New Tekkit

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing realistic about how IC handles electricity.
- gold is more conductive than copper, not less
- copper is more conductive than tin, not less
- glass fiber is not conductive AT ALL and is not made of diamonds

Even ignoring these inconsistencies, the wiring system is not very balanced. How often do you see anything BUT glass fiber cable in builds? Only people making high-end nuclear reactors or playing gregtech have any incentive to use anything but glass fiber cable.

Eloraam has actually created a system that's somewhat realistic.

I agree here, although her decisions on how to model wiring ended up with wiring that works very well for small distances and very poorly for large distances, and we never really saw a proposed resolution to that.

King lemming saw that realistic doesn mean 'fun' perse and created a cabling system that's both fun and easy on the server cpu. All hail King Lemming! ;)

Redstone Energy conduits are great and actually useful, which is such a novel idea for moving buildcraft power. KL basically salvaged the entire Buildcraft tech tree with a few machines. Awesome. :)

There are other power systems out there, though. Steam is great, overall (although I wish CJ would stop nerfing everything that works well; I really am not sure what he actually wants us to do to make steam!) and UE's powergen options are fun (though... they have bizarre default values for conversions to IC2 energy; gotta fix that).

Both Railcraft and Atomic Science turn power production into huge multi-block affairs with lots of ancillary automation and a bunch of fun and subtle design choices. For example, the exact size and nature of your boilers can be a matter of some debate depending on what you're doing. Similarly, there is a surprisingly interesting design choices on Atomic Science nuclear reactors and Fusion Reactors.

I don't like the trend we've all run into of "perpetual power". I wish high-end Power was an occasional chore. In this, Gregtech does a better job than most.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
lemming is just using pipes that look different, is the same as buildcraft.

and this is minecraft, steve can carry 7 titanic's weight in enchanted golden apples but no more than 36 water bottles, it doesn't have to make sense.

Im not saying it should, as is obvious in my reference to TE conduits. Which are completely different from bc pipes.

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing it, Galacticraft is such a game changer... been waiting since first seeing it two months ago. The problem is finding a decent server >_>

Also between tesseracts, AE, and MFRs rednet / routers / conveyor belts.... gotta say.... so far it's been "rp2 who?" (rednet is amazing)

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing it, Galacticraft is such a game changer... been waiting since first seeing it two months ago. The problem is finding a decent server >_>

Also between tesseracts, AE, and MFRs rednet / routers / conveyor belts.... gotta say.... so far it's been "rp2 who?" (rednet is amazing)
just wait until you want to make a frame machine

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
just wait until you want to make a frame machine

Ha, y'know, one of the first ideas I had was "oo man! I could make a really sweet faux launch vehicle and slowly roll out my rocket from a hidden hangar!!!! ..................o wait ._. "

Ironically it was the first time I ever wanted to use frames >_>

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Ha, y'know, one of the first ideas I had was "oo man! I could make a really sweet faux launch vehicle and slowly roll out my rocket from a hidden hangar!!!! ..................o wait ._. "

Ironically it was the first time I ever wanted to use frames >_>
I use them for everything. In fact to test if something is a good design I always check to see if it would work on a frame machine

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing it, Galacticraft is such a game changer... been waiting since first seeing it two months ago.

Just started playing it. Still wiki-free atm and everything has been pretty NEI intuitive except for Galacticraft. I'm totally lost with that, and will probably have to do some reading up before I really dive in. But that's okay because I'm having a blast with dimensional doors. Spawned right next to a rift, so it was practically the first thing I did. The number of different dungeons I've encountered has been mind-blowing (literally. I have died so much)

My plan is to have ten million ways to get into my base, none of which involve walking through the entrance ;D

The ore distribution is different from FTB, since I'm assuming they're only using per-mod worldgen instead of having one mod override everything (is it TE? I forget). That took a bit to get used to, and the lack of XYcraft makes it feel like there's almost nothing down there lol

This Tekkit has made me realize that I enjoy exploration-driven mods more than tech-driven or magic-driven mods, which has given me some ideas for making a private pack that throws away a lot of things I'm used to and adds a bunch of other stuff

Reactions: kilteroff