No Idea Where To Start

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CasualNotHere

Jul 29, 2019
So hey, I just recently started Feed The Beast and I have no idea on what to do. I see around the forums people talking about things like magma crucibles, generators, mystcraft, TC3 and other things.
It would be very helpful if someone could please link me to a site that helps me start out.

I also feel like IC2 is now almost obsolete except for Quantum and the GraviChestPlate

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
http://ftbwiki.org/Feed_The_Beast_Wiki
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0356053BA45C3464

Those are great for getting started. Watching the starts of some lets play by direwolf will also help out with starting
But I found looking at the Wiki and just watching a few mod spotlights about the mods in the packs really helped with getting started

These mods are great, but in-game they're very poorly documented, some also out of the game are poorly documented, which makes the learning curve to start off with steep, but it gets easier I promise.

Reactions: CasualNotHere

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 is great and his episodes are in well organized chunks for different projects, but if you'd like an alternate (some people don't like DW's style, voice, etc.), Nite97m is a great, lesser-known youtuber.

Reactions: CasualNotHere

CasualNotHere

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I guess I should probably just start out like regular Mc(gather material, get a base up and running) before I rush into the mods,
gonna watch some spotlights since i'm still trying to figure out how MJ works and the whole engines and stuff.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I guess I should probably just start out like regular Mc(gather material, get a base up and running) before I rush into the mods,
gonna watch some spotlights since i'm still trying to figure out how MJ works and the whole engines and stuff.
Some good mods to start with are Thermal Expansion, and maybe IndustrialCraft2. Also, you will definitely want to disable Gregtech, which makes the modpack much harder and changes recipes to be more expensive.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019

That's definitely a good way to start, but keep in mind mining ores isn't just a case of go to y12 and dig around there, You'll also want to dig around y40ish too for some of the mod ores. Then you'd want to start with either a pulverisier (Powered by MJ) or a macerator (Powered by EU, and modified by Greg) These double your ores but not your gems. Don't macerate your diamonds ._.

Most people like starting with a pulveriser because gregtech makes a macerator more expensive, but that's up to your taste

Some good mods to start with are Thermal Expansion, and maybe IndustrialCraft2. Also, you will definitely want to disable Gregtech, which makes the modpack much harder and changes recipes to be more expensive.

I personally liked starting off with Gregtech, but yes definitely be warned it makes a lot of recipes much more complex, and so increases the learning curve further than it already is

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I always play vanilla until I get a good stock pile of resources. My next goal is always to set up Thermal Expansion machines to start doubling my ore.

Watching Direwolf is a good idea. I also like to go to the wiki and hit "random" and read up on different stuff, but that might just be the nerd in me.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal expansion starts you out cheaply and well. Get yourself a pulverizer, a Powered Furnace, and either a Hobbyist's Steam Engine or a Steam Engine (from Thermal Expansion). Hook them up with Buildcraft Conductive Pipes (They are all you've got for BC energy transfer right now.) Soon you can get all kinds of other machines to get better power transfer and better liquid transfer. Thermal Expansion is a great starting mod and I don't know what I would do without it.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip] And how do I power a pulverizer with Mj? Steam engines?

Simplest way, Put the hobbyist steam engine right next to the pulveriser, Give the engine a redstone signal, some coal and some water

More complex way, but your next step after powering the machines directly,
wooden conductive pipe is your Mj pipe transport input, and stone or golden conductive pipes are your transport lines

So, Engine -> conductive wooden pipe -> conductive stone/golden pipe -> machines you want to power

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Disabling Gregtech is as simple as:
  1. Clicking the Edit Modpack button (After, of course, you have selected your modpack [which you probably already have, considering you play it])
  2. Clicking Gregtech (Might take some scrolling)
  3. Clicking Disable.
Simple as Un, Duex, Trois! (See, I'm learning my French Numbers)

niklasswe42

Jul 29, 2019
How do I disable Gregtech? And how do I power a pulverizer with Mj? Steam engines?
In you'r Feed the beast launcher, press "edit modpack" its just above where the modpacks are. From there simply scroll around and press disable on the mods you dont like :) If you later on regret disabling a mod, simply press the enable button! :) Hope I cleared something up

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
In you'r Feed the beast launcher, press "edit modpack" its just above where the modpacks are. From there simply scroll around and press disable on the mods you dont like :) If you later on regret disabling a mod, simply press the enable button! :) Hope I cleared something up
Keep in mind, however, that re-enabling a mod while playing on a pre-existing world may introduce world-gen issues depending on the mod. For instance, any pre-existing terrain will not have any ores from the mod that was previously disabled. To get those, you would have to generate new terrain by either travelling really far, entering a new dimension/age for the first time, or deleting portions of the world with some other software.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
There is one path and one path only. Whether you are a noob or a grandmaster with thousands of followers on Youtube, whether you are playing vanilla or modded, you absolutely positively must...

PUNCH WOOD.

(unless you find an axe in a chest, but how often does that happen?)