Official FTB Pack Suggestions Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Im gonna wrap this debate up, Mekanism is a great mod, with a lot of cool things, Mekanism works well by itself, but when you put it with other mods it doesn't work out in a sense of balance, a simple way to add it to any pack, would be half the power from generators, and the steel casing would require like Vibrant Alloy and Manasteel.
and i'm reignighting this debatre because I actually buit a (barely) self sustaining mechanism gas-burning power plant in a 5x5x10 space
2017-09-28_12.02.46.png

as you can tell, phantom faces where a life saver in this build, as where power cells
. but almost everything that it would need are in this 5x5x10 space. a pulverizer turning bones (these would be gotten off-site, as a 5x5x10 bone farm would likely be impossible in general) into bone meal for the cloches (there are 6, 3 in back and 2 in front) extraction and voiding of substrate from the pressure reactors, water flowing through the whole thing, the only thing that's limiting it is the fact that the generators only work at half capacity for some reason, but that's still 25,000 RF/T, 5k more than your Phancy Shmancy turbine (btw, is that an advanced generators turbine or Extreme reactors turbine? Honestly, I could possible have gotten it down to 8 blocks had I used phantom energy faces instead of cables and sent them to an off0sught energy storage, and it looks like I have a block of free space in the middle

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-28_12-11-7.png
    upload_2017-9-28_12-11-7.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 140

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
and i'm reignighting this debatre because I actually buit a (barely) self sustaining mechanism gas-burning power plant in a 5x5x10 space
View attachment 34692
as you can tell, phantom faces where a life saver in this build, as where power cells
. but almost everything that it would need are in this 5x5x10 space. a pulverizer turning bones (these would be gotten off-site, as a 5x5x10 bone farm would likely be impossible in general) into bone meal for the cloches (there are 6, 3 in back and 2 in front) extraction and voiding of substrate from the pressure reactors, water flowing through the whole thing, the only thing that's limiting it is the fact that the generators only work at half capacity for some reason, but that's still 25,000 RF/T, 5k more than your Phancy Shmancy turbine (btw, is that an advanced generators turbine or Extreme reactors turbine? Honestly, I could possible have gotten it down to 8 blocks had I used phantom energy faces instead of cables and sent them to an off0sught energy storage, and it looks like I have a block of free space in the middle
The generators self regulate themselves so if they are all full, and all the machines are full, they won't make anymore power. Im talking about the Big/Extreme Reactors turbine.

One question? How long did that take?

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
The generators self regulate themselves so if they are all full, and all the machines are full, they won't make anymore power. Im talking about the Big/Extreme Reactors turbine.

One question? How long did that take?
I know they self-regulate, I had them hooked up to a power trashcan. Good to know, a couple hours.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Exactly. A couple of hours to set that up, building a Big Reactors Turbine is about a 30 minute process including automating steam input.
Yes, but 1. Setting this up is actually fun, while a turbine is made up of about 3 blocks. And 2. This thing was running at half power, had It been going the full 5k RF/T, it would have produced about 2.5 Times the power of your turbine.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Yes, but 1. Setting this up is actually fun, while a turbine is made up of about 3 blocks. And 2. This thing was running at half power, had It been going the full 5k RF/T, it would have produced about 2.5 Times the power of your turbine.
But how many turbines can I set up in the time it took you to set that up.
It takes about 10 minutes to actually build the turbine, and 20 minutes at the beginning for the starter infustructure, and then we add 5 minutes to wire everything up. 15 minutes a turbine, vs a couple hours at 25k a tick.
I'll be generous with you. 3 hours for the 25k a tick setup. In that time you can setup 10 turbines at 20k a tick. 200k a tick same time.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
But how many turbines can I set up in the time it took you to set that up.
It takes about 10 minutes to actually build the turbine, and 20 minutes at the beginning for the starter infustructure, and then we add 5 minutes to wire everything up. 15 minutes a turbine, vs a couple hours at 25k a tick.
I'll be generous with you. 3 hours for the 25k a tick setup. In that time you can setup 10 turbines at 20k a tick. 200k a tick same time.
Of course, this was with me going for compactness and figuring out a slim design that works, in half an hour I could probably set up an über carrot farm, multiple electrolytic separators and PRCs, and atleast a dozen galas generators

Also time/balence for example, Quantum storage adds a quantum disk that can hold 2147 MILLION items (214,748,364,7 to be exact) which I'm pretty sure is the highest number java can handle. And you do you make this ludicrously OP item? By putting a nether star into a quantum crafter for 100,000 ticks, or about 1 hour and 23 minuets. Does that seem balanced to you? Practically infinite storage for nothing but a nether star and waiting. Also, Big reactors has other balancing factors, most notably that Yellorium isn't renewable without something like a quantum quarry or void miner

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Pack Idea for Mekanism, Make Mekanism the core mod in the pack. Mekanism can be played Independently from other mods.
You don't need EnderIO, Mekanism has cables.
You don't need Thermal Expansion since Mekanism does all of that.
Mekanism has Automatic Resource Collection so no need for like the RF tools builder or quantum quarry.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
Pack Idea for Mekanism, Make Mekanism the core mod in the pack. Mekanism can be played Independently from other mods.
You don't need EnderIO, Mekanism has cables.
You don't need Thermal Expansion since Mekanism does all of that.
Mekanism has Automatic Resource Collection so no need for like the RF tools builder or quantum quarry.
or we could just leave it be and see what happens. really the only things I would say need nerfed are power conversion/generation and the factories

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
or we could just leave it be and see what happens. really the only things I would say need nerfed are power conversion/generation and the factories
The power gen for Mekanism itself is not OP. A Gas-Burning Gen barely keeps a 5X single ore plant running. The factories are expensive to make and take loads of power.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
The power gen for Mekanism itself is not OP. A Gas-Burning Gen barely keeps a 5X single ore plant running. The factories are expensive to make and take loads of power.
yes, a "single" gas burning gen barely keeps a "5x" ore plant running. well, good thing an average setup can power a good few generators

Y

YoyoitsBenzo

Not sure if this is the place to ask but why wasn't Ender IO added to Horizons 3? Or any way to make spawners? Just wondering, as it has a ton of mods I love but being able to make spawners in your house is what I usually look for in modded Minecraft. I didn't play the earlier Horizons so that might answer the question if I did, but I was just wondering. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong area to post this

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Not sure if this is the place to ask but why wasn't Ender IO added to Horizons 3? Or any way to make spawners? Just wondering, as it has a ton of mods I love but being able to make spawners in your house is what I usually look for in modded Minecraft. I didn't play the earlier Horizons so that might answer the question if I did, but I was just wondering. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong area to post this
EnderIO isn't in 1.12 yet.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Omg I'm dumb and didn't even see it was 1.12 as I'm so used to 1.10 packs. Lol thanks. I won't be so scrub next time :p
Its also worth reminding everyone that Horizons isn't for "favorite" mods, its an attempt to showcase mods that people may not have been exposed to.

That doesn't always mean that every mod will be unusual or new: some niches need to be filled, such as logistics or maps or biomes or whatever, and sometimes there isn't a "new or unusual" mod for that. But given the choice between a popular and an unknown mod, a Horizons pack will typically attempt to integrate the latter.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Its also worth reminding everyone that Horizons isn't for "favorite" mods, its an attempt to showcase mods that people may not have been exposed to.

That doesn't always mean that every mod will be unusual or new: some niches need to be filled, such as logistics or maps or biomes or whatever, and sometimes there isn't a "new or unusual" mod for that. But given the choice between a popular and an unknown mod, a Horizons pack will typically attempt to integrate the latter.
True, although if you check the mod list, other than a few mods like Calculator, Horizons is basically Beyond without EnderIO. https://www.feed-the-beast.com/projects/ftb-horizons-iii/files/2494124

Y

YoyoitsBenzo

And I like this about it. Like I said before, the addition of Silent's Gems was one of the main reasons why I chose it. The only thing it is missing seems to be spawners. Not sure if the chest transporters move them, but Enderman spawners and Blizz spawners are impossible. It is a great modpack tho. Enjoying it so far.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
And I like this about it. Like I said before, the addition of Silent's Gems was one of the main reasons why I chose it. The only thing it is missing seems to be spawners. Not sure if the chest transporters move them, but Enderman spawners and Blizz spawners are impossible. It is a great modpack tho. Enjoying it so far.
You can always add actually additions and use the spawner changer.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why I'm just thinking about this now, but do Immersive Engineering Powered Lanterns need to be powered in order to prevent mob spawns, or do they do that regardless?

Many of the custom structures in Sprout use them for decorative fixtures, but none of them have power running to them. They look great, but are they preventing mob spawns inside those structures as well?