NuclearCraft - A Modern Physics Mod

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
As best I can tell, the "true" rf/t is closer to around 80,000 RF/t here. We're definitely not really producing 700,000 RF/t over any appreciable amount of time (4 whole ticks in a row will make your base go sadface) but it does squeeze considerably more life out of a fuel cell. Kinda neat imo.
Your base doesn't like boom boom? Waaaat?
Pretty cool to see what you're doing with it though!

Reactions: Pyure

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still not sure how I'm going to work with all the fuel types...
In my world, I have many fission reactors - some sped up with the speed blocks, some bigger, some smaller, some for RF generation, some for depletion towards RTG fuel. You can, with a bit of planning, come up with a system of reactors which chain up to make the most of your fuels. That's part of the fun of it, I think - the logistics.
I was hoping to nerf the starting fuels heavily, to incentivize using at least 1 breeder to get into the better fuels, but that's impossible with the current config set. Any thoughts/suggestions on this?
The next update will have configs which will allow you to change all of the different properties of every different fuel ;)
How important is lithium to NC? From what I can tell, it's only used for fusion reactors, right?
In the latest update, it is now required to generate tritium, too.
@turbodiesel4598, I would LOVE to see Mekanism's gases integrated with your cells.
Should be possible - I just need to read in to how to do that first.
Also, your plating recipes (iron, basic, etc) are... weird with the ore dict. I can use your tin/iron plating in other recipes, but other tin/iron "plates" don't get used in your standard recipes(they do, however, in the heavy duty workspace). Your "basic" plating is ore dict with lead, and your lead isn't ore dict at all.
I've sorted out the lead plating ore dictionary entry, and I'll fix the lack of ore dict support for those recipes you mentioned for the next update ;)
@turbodiesel4598 you might be amused to know that this HEP-Oxide reactor is actually stable. It turns on for around 2 ticks per second (not precisely but around there). The heat manages to accumulate to the point you see it in one image before it gets drained out by all the cooler blocks before the next 2-tick pulse happens. Regular reactor total output: 1,083,321,000, Pulse Reactortm total output: 1,948,547,673
Important note, these values also perfectly represent the different output rates per tick, demonstrating that there's no weird spin-up times behind the scenes ruining my efficiency.
Nice! If you want to be as efficient as possible, you may want to use a comparator next to the fission controller and set up a little loop of redstone (with a not gate somewhere) back into it, so that it turns off when the heat gets high.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Nice! If you want to be as efficient as possible, you may want to use a comparator next to the fission controller and set up a little loop of redstone (with a not gate somewhere) back into it, so that it turns off when the heat gets high.
I'm already as efficient as possible with this size of reactor I think. My reactor hits approximately 500k heat units. I'm guessing the buffer is 1000k. At 255k h/t, my reactor can run for ONE more tick before shutting down, otherwise kablamo. I don't trust a comparator setup to handle that for me :p

That said, I'll probably set up a comparator setup anyway as a backup redundancy. Maybe it will save my base one day :)

Reactions: RealKC

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
I'm already as efficient as possible with this size of reactor I think. That said, I'll probably set up a comparator setup anyway as a backup redundancy. Maybe it will save my base one day :)
Always nice to have a secondary system for something as dangerous as that. However, a container made of blast resistant blocks should save you, too.

A little off topic, but as this is a physics mod, and I love and will study physics, if you haven't already seen the news... gravitational waves have been detected - a huge discovery!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A little off topic, but as this is a physics mod, and I love and will study physics, if you haven't already seen the news... gravitational waves have been detected - a huge discovery!
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on it :)

I'm not sure what I think of the discovery, but the prevailing community opinion seems to be that the practical upshot is that we'll be able to examine the universe with a new set of eyes, and that's coolies

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on it :)
I'm not sure what I think of the discovery, but the prevailing community opinion seems to be that the practical upshot is that we'll be able to examine the universe with a new set of eyes, and that's coolies
It's arguably the biggest scientific discovery of the century so far - nearly 101 years after the prediction of gravitational waves existing by Einstein, they have been directly observed, with a result at a high enough significance level to be officially called a discovery. Being able to detect gravitational waves may allow us to look even further into the past of the universe - even to times before light emerged from the chaos that followed the Big Bang.

...It may inspire some super late-game tech...

Reactions: RealKC

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.7b of the mod is now out! Changelog for the last 3 updates of the 1.7 series:

* Fusion reactors no longer stack and instead require a ring of powered electromagnets
* Check the YouTube video on Fusion more more details
* Fixed bug where the energy required to start the reaction was far too high

* Fission reactors no longer require a vertical line of cell compartments down the middle
* The power and heat generated and the fuel used depends on the number of cell compartments and their positions
* Adjacent cell compartments generate additional energy and heat
+ Added new cooler blocks which have better cooling rates depending on their positions in the reactor
* Many changes to the base stats of all fuels and the energy and heat generation of graphite

* Synchrotrons can now be built entirely, but do not yet have a use

+ Added Fusion Plasma which is contained within the Fusion Reactors' electromagnet rings

+ Added extra drops to certain ores
+ Added extra rare drops to monsters
+ Added anvil repair recipes to tools

* Recipe tweaks
* Other minor bug fixes
* Minor changes to some machines

* Possible other things that I have forgotten

* Made attempts to reduce lag produced by Electromagnets, Sychrotrons and Fission Reactors
+ Added sound effects to the Fusion Reactor and Synchrotron

* Changed the effects of Fusion Plasma leaks

* Bug fixes

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Version 1.7b of the mod is now out! Changelog for the last 3 updates of the 1.7 series:

* Fusion reactors no longer stack and instead require a ring of powered electromagnets
* Check the YouTube video on Fusion more more details
* Fixed bug where the energy required to start the reaction was far too high

* Fission reactors no longer require a vertical line of cell compartments down the middle
* The power and heat generated and the fuel used depends on the number of cell compartments and their positions
* Adjacent cell compartments generate additional energy and heat
+ Added new cooler blocks which have better cooling rates depending on their positions in the reactor
* Many changes to the base stats of all fuels and the energy and heat generation of graphite

* Synchrotrons can now be built entirely, but do not yet have a use

+ Added Fusion Plasma which is contained within the Fusion Reactors' electromagnet rings

+ Added extra drops to certain ores
+ Added extra rare drops to monsters
+ Added anvil repair recipes to tools

* Recipe tweaks
* Other minor bug fixes
* Minor changes to some machines

* Made attempts to reduce lag produced by Electromagnets, Sychrotrons and Fission Reactors
+ Added sound effects to the Fusion Reactor and Synchrotron

* Changed the effects of Fusion Plasma leaks

* Bug fixes

Does this mean you're now porting to 1.8.9/1.9.4?

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Featuring in the next update...
da824b1219494cb9b4ea86352e83c0d3.png

Last edited:

wormzjl

Jul 29, 2019
I wonder when will the word "physics" really comes into the mod
Do you have any plan?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I wonder when will the word "physics" really comes into the mod
Do you have any plan?
To a decent degree, it already has. Particularly with respect to the "fuel" elements themselves, how isotopes decay, and how certain isotopes can produce different byproducts after undergoing fission.

These are probably some of my favorite aspects of the mod.

turbodiesel4598

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.7c of the mod is out! This is a surprisingly big update:

* Fission Reactors no longer require upgrades!
* Fission reactors can now be a cuboid of any shape or size!
* The Fission Controller can be anywhere on the exterior of the structure

+ Added the Assembler - a machine to autocraft Heavy Duty Workspace Recipes!
+ Will never totally empty its input slots, requires a stick in unused input slots
+ Check NEI for the recipes (require the same total resources as the 5x5 recipes)
+ Will still be available if the Workspace is disabled in the config
+ Comparable to the Auto-Workbench of BuildCraft

- Removed the Lithium-7 Irradiator recipe
* Fixed some recipe irregularity in other mods' machines

* Fixed automation in non-RF machines

+ Added Steam fluid
+ Added Computer Plate and Mechanical Part
* Fixed some machine particle effects
* Fixed bug where Fusion Reactors occasionally rendered incorrectly
* Fixed some GUI update bugs in generators
+ Added the Mekanism API (to be used in the future)
+ Added Paul's voice to Paul

Reactions: fowltief