New Launcher stuck at Preparing

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't understand why this is not working. I reinstalled JAVA, I even added _JAVA_OPTIONS -Xmx4096M to system variables, yet I am still getting the message that it's Invalid maximum heap size...

LordKhaos

Jul 29, 2019
I set it down to 2 gb, and now it's saying I don't have enough space... which is rubbish I have 8gb ram.

*Edit*
I set it to 1gb and it works... but there is no way I'm going to be able to play it using 1gb...

*Edit 2*
Alright, I got it to work. For some reason I didn't have JAVA 8 64 bit... which is strange since I didn't have it in the first place and it worked... Regardless, thanks for everyone's help. Peace <3

Last edited:
A

Anoukh

Anyone else that gets the annoying ghost launchers stuck in task manager, when force closing the frozen native launcher? I get 3 ghost launchers stuck in task manager, that prevents me from opening a new launcher. It launches again once i manually end the ghosts.

K

kasper993

Anyone else that gets the annoying ghost launchers stuck in task manager, when force closing the frozen native launcher? I get 3 ghost launchers stuck in task manager, that prevents me from opening a new launcher. It launches again once i manually end the ghosts.

Me too. I can`t update the new Minecraft Launcher, it stuck in the midle. And when i go to the Task_manager i have 3 Ghost minecraft.exe too. I dont kno what to do. Help please

DuckyTheDudeGuy

Jul 29, 2019
Bump
Same issue, switching from native to jar creates an error.
So let me get this clear and out of the way. This is a quite recent problem, curse is aware of it and are working on it? Im just trying to get people the right information.

P

Parkour_Guy

Okay Guys I found a Solution: Go to your curse settings>minecraft>turn your launcher from native to jar then just install the minecraft files and it will go back to the legacy launcher: Hope This Helps
ok everyone, I spent forever doing research on this and trying to fix it myself but i finally got it!. You want to start with what EmoKiba said. Then you will most likely get an error message saying invalid heap size. To fix this, all you need to do is uninstall your current Java version via either the java uninstaller on their website, or got to control panel > add or remove programs > Java (your version). THIS DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU HAVE THE UP TO DATE VERSION. Once you have uninstalled it, go to the Java website and click download at the top. Then DON'T click Agree and Start Free Download like you normally would. Instead, scroll down to where it says "not the right operating system? See all Java downloads". Click on that and download the 64bit version. This should fix it. ALSO make sure when you actually download it that you have the Curse launcher or any other programs that use Java are closed. Once you start up the Curse launcher it should work. If not, your machine could be 32bit therefore download the 32bit Java. If this doesn't fix it or you get any sort of error feel free to reply to me and I will try to help! Thank you everyone!

P

Parkour_Guy

Also I am experiencing tiny lag spikes in game now which could be purely coincidental but I am curious id anybody else is having this problem ever since using this fix. Thanks!

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
Curses Alpha branch just updated tonight to add compatibility for this, if you aren't on the alpha branch then your best course is to select the jar launcher in settings instead of the native launcher.

L

Leariuz

I tried the reverting back to the old launcher and it still doesnt work

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I tried the reverting back to the old launcher
How?

it still doesnt work
What happens? Errors or logs?

For all reporting that using jar launcher does not work:

Like @Parkour_Guy told few messages ago you need to install 64-bit java manually otherwise you'll get error messages about memory problems.

1. Goto https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
  2. Click "Windows Offline (64-bit)"
  3. Install java
  4. Restart Curse
  5. Open Curse options: Click "Cog" in lower left corner
  6. Click minecraft in left side
  7. Make sure "Jar launcher" is selected as Launch method
  8. Select "Always Latest Version" as Java version
  9. Doublecheck that selected java version is "1.8.0.121 (64 Bit)"
  10. If it's something else check if "1.8.0.121 (64 Bit)" is in the list
  11. If "1.8.0.121 (64 Bit)" is listed select it
  12. If "1.8.0.121 (64 Bit)" is not in the list go back to step 1
  13. Try starting MC
If it's still failing:
Pastebin contents of "Launcher Log" and game "Game Output" tabs. Everyone should do that instead of telling it errored.

If you have that alphanumeric requirement error contact Curse.

Last edited:

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I did this but then it says that the folder in the path contains non-alphanumeric character. Please select advanced setup and select another folder. When i select a folder it says that there was an error changing the folder. Also, do you guys have the download folder in a one drive file, im wondering if this is the problem

If this is still a problem my suggestion is to file a bug report to Curse. See: https://support.curse.com/hc/en-us/articles/210207493-Report-a-Bug#client for more information.

D

DukeMonty

As a terrible noob, and parent to kids who play minecraft, directions that look like:
1. Delete xxx from here (given likely place minecraft is installed)
2. Go here (link to site) to get this and place it here
3. Open (this) and type this to point at this and you are set
Are VERY helpful.

Other comments, for which I am grateful, like 'then resintall" is sadly not specific enough.

On another note: How do we know that Curse is fixing the new minecraft launcher problem? How do we know there is an alpha version?
I would think that Curse would have a big 'news' splash screen, that gives status on things like this. I mean, the new Mojang launcher breaks Curse itself for minecraft. I would think it would get major, homepage coverage with updates as the fix goes through alpha, beta, release. maybe it does and I just can't find that?

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I've spoken to the Curse app dev team about the issues with the new Mojang launcher. They told me that they've been working with Mojang to make sure things work correctly, however Mojang pushed out release of the new launcher before they were fully ready. Currently the new launcher is rolled out to < 1% of users so doesn't warrant a huge banner/splash screen (I realise this doesn't help those that are affected).

D

DukeMonty

Yea - it certainly cuases problem in our family. My son and I do not have it. My daughter does. She is pretty upset.

D

DukeMonty

okay - there is some update. Now the games crashes instead of hangs.
Any news on fixing this?

M

MCKiller22

I am having a similar problem, When I open the modpack Im trying to play (Project Ozone 2) The forge containing all the mods and stuff does not even show up, what do I do