New Tekkit

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure it's not the modpack Big Dig? Since Big Dig from what I see is a BIG ripoff of FTB in some ways.

Interestingly enough we are capable of reading webpages with titles. So yes. We are sure we are not referring to Big Dig.

By the way, Big Dig is in no way a ripoff of FTB. It is substantially different.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I would use big dig if not for my current mod pack construction. It sounds interesting enough to look into further(*did a bit already, but that was a while ago), and hearing that it's substantially different from FTB makes me want to try it more.(because I love learning about new mods and fancy new toys, even if I usually just end up grabbing them and placing them in my personal install. Kind of why I originally came to the FTB forums, to expand my Minecraft knowledge. I stayed because people here are fun to talk with, assuming they aren't being dicks and just want to fight, but everyone wants to fight now and then so it's understandable to a degree)

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure it's not the modpack Big Dig? Since Big Dig from what I see is a BIG ripoff of FTB in some ways.

I think I am falling to Poes law here, but just in case you are serious, what has FTB actually produced which could be "ripped off", and how did Big Dig do it? From what I can tell neither FTB nor BigDig contain anything that they produced, being simply a repackaging of a collection of existing mods produced by other people and freely available for anyone to download. By definition it is impossible to rip something off if that something has nothing unique in the first place.

Reactions: RandomMoped

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
It was 1.5.1 when you played with it the second time. :D[DOUBLEPOST=1367626179][/DOUBLEPOST]

As soon as we nagivate this BoP v0.5.1->v0.5.2 we're letting a bunch more people on including you if you still want to come. You need to come see some of the really fun stuff we're figuring out how to build, like DoctorOr's automated factorization system that doesn't use redpower and functions at a near optimal speed w/out routers.
I'd love to come! No RP2 or IC2 and mining by myself with no help fazes me a little, but I can still mine. It'll be fun trying to figure out how to hook up an Import and Export bus to my machines without taking up too much space. You are adding RP2 in the future, right?
Even if you don't I'd still love to join.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
Does Big Dig not work for anyone else? When I tried to load it up it just crashes. :/

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
What?
Not having RP2? I'm sad too. But it'll be fun to test the new features. I will be at a loss without RP2, considering I really need those retrievers so that Autoswap systems can be so much more compact. There is no way (that I know of) to hook up an Import Bus and an Export bus to the same face of an object at once.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019

wow,
As your a new member and you've been hit around the head with that quote a few times allready I'll just leave it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry won't be added because of the exploding bee thing(or whatever it was). Even though there is permission now there's a fear the Sengir could revoke permissions again and make more exploding bees. I personally wouldn't want to risk my players worlds exploding because of bipolar decisions.

People need to stop being drama queens and curate great mod packs rather than sitting in a pile of rancor.

Reactions: Redweevil

zbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2019
Kirin and Alex: stop stoking the flames. Like the wise Pumbaa once said: "Put your behind in your past. Er..."

Personally, I'm interested to try this out simply because I can't get dimensional doors and mystcraft to play nice together on my own, and I'm really curious how that interaction could work. It's clearly a leaner, more focused pack, although that focus kind of makes me question some of the mod choices due either to redundancy or arbitrariness (which I'm normally not concerned about, but when focus seems to be the intention, randomness can really stick out). Anyway I'd have to play around with it for a bit first, to see how everything works together.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah can I just say I am enjoying that we can have this discussion like adults on this site. It sends out a good example of the way forward.
I think most people with an opinion who post in this thread are aware of the history of certain events. And people who are not can google.

Times are changing for the better.
People who once I thought would never give out permissions in a thousand years are putting the past behind them and helping the community to move forward.
We do ourselves and the community great injury every time we drag it up.
Not directing that at anyone in particular. So far I don't think anyone is flaming, and certainly not trolling. Just as it was brought up I think we should do ourselves a favour and avoid an easy opening for any trolls attracted by the tittle.

So.... Has anyone actually downloaded it and tried it yet ?

Reactions: canilsen

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I miss RP2 as well. If we can get it on 1.5.1 we will. I promise.
that's not the reason for the sad face. It's your server, and I'm not gonna tell you who you can and can't invite there because it's definitely not my place... but I can't think of anyone I'd like to play with less than whizzball.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
MJ (used by most mods), EU (sorta realistic and has different voltages), ...

There is nothing realistic about how IC handles electricity.
- gold is more conductive than copper, not less
- copper is more conductive than tin, not less
- glass fiber is not conductive AT ALL and is not made of diamonds

Not to mention the distances, losses and storage that's not realistic at all.

The creator of IC wanted to create a lifelike power system without understanding electrical engineering, created a cumbersome system and then said "screw it" and added fiber cables beacuse the other cables are so bloody annoying.

Eloraam has actually created a system that's somewhat realistic. King lemming saw that realistic doesn mean 'fun' perse and created a cabling system that's both fun and easy on the server cpu. All hail King Lemming! ;)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing realistic about how IC handles electricity.
- gold is more conductive than copper, not less
- copper is more conductive than tin, not less
- glass fiber is not conductive AT ALL and is not made of diamonds

Not to mention the distances, losses and storage that's not realistic at all.

The creator of IC wanted to create a lifelike power system without understanding electrical engineering, created a cumbersome system and then said "screw it" and added fiber cables beacuse the other cables are so bloody annoying.

Eloraam has actually created a system that's somewhat realistic. King lemming saw that realistic doesn mean 'fun' perse and created a cabling system that's both fun and easy on the server cpu. All hail King Lemming! ;)

lemming is just using pipes that look different, is the same as buildcraft.

and this is minecraft, steve can carry 7 titanic's weight in enchanted golden apples but no more than 36 water bottles, it doesn't have to make sense.

Reactions: RedBoss

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
that's not the reason for the sad face. It's your server, and I'm not gonna tell you who you can and can't invite there because it's definitely not my place... but I can't think of anyone I'd like to play with less than whizzball.
and what might that reason be?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

No, he didn't. The goal of EU power has never been realism anymore than zombies and skeletons spawning in the dark.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
lemming is just using pipes that look different, is the same as buildcraft.

Actually, no they are not. It has vastly different internal logic than BC conductive pipes. They carry the same energy type, and that is honestly where the similarities end.