New Tekkit

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
*disclaimer, this thread is meant to be a discussion about the new tekkit pack, lets not make this a flame war or talk about the actual people behind tekkit

So the technic team released a new pack today. Its called tekkit which is probably the most confusing name they could think of. Anyways when I first saw it I thought it was a joke. Theres no IC2, redpower, railcraft, forestry, thaumcraft etc. However it did have some cool mods like galaticraft and dimensional doors. I also like that there is pretty much one power system, MJ (although MJ isn't as cool without forestry and railcraft). I think its cool that they are going in sorta a different direction then FTB, I of course wouldn't ever want to play it, however what are your opinions on it?

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I literally just saw a pack yesterday which used interesting mods and focused around an MJ power system.

I doubt it's the same one, though, because that one was supposed to be a lightweight pack. Dimensional doors and galacticraft sound... a little too weight for that pack.

It's a step forwards, I guess. Most packs just have the staple mods of TC RC IC2 RP2 BC3 and whatnot, with maybe soul shards or something and then they label it as a brand new pack when really it's the exact same thing but with a diffrent mod.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I think its fine that they go for a different path without all the coremods every pack has, but the name is completely retarded.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Anyways when I first saw it I thought it was a joke. Theres no IC2, redpower, railcraft, forestry, thaumcraft etc.

The lack of forestry is the surprising one. SirSengir has given permissions for people to use them. Forestry is a key player in modern MJ setups.

I think we all know why this was done. When RP2 looks like it wil have a 1.5.1 release, then everyone will add it to their modpacks. Tekkit wants to be able to make the 1.5.1 transition. Let's hope Eloraam does it, but even Direwolf20 is ripping all the brass tubing out of his SSP series in favor of AE because he wants to get to 1.5.1.

Railcraft

I could see making that decision for a big build map, especially since they seem to have MFR. Railcraft is basically in my pack for tanks and boilers. 90% of the rails are superflous, and the flow control machinery is only necessary if you don't have other mods doing it. Unless I'm missing something, most of what you can do with Railcraft switching is possible with just MFR.

However it did have some cool mods like galaticraft and dimensional doors. I also like that there is pretty much one power system, MJ (although MJ isn't as cool without forestry and railcraft). I think its cool that they are going in sorta a different direction then FTB, I of course wouldn't ever want to play it, however what are your opinions on it?

I'm wondering where I charge my MPS. The TE version with charging bench isn't in the pack. And I dunno why people dislike multiple power systems, so long as power systems can endure some sort of sensible conversion.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
I'm wondering where I charge my MPS. The TE version with charging bench isn't in the pack. And I dunno why people dislike multiple power systems, so long as power systems can endure some sort of sensible conversion.

MJ (used by most mods), EU (sorta realistic and has different voltages), Bluetricity (really underpowered, and who wants real life stuff in minecraft anyway?), factorization energy (more or less like EU), universal electricity (EU + bluetricity), xycraft lasers (interesting way to power stuff), steam (used by railcraft in most of it's stuff). Not counting EMC, Vis...

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The question is will that mod pack even run on a server without disabling mystcraft and galacticraft. We all know how laggy MC gets with multi dimensions with just mystcraft let alone adding in potentially 2 more mods which just add even more dimensions.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
We all know how laggy MC gets with multi dimensions

I don't. It's laggy? Only on dimension creation has it ever lagged for us.

with just mystcraft let alone adding in potentially 2 more mods which just add even more dimensions.

Galacticraft should have no more impact than having the nether. As for Dimensional Doors... it's gotten better.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I noticed about this pack that it has one clear progression path. You create a basic TE machine setup, then farms with MFR. Somewhere in there you will also get a MPS. You get a quarry with Buildcraft, and maybe a basic sorting system with the help of Additional Pipes and Iron Chests, or just skip straight to Applied Energistics. And after/during all that, you can go explore other dimensions, whether they are from Galaticraft or Mystcraft, which you can then use to your advantage. The only exception to this would be Steve's Carts and ComputerCraft. As for the name, well, someone should teach them about version history.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I think we all know why this was done. When RP2 looks like it wil have a 1.5.1 release, then everyone will add it to their modpacks. Tekkit wants to be able to make the 1.5.1 transition. Let's hope Eloraam does it, but even Direwolf20 is ripping all the brass tubing out of his SSP series in favor of AE because he wants to get to 1.5.1.
Dire said that is a big mod didnt update he wouldnt update his world, he was gonna end his current world and start a new one because he doesnt want huge portions of his world missing. He is really just using AE because his sorting system kept getting jammed and he wanted more space for more items, and to be able to access them from anywhere in his house. ANd he wanted to demonstrate the possibilities of it. I doubt he is gonna update his LP to 1.5 anytime soon, because its not just him that is using the pack.

Reactions: RedBoss

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower2 is an absolute staple for me. It is used in all of my builds. Can't update without it. I will only use 1.5.1 for testing purposes and in case I get the beta for Resonant Rise.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually really interested in it and how it's gonna play
same, I think tekkit is struggling to survive at this point, hence the new modpack. I think it has some mods that it doesnt need and is definitely lacking things like forestry. One thing I like is how its basically one power source and that it is a lot simpler. But simply a put a techpack without redpower is pointless to me ATM[DOUBLEPOST=1367616462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Redpower2 is an absolute staple for me. It is used in all of my builds. Can't update without it. I will only use 1.5.1 for testing purposes and in case I get the beta for Resonant Rise.
Resonant rise is pretty cool, havent played around with it in a while. Didnt know it was 1.5.1 yet.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Doubt I will try the tekkit offering. Not because of any politics or morals or dumb missguided thinking. Just have my hands full as it is.
But did want to comment on the excellent web page for that pack. Love the effect when scrolling down.
Really well presented.
Not sure if Cheap shot had a hand in it or not but It was impressive.

Just so people know the page I'm talking about.
http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I might try it at some point. Keyword "might". I have a personal mod pack I'm working on which has pretty much everything that Tekkit now has. But the odds of me releasing said mod pack is super low.
Releasing the configs after I've got them all working, on the other hand...

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I might try it at some point. Keyword "might". I have a personal mod pack I'm working on which has pretty much everything that Tekkit now has. But the odds of me releasing said mod pack is super low.
Releasing the configs after I've got them all working, on the other hand...
Personally I have been enjoying direwolf+Gregtech (and optifine so that I can actually play) I used to make my own but it just got really annoying after a while. However with tekkit pllatform its now a lot easier to make private modpacks for you and your friends, so I might give it another try. Not really sure I need to anymore though

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
same, I think tekkit is struggling to survive at this point, hence the new modpack. I think it has some mods that it doesnt need and is definitely lacking things like forestry. One thing I like is how its basically one power source and that it is a lot simpler. But simply a put a techpack without redpower is pointless to me ATM[DOUBLEPOST=1367616462][/DOUBLEPOST]
Resonant rise is pretty cool, havent played around with it in a while. Didnt know it was 1.5.1 yet.

It was 1.5.1 when you played with it the second time. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1367626179][/DOUBLEPOST]

As soon as we nagivate this BoP v0.5.1->v0.5.2 we're letting a bunch more people on including you if you still want to come. You need to come see some of the really fun stuff we're figuring out how to build, like DoctorOr's automated factorization system that doesn't use redpower and functions at a near optimal speed w/out routers.

Reactions: Booker The Geek

CasualNotHere

Jul 29, 2019
*disclaimer, this thread is meant to be a discussion about the new tekkit pack, lets not make this a flame war or talk about the actual people behind tekkit

So the technic team released a new pack today. Its called tekkit which is probably the most confusing name they could think of. Anyways when I first saw it I thought it was a joke. Theres no IC2, redpower, railcraft, forestry, thaumcraft etc. However it did have some cool mods like galaticraft and dimensional doors. I also like that there is pretty much one power system, MJ (although MJ isn't as cool without forestry and railcraft). I think its cool that they are going in sorta a different direction then FTB, I of course wouldn't ever want to play it, however what are your opinions on it?
Are you sure it's not the modpack Big Dig? Since Big Dig from what I see is a BIG ripoff of FTB in some ways.