Nuclear Power discussions. Sort of.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
And Algorithm said that new precision bus will match items exactly, while fuzzy bus only differs fully-charged items from non-fully-charged.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
And I read about DDoS reactors, and now that's the second DOWANT thing in my DOWANT list.

And the concept of AE-based system using fuzzy buses:

1) Export fuzzy buses that constantly try to put non-full coolant cells to cooling towers
2) Import fuzzy bus that constantly pulls the full coolant cells from the cooling towers
3) Export fuzzy bus that constantly tries to put full coolant cells to the generating reactor
4) Import fuzzy bus controlled by a timer or a computer that pulls non-full cells from reactor by a set of redstone signals.
4) Buildcraft gate that emits redstone signal when inventory (of the reactor) is full. This should turn the reactor on when it has coolant cells.

This might be pretty robust, since
1) Reactor is off when there are some empty spaces.
2) Non-full cells are not inserted into reactor, so, if cooling is a bit slower than required, reactor will be off a bit longer (see #1)

I'm not sure how would it work in real system, but it seems to be a pretty good solution

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Pony, if you want to make your own DDoS reactor, you might find this video helpful. AFAIK its the only video that shows a DDoS reactor in action. Its an old video, so the reactor/cooler designs are very dated, and he uses RP2 to automate it rather than AE, but the basic principles should be the same.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Principles are easy to understand. More interesting thing is physical design and cooling tower/main generator designs.
But thank you anyways! ^_^

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And I read about DDoS reactors, and now that's the second DOWANT thing in my DOWANT list.

And the concept of AE-based system using fuzzy buses:

1) Export fuzzy buses that constantly try to put non-full coolant cells to cooling towers
2) Import fuzzy bus that constantly pulls the full coolant cells from the cooling towers
3) Export fuzzy bus that constantly tries to put full coolant cells to the generating reactor
4) Import fuzzy bus controlled by a timer or a computer that pulls non-full cells from reactor by a set of redstone signals.
4) Buildcraft gate that emits redstone signal when inventory (of the reactor) is full. This should turn the reactor on when it has coolant cells.

This might be pretty robust, since
1) Reactor is off when there are some empty spaces.
2) Non-full cells are not inserted into reactor, so, if cooling is a bit slower than required, reactor will be off a bit longer (see #1)

I'm not sure how would it work in real system, but it seems to be a pretty good solution
Technically, the classification are CRCS Reactors (Continuously Re-applied Coolant System), the DDoS Reactors were simply the pioneer in the field.

I'm as excited as you are about the fuzzy buses, because this does seem to be the easiest method of transferring cells around. I had two ways of doing it... either Redpower with logic gates, or with ComputerCraft. CC was fairly easy, LUA is practically designed to be trivial for such things. Hooking up a Bundled Cable, you could easily set up timing by having the reactor on a different color as the filter and retriever. Of course, making it 'reset resistant' has its own problems.

However, fuzzy buses would significantly reduce the pause between cycles, making it a more efficient reactor.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Think I'm gonna finally get around to building a nuke reactor for the first time in FTB. Just need to hammer out a good Mark I design that gives me a good output-to-resource ratio, because I'm too much of a pussy to deal with a reactor that has any chance whatsoever of exploding, lol. Even if said reactor is half a click from my base, underground, underwater, surrounded by xychordite shield, and only accessible by a Mystcraft portal.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Think I'm gonna finally get around to building a nuke reactor for the first time in FTB. Just need to hammer out a good Mark I design that gives me a good output-to-resource ratio, because I'm too much of a pussy to deal with a reactor that has any chance whatsoever of exploding, lol. Even if said reactor is half a click from my base, underground, underwater, surrounded by xychordite shield, and only accessible by a Mystcraft portal.
A good one would be the one called 'the beast'. 420 EU/t and Efficiency of 2.46 is probably the best you're going to get out of a Mk. I. Does consume 280 Copper per cycle, due to the Dense Copper Plates found in the quad uranium cells.

If you're willing to settle for around 360 EU/t, you can get away with a mere 96 copper per cycle being consumed.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
A good one would be the one called 'the beast'. 420 EU/t and Efficiency of 2.46 is probably the best you're going to get out of a Mk. I. Does consume 280 Copper per cycle, due to the Dense Copper Plates found in the quad uranium cells.

If you're willing to settle for around 360 EU/t, you can get away with a mere 96 copper per cycle being consumed.

Went thru a couple pages, and...the code name yields naught. What's the actual configuration?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
What's with the code names? Seriously, I'm getting nothing from them. I literally have NO idea what in the name of Herobrine you guys are talking about. Pictures, Planner codes...something more useful than a string of meaningless words that returns jack when I look for 'em in Google.

Not tryin to be ungrateful or anything...just frustrated.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019

Before going off and building some monster reactor with massive running cost consider making x number of the 100 EU/t 0 chamber reactors. Scaled to whatever output you want. If you use routers to manage them you can run them wall to wall on 2 routers... but that is probably just me. Without routers you will need access to 4 sides (power out, input uranium, pull depleted cells, redstone signal), so you can still pack them in tight.
AppD5yr.png

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...qr867wl4ylcn4qdoix3yd83b78y8enonfoolys5g23280

Anything below 3.33 overall efficiency is flat worse than running one or more of these. Which covers about half the reactors in the reactor thread:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8966

if you have gregtech though you will get more power from thorium+plutonium reactors. So get your feat wet with uranium and if you like it at all follow up with thorium+plutonium builds...

Edit: Added an additional side, you need to give it a redstone signal -- unless you use an MFE on the reactor to get both the power and provide the signal...

Reactions: RavynousHunter

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Before going off and building some monster reactor with massive running cost consider making x number of the 100 EU/t 0 chamber reactors. Scaled to whatever output you want. If you use routers to manager them you can run them wall to wall on 2 routers... but that is probably just me. Without routers you will need access to 3 sides (power out, input uranium, pull depleted cells), so you can still pack them in tight.
AppD5yr.png

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...qr867wl4ylcn4qdoix3yd83b78y8enonfoolys5g23280

Anything below 3.33 overall efficiency is flat worse than running one or more of these. Which covers about half the reactors in the reactor thread:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=8966

if you have gregtech though you will get more power from thorium+plutonium reactors. So get your feat wet with uranium and if you like it at all follow up with thorium+plutonium builds...

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu! Also, simple, easily-scaled...are you reading my mind? I thought only my girlfriend and my brother had that power...

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu! Also, simple, easily-scaled...are you reading my mind? I thought only my girlfriend and my brother had that power...
No problem. If that did not scare you off --

If you do end up liking the reactor before burning through too much uranium look into making depleted cells from uranium ingots. This fuel path will let you make 8 uranium cells per ingot instead of just one. The catch is you have to 'enrich' the depleted cells by running them in a reactor next to some active fuel. The hotter the reactor the faster the depleted cell renews. Optimizing for that process is what breeder reactors are designed to do.

To start look at the cheap breeder reactor in the reactor thread or if you are flush with materials and love reactors go right to one of the full sized breeders. They are all pretty good.

The breeding process is:
Craft the ingot with 8 empty cells around it to get 8 depleted cells.
Craft the depleted cells with coal to get isotopes
Place isotopes in an active breeder reactor next to a fuel cell (uranium usually)
Isotopes convert in the reactor inventory to enriched cells

Finally
Add coal dust to get uranium cell (if GT is installed you may need his canning machine to do this)
or
If you want thorium/plutonium instead making uranium here you would centrifuge 8 enriched cells. Depending on the version of gregtech you will get either cells directly or dust that can be put into a cell using Greg's canning machine.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I know I can get thorium dust from pulverizing nether coal, and my screwing around with the planner tells me that, alone, thorium is worthless as a fuel source, but its great for amplifying the output of other nearby nuclear fuel cells. Also, once I get AE down to automating the three I have right now, -then- I'll look into breeding...don't want to bite off more'n I can chew when I've just gotten my feet wet, lol.