New to Mods/Overwhelmed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

psp

Jul 29, 2019
NEI, yes. BoP and Bibliocraft, no. If you play any of my packs you would find that I don't include Bibliocraft, unless I don't include MFR (as the only use for Bibliocraft IMO is the printing press... which is terrible IMO - need to get more silk touch yo!)
[rant]
As for BoP, I think it is the worst world gen mod out there. A lot of the biomes are copies of ExtraBiomesXL (the OG of biome mods) and most of the biomes it copied it did poorly (redwood forests?), as for the rest they are unimaginative. It's like it tries to add a biome for everyone, but not doing it very well Ominous Woods comes to mind. It could be so much more, with grave yards, and ghoul mobs, etc.
But then we have all the useless world stuff it adds... poison lakes, poison ivy (wither ivy? I can't remember the name, or if it's BoP or not).
BUT WORST OF ALL! The nether! FLESH! FLESH EVERYWHERE! And it makes the nether a habitable place, with wood, and grass, and everything a Steve could ever need.
[/rant]

If you want a decent pack, that is like Infinity, but without the mess which is BoP, and some other cool mods, use the pack code "PTfinite" you won't regret the change ;)
The modlist looks promising.
But no RoC :(

Holy...
This mod is the coolest world generation mod I have ever seen.
Never even knew this existed!
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-world-gen-mods-realistic-world-gen-alpha-1-3

Reactions: jordsta95

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: rhn and Padfoote

Tepig4321

Jul 29, 2019
Some fundamental mods and pretty easy to learn-
Thermal Expansion
Botania
Ender IO
Iron Chests

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Some fundamental mods and pretty easy to learn-
Thermal Expansion
Botania
Ender IO
Iron Chests
EnderInO isn't a mod I would tell people to learn first, because it makes stuff too easy, and is quite OP. And if the dev was to stop updating, then people would go to other mods and be lost without its all-in-one block "feature" for pipes
Botania. Yes. So much yes.
Thermal Expansion, I guess, as it is easy.
Iron Chests... there's no learning to that really. Just 1 chest holds more than the next, and the better the material, the more it holds. No more complex than a normal crafting recipe system.
Somethings worth learning; refined relocation, applied energistics, buildcraft, railcraft, forestry

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Ok, so I am new to modding. I am 31 years old and play minecraft with my kids. I have played around with the Tech World 2 modpack, but quite frankly, it overwhelms me. Overall, the pack seems very interesting, but I am having trouble taking all that in. My thought was to maybe create a base modpack with all the essentials, and then mabe add in one or two mods at the time to learn them all. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing something like that?

Edit: After reading advice in this thread, I have decided to take off with the Direwolf20 pack and play a little along and learn what I can. Thanks for all the advice!

Good decision! Also, did you notice that while you asked HOW to create a minimal pack, most of your replies were opinions of what packs you should include? Around here, any chance to discuss favorite mods is leapt upon like a feeding frenzy in a piranha tank :D

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
@jordsta95: I really like that you suggested Railcraft as a mod to learn. I only wish there were an option to stop tesseracts from moving items and fluids.

In the same vein, Steve's Carts is a mod I don't like to be without. It's very easy to set up as an automated farming method. And once set up, it's not terribly expensive to keep going, and keep you in food more or less forever.

Reactions: Padfoote

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
@jordsta95: I really like that you suggested Railcraft as a mod to learn. I only wish there were an option to stop tesseracts from moving items and fluids.

In the same vein, Steve's Carts is a mod I don't like to be without. It's very easy to set up as an automated farming method. And once set up, it's not terribly expensive to keep going, and keep you in food more or less forever.
The only issue I have with Steves Carts 2 is the unbearable wait times on cart crafting... it is pointless

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Agreed. Early on it's a pain, but you can go manually mining or something while it works. Later on, I build a Module Knowledge Upgrade, and that helps a lot.

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
So feeling "overwhelmed" is mostly why we play modded minecraft I think. There is good reason why "What cool little thing have you discovered today?
" is the biggest thread in this forum. We all like this feeling, we all enjoy discovering new thing and inventing new combinations that no one else didn't even tought about. No one here can say they know everything about the game they are playing. We are in a perpetual learning experience.

to get you started well I suggest to follow Thermal expension, buildraft and mine factory reloaded,until you can at least get a TE pulverizer, a BC quarry and a MFR harvester working together. This will give you a good overview of power generation, machines and automation on top of giving you access to most of the basic ressource so you can then explore the other mods as you like.

Reactions: ChemE

psp

Jul 29, 2019
So feeling "overwhelmed" is mostly why we play modded minecraft I think. There is good reason why "What cool little thing have you discovered today?
" is the biggest thread in this forum. We all like this feeling, we all enjoy discovering new thing and inventing new combinations that no one else didn't even tought about. No one here can say they know everything about the game they are playing. We are in a perpetual learning experience.

to get you started well I suggest to follow Thermal expension, buildraft and mine factory reloaded,until you can at least get a TE pulverizer, a BC quarry and a MFR harvester working together. This will give you a good overview of power generation, machines and automation on top of giving you access to most of the basic ressource so you can then explore the other mods as you like.
Kinda. For me its the idea or thought that you can never complete modded mc, there is always something new.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
NEI, yes. BoP and Bibliocraft, no. If you play any of my packs you would find that I don't include Bibliocraft, unless I don't include MFR (as the only use for Bibliocraft IMO is the printing press... which is terrible IMO - need to get more silk touch yo!)
[rant]
As for BoP, I think it is the worst world gen mod out there. A lot of the biomes are copies of ExtraBiomesXL (the OG of biome mods) and most of the biomes it copied it did poorly (redwood forests?), as for the rest they are unimaginative. It's like it tries to add a biome for everyone, but not doing it very well Ominous Woods comes to mind. It could be so much more, with grave yards, and ghoul mobs, etc.
But then we have all the useless world stuff it adds... poison lakes, poison ivy (wither ivy? I can't remember the name, or if it's BoP or not).
BUT WORST OF ALL! The nether! FLESH! FLESH EVERYWHERE! And it makes the nether a habitable place, with wood, and grass, and everything a Steve could ever need.
[/rant]

If you want a decent pack, that is like Infinity, but without the mess which is BoP, and some other cool mods, use the pack code "PTfinite" you won't regret the change ;)

I agree with you on BoP, Bibliocraft and EnderIO. Bibliocraft shelves lag the game like crazy when you use them in moderate amounts and the printing press and all that just isnt any fun. And the actual filesize of the mod is quite large, it only makes sense to me that it would increase stress on the system. BoP is just too too much, it just eats up memory like nobody's business. I always preferred Highland's biomes and trees but its quite buggy nowadays so I just use vanilla world gen and it works just fine. Now I focus less on finding the "perfect spot" to build on and can find the magical forests and tainted lands much easier. And EnderIO is like an extreme case of oversimplification. Its got two measly cheap as dirt processing machines that take the place of TE's suite of much more interesting machines and the enderIO ingots are so unwarranted, random and stupid ive minetweaked away the need for them completely. But the fluid pipes are nice and easy to use, I like the spawners and the vaccum chest but the main reason I keep it around is for the night vision helmet.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with you on BoP, Bibliocraft and EnderIO. Bibliocraft shelves lag the game like crazy when you use them in moderate amounts and the printing press and all that just isnt any fun. And the actual filesize of the mod is quite large, it only makes sense to me that it would increase stress on the system. BoP is just too too much, it just eats up memory like nobody's business. I always preferred Highland's biomes and trees but its quite buggy nowadays so I just use vanilla world gen and it works just fine. Now I focus less on finding the "perfect spot" to build on and can find the magical forests and tainted lands much easier. And EnderIO is like an extreme case of oversimplification. Its got two measly cheap as dirt processing machines that take the place of TE's suite of much more interesting machines and the enderIO ingots are so unwarranted, random and stupid ive minetweaked away the need for them completely. But the fluid pipes are nice and easy to use, I like the spawners and the vaccum chest but the main reason I keep it around is for the night vision helmet.
/me adds night vision to JordsUtils ;)
But seriously, there isn't much need for EnderIO when other mods did everything first:
Powered spawner? Auto-spawner (MFR), Soul Cage (Soul Shards)
Vacuum Chest? Vacuum Hopper (Open Blocks)
Pipes? Pipes (every tech mod ever ;))
Machines? Machines (every tech mod ever)
It is a very dirty mod, which I feel doesn't deserve the fame it has. Before Thermal Dynamics, if there wasn't EnderIO in a pack no one knew how to transfer RF... which I guess shows how much of a grasp TE had on everyone in 1.6, but it also shows how people find the easiest thing and cling to it. Almost every pack, that had EIO, had Buildcraft, and buildcraft could transfer RF just the same, but no one used it because reasons?
I will stop ranting about how bad the easy and op mods have on the community. A lot of packs that didn't have EIO where being asked repeatedly to add it, and I am glad a lot of pack devs didn't.

Reactions: epidemia78 and psp

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Not quite the same, they're lossy and a bit more clunky due to the need of wooden pipes.
Well yeah. But they both transmit RF, and BC is a little more "realistic" (you shouldn't loop powerlines, etc.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Its also worth noting that Thaumcraft [alchemy/golems/miracle working], Botania[awesome hippy magic], Tinkers Construct [tools, weapons and metalworking], and RotaryCraft [mechanically driven machines and engineering] have some pretty decent in-game tutorials.

Last edited:
Reactions: psp

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Its also worth noting that Thaumcraft [alchemy/golems/miracle working], Botania[awesome hippy magic], Tinkers Construct [tools, weapons and metalworking], and RotaryCraft [mechanically driven machines and engineering] have some pretty decent in-game tutorials.
But RoC isn't for the faint of heart, or average simpleton...

Reactions: Padfoote

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
But RoC isn't for the faint of heart, or average simpleton...

It is -however- very well designed and rather intuitive. Yes it requires thinking, but each stage and every concept is introduced one at a time. You can go a slowly as you need and build one's confidence with the system.

The numbers for power look scary, but they're just numbers- you can slay them with a pocket calculator if needed.
(most of them are just powers of two anyway)

Reactions: psp