had a ton of fun with Mek, but adding it into Beyond while keeping a sense of balance could prove problematic.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
This depends on who you talk to and what you consider major issues. I used Mekanism as my backbone tech mod in my last world, and although I enjoyed it tremendously, the near constant lighting updates from many of the Mek machines quickly caused my production areas to be absolute FPS sinkholes. It also trivializes steel production, which imbalances other mods (Immersive Engineering and RailCraft specifically), which is a major factor in balancing an entire pack.

Also when considering adding it to the pack, power generation has to be considered, as Mek power systems are relatively powerful compared to many other options in Beyond (especially given compared resource investment). For example, I had a Wind Turbine (free power) powering an AA Farmer maintaining a wheat farm. The wheat was SAG Milled into flour and extra seeds. The flour was baked into bread. The bread and all extra seeds were all crushed into Biofuel. That fuel alone would be a tremendous amount of power, but instead I turned it into Ethylene for my battery of Gas-Burning Generators. The output was insane, and the required footprint was quite small (although I used some shared systems for water and hydrogen). All possible with no input aside from materials to make machines and time to hook them up. Compared to other power options in Beyond, this becomes the hands down go-to that will start you off (Biofuel Generator) till well into late game before you need to consider upgrading anything.

I did experience some incompatibility between Mek and other mods' item pipes, energy cables, and fluid pipes, but, to be fair, at that time none of the mods were 100% happy with solutions that weren't their own. If this has been resolved, feel free to give them a pass.

I had a ton of fun with Mek, but adding it into Beyond while keeping a sense of balance could prove problematic.

All mods have im-balances and issues but the benefits of mekanism outweight the effects. Mekanism generators are supposed to be overpowered considering you need so much energy to run the full 5x ore-processing plant.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
For Beyond Expert mode. Hardcore wither should be enabled, along with the Spice of Life.
Also no Vanilla recipes should be messed with, we owe it to those recipes that we're talking here.

W

willvette

Pack: FTB Beyond
Add the addon mod to Immersive Engineering, Immersive Petroleum. Immersive Petroleum adds under-bedrock liquid reservoirs, pump-jacks, oil distillation tower, and diesel fuel for the diesel generator. Adds more power options for the player and a replacement for the missing oil generation of BC which a few other mods relayed upon as a fuel option.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
I am aware that support for all 1.7.10 packs has ended but this is why I am placing a suggestion here. I would like to see updates created for the Infinity Evolved and Infinity Evolved Skyblock packs as many of the mods included in them have gone back and released new versions to fix bugs. Infinity Evolved has been the benchmark for many of today's expert packs and if any new players to modded Minecraft want to experience that pack I feel the updates would greatly assist. I am aware I can manually update the mods myself but it becomes an issue when trying to setup a server and coordinate which mods need to be upgraded to which level. And I know this suggestion will take time as it would require some level of testing to make sure the updates do not break any recipes or compromise the designed progression of the pack. So in short I hope you guys take at least a few seconds to consider this and do not just dismiss this out of hand because you have made a decree that support for all old packs has ended.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
It seems like you're under the impression that there's some kind of league of mod makers that voted and made a decision to stop 1.7.10 production. Or that they can be appealed to to convert these mods on up. It's not like that. These are independent, generally unpaid volunteers making what they want to make, and many of them are just plain out of the game at this point. This stuff just goes like the weather and people are reading the situation, not making a decision to halt progress.

FTB Beyond is already what you're looking for, or as close as you're going to find. That's because the mod pack designers can only work with the mods that are out there. Many of them are being updated, but it takes time and there's no way to push them further. They're working on Beyond expert mode now, and I'm sure they will expand as appropriate mods get released.

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like you're under the impression that there's some kind of league of mod makers that voted and made a decision to stop 1.7.10 production.

I believe you have missed my point, I am not seeking frequent updates that you would expect and need for a current pack where all the mods involved are changing, adding new content, as well as fixing bugs. What I am asking is for a bug fix update to be applied to the Infinity Evolved packs as it has been since August 2016 since the last one was released.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I believe you have missed my point, I am not seeking frequent updates that you would expect and need for a current pack where all the mods involved are changing, adding new content, as well as fixing bugs. What I am asking is for a bug fix update to be applied to the Infinity Evolved packs as it has been since August 2016 since the last one was released.

Oh, gotcha. Yes, I misunderstood. Or at least half misunderstood, as the bit about the mod makers being independent entities that made their own decisions to stop supporting their mods still applies.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, gotcha. Yes, I misunderstood. Or at least half misunderstood, as the bit about the mod makers being independent entities that made their own decisions to stop supporting their mods still applies.

While true that they are free to decide when to stop development on their projects, if they do decide to go polish up versions for earlier Minecraft versions, it would be nice if the packs included their hard work and finished version.

Reactions: zBob

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
While true that they are free to decide when to stop development on their projects, if they do decide to go polish up versions for earlier Minecraft versions, it would be nice if the packs included their hard work and finished version.

OH, maybe I double misunderstood. Are you guys saying there are 1.7.10 mods that are continuing to be updated but the FTB packs aren't being updated with them?

If that's the case, I 100% agree and sorry for totally missing that :p