New Microsoft Minecraft project...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
What, Alex is female? :p
And it's not really new...Computercraft did it before. Except inside the 3D world.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
What, Alex is female? :p
And it's not really new...Computercraft did it before. Except inside the 3D world.

I was referring to Microsoft's statement that they bought Minecraft to get kids into programming. I just went through the tutorials and granted, it covers the simplest programming concepts but it's a start. I'd recommend anyone not familiar with programming to go through the course to get a simplistic idea what mod development is like. It runs on-line at
code.org

The concept of blocks representing code statements precedes Computercraft, actually... the Microsoft Robotics Studio SDK was introduced in 2006 or so for several robotics development environments, including my version 1 Lego Mindstorms and iRobot's (Roomba) experimenter platform among others. It's Visual Programming Language (VPL) looks a lot like this.

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I was referring to Microsoft's statement that they bought Minecraft to get kids into programming. I just went through the tutorials and granted, it covers the simplest programming concepts but it's a start. I'd recommend anyone not familiar with programming to go through the course to get a simplistic idea what mod development is like. It runs on-line at
code.org

The concept of blocks representing code statements precedes Computercraft, actually... the Microsoft Robotics Studio SDK was introduced in 2006 or so for several robotics development environments, including my version 1 Lego Mindstorms and iRobot's (Roomba) experimenter platform among others. It's Visual Programming Language (VPL) looks a lot like this.
AH...the good old RCX.
Its the only reason I did not yet trash the windows 98 laptop yet, pure for the very unlikely chance I will ever want to use it for something awesome.
(although it gets more unlikely every hour that it will happen and the fact that I also have an nxt probably doesn't help either)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ehm... Decades old PLC programming with a kids interface on it?

Haven't there been made some new versions of Colobot or something similar? Those where great for learning the ropes of programming.

Last edited:

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
AH...the good old RCX.
Its the only reason I did not yet trash the windows 98 laptop yet, pure for the very unlikely chance I will ever want to use it for something awesome.
(although it gets more unlikely every hour that it will happen and the fact that I also have an nxt probably doesn't help either)

Lucky you... isn't the NXT somewhat networkable, so you can use separate controllers under the "supervision" of a main one?

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
So how long until there will be an API to write a bot that can play the full game of Minecraft (if someone is good enough of a programmer), all the way from collecting wood to making tools to building its own house to gathering food to mining for stuff to fighting mobs to farming to exploring the Nether to killing the Ender Dragon?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Lucky you... isn't the NXT somewhat networkable, so you can use separate controllers under the "supervision" of a main one?
The nxt has Bluetooth which it can use to send data to others. The rcx can communicate with others by sending integers between 0 and 255 if I remember correctly.
I also have an infrared sensor for the nxt making me able to make the rcx an slave of the nxt, sadly enough as far as I know not the other way around.