New Launcher stuck at Preparing

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
Title New Launcher stuck at Preparing

Launcher Type Curse App

Modpack All of them.

Modpack version Any.

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file No Log

Details of the issue When ever I try to play any mod packs using this new launcher Mojang added, it always get stuck at preparing and just freezes up. Is there any way to fix this or is this something on their end? As far as I know my java is up to date, I mean I was playing it all day before this...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Anoukh

I was in middle of checking my custom pack for crashes when the new launcher interrupted everything. Now im in the same position. Stuck in preparing. Curse loader wont load a regular minecraft version, even without Forge. So this new launcher seems to have broken Curse.

Standard minecraft itself loads fine. Curse wont, it freezes.

Last edited:

EmoKiba

Jul 29, 2019
Yes also getting the same issue, im going to launch via MultiMC and see if it has any better results. Hopefully this issues gets resolved soon

UPDATE: Okay so launching my pack via MultiMC had absolutely no issues so til this resolve we might all look into that

Last edited:

Raxerm

Jul 29, 2019
Bump. I have the same issue. I presume it has to do with the new update to the native minecraft launcher. I can't even get the regular one to work.

EmoKiba

Jul 29, 2019
Okay Guys I found a Solution: Go to your curse settings>minecraft>turn your launcher from native to jar then just install the minecraft files and it will go back to the legacy launcher: Hope This Helps

Reactions: Erugar
E

Erugar

Okay Guys I found a Solution: Go to your curse settings>minecraft>turn your launcher from native to jar then just install the minecraft files and it will go back to the legacy launcher: Hope This Helps
Thank you so much, this worked

A

Anoukh

Thank you so much! This works!

H

hamlock

I don't understand what you mean by "install the minecraft files"? I've tried installing old versions of the launcher and uninstalling every current copy of MC on my PC and it still keeps giving me the "psssssst, MC launcher has a new look" message and loading up the new launcher, which is still stuck on "Preparing"

What am I missing?

EmoKiba

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand what you mean by "install the minecraft files"? I've tried installing old versions of the launcher and uninstalling every current copy of MC on my PC and it still keeps giving me the "psssssst, MC launcher has a new look" message and loading up the new launcher, which is still stuck on "Preparing"

What am I missing?
when you set the mode and go to the minecraft tab on curse it will say you need to install missing files and thats what im referring too

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
How do you install the missing files again? Sorry if this is a noob question XD not use to this.

J

JustinAdams13

I did this but then it says that the folder in the path contains non-alphanumeric character. Please select advanced setup and select another folder. When i select a folder it says that there was an error changing the folder. Also, do you guys have the download folder in a one drive file, im wondering if this is the problem

Last edited:

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
Nevermind, I didn't realize it would come up with that message XD It's what I get for being impatient. I'll let you know if it works for me.

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I got the old launcher to work thanks to you EmoKiba... but now I've run into a new problem. I get a message reading: "Error: Could not create Java Virtual Machine. Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit."

Nevermind, I gave it too much ram XD

*edit*
No, something is definitely wrong. It keeps giving me that error despite having it at the recommended ram =/

Last edited:

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv

Curse has support for the new launcher that will be ready to hit the Alpha client fairly soon, in the meantime the above is the suggested workaround. I'm also told that the rollout is going to be pulled short term due to a crash bug so for some of you this may fix itself I guess.

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it keeps saying "Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx4096m The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size." I don't understand, it's never did that before...

Reactions: Geordiehc
J

JustinAdams13

Am i the only one having the non-alphanumerical character error?