New idea for TE

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah. Thanks for the info. Could prove useful for bridging small gaps between inventories and TE machines. Plus, the cost of one is about in the middle between BC pipes and BC gates.

Just thought, could a vanilla hopper feed into a BC pipe system?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately your idea is basically "Applied Energistics" with another name. And we already have too many mods simply copying stuff from another instead of adding new stuff.

Personally with AE I don't really think we need another item transport system. It already integrates VERY well with the existing buildcraft and TE systems.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
So, have to use another mod to be able to do something that a mod should be able to do itself? That's what's lacking in TE at the moment, a way for it to pull materials from inventories. Currently it can just output to inventories.
Players want options, otherwise everyone will be playing the same mods in one pack in the same way all the time.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
So, have to use another mod to be able to do something that a mod should be able to do itself?

Why should it? Why develop something that's already there instead of spending time on something that's not? I know that King Lemming is working on some form of item transport and I'm sure he'll create something that's actually needed. Another version of AE most certainly isn't.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
1.5.1 already has a ton of new toys along this aspect. There are so many good options for item transport that it seems a little superfluous. Liquiducts are so awesome because the competition is terrible; it's less clear that he could kill the category as well with item transport.

Well, Liquiducts are awesome because they're actually awesome. ;) And yet they're being improved lots for 3.0. The new fluid system cuts the packet data roughly in half.

As far as item transport goes, it's something that we're doing for completeness, but computationally, AE/Infinitubes is the way to go with a conduit-like system. We'll have non-windowed ducts which will very closely approximate the cpu, but it won't be instant. Tesseracts are going to remain the most-cpu effective method of item transport, period.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Why should it? Why develop something that's already there instead of spending time on something that's not? I know that King Lemming is working on some form of item transport and I'm sure he'll create something that's actually needed. Another version of AE most certainly isn't.
Because not everyone loves Buildcraft pipes, not everyone loves Redpower2, not everyone loves AE, and not everyone loves MFR. And even if someone has nothing against any of those last three mods, having to include them just to get item transport is excessive because they all introduce tons of extra stuff that you might not be interested in.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Jeez, all I suggested is one block that can pump items out of inventories that uses TE cleverness, Hydra goes all high and mighty over AE.

There needs to be a "mid-game" option that's more cpu efficient and only takes up one block (instead of 2-3 (pipe, engine, lever/redstone torch) ), but doesn't rely on ender pearls (BC Gates). I feel I'm being forced to use EE3 to transmute my iron into ender pearls or go to The End just to get anywhere. Hunting Endermen in the wild is a slow painful process.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I feel I'm being forced to use EE3 to transmute my iron into ender pearls or go to The End just to get anywhere. Hunting Endermen in the wild is a slow painful process.
Killing the dragon should be considered "mid-game" in FTB with all the extra toys that you get on top of vanilla, and then you can easily build a vanilla Enderman farm. I thnk Ender Pearls as a requirement for sophisticated item transportation and logistics (autarchic gates, tesseracts) is reasonable.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Oddly enough I've never even seen the end in any of my SSP worlds. I've only seen it once in an SMP world and I wasn't the one that built the portal. In fact, I didn't even know what the portal was or anything about the end when I hopped through it. >.>

Reactions: Lambert2191

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Similar to me. Only been to the End once, and I cheated my way there in a test world. All the ender pearls I've gathered so far I've used on my ender chest sorting system.
I'm currently doing bee breeding, so using BC pipes, and want to start automating, but don't want the annoyance of redstone engines and levers on wooden pipes, so instead, I have to find a stronghold, activate the portal, kill a dragon, kill a load of endermen, just so that I can get my bee automation slightly more compact?
I wouldn't mind that for tesseracts, but just for a basic autarchic gate? Gah.

If only it didn't rain so much in Minecraft, I feel like I should be building an Ark... :D

LittleMike

Jul 29, 2019

Actually there's a very good reason why - because it's not already there in every pack. I play Mindcrack, which doesn't have AE. Not to mention just for the matter of completeness. TE has liquid transport, it has energy transport, why not have item transport as well? *shrug* I don't see how adding features is a bad thing if it's inline with the spirit of the mod even if other mods already have the feature.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Because not everyone loves Buildcraft pipes, not everyone loves Redpower2, not everyone loves AE, and not everyone loves MFR. And even if someone has nothing against any of those last three mods, having to include them just to get item transport is excessive because they all introduce tons of extra stuff that you might not be interested in.

So if we add ModX that has some form of pipes, and someone does not like that mod for some reason, we have to have mod Y?

Again, I have NOTHING whatsoever against a good pipe system (as I've made pretty obvious in my reference to what KL is probably coming up with) but something that exactly duplicates functionality in the pack is useless and just empty padding.

Jeez, all I suggested is one block that can pump items out of inventories that uses TE cleverness, Hydra goes all high and mighty over AE.

High and mighty? I simply have a different opinion than you have. This is a forum you know, a place where people exchange opinions? If all you want is people that go and agree with you I suggest you send suggestions in an e-mail to yourself.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Liquiducts are awesome because they're actually awesome. ;) And yet they're being improved lots for 3.0. The new fluid system cuts the packet data roughly in half.
Just a question:
Is it somehow possible to prevent neighbouring Liquiducts to connect? Either in my current version (2.2.2.2 for MC 1.4.7) or in a newer version?
My situation:
(Playing on a server:) One line filled with honey. Built another line next to it for lava transport. At first they didn't connect (since one was filled with honey), so lava could be transported like I wanted. Logged off and several hours later on again. At some point the lava was completely drained (I don't know if that was before, during or after I logging off). When I took a look after a while, the honey was inside the duct for the lava, so the empty duct suddenly connected to the honey line. The honey line was always filled to the brim, so two empty ducts side by side wasn't the problem. Also noone entered my lair to hit one of them with a wrench.
I'd like some kind of system to make sure, that neighbouring ducts cannot connect, e.g. like RP2 can do with covers between tubes.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Just a question:
Is it somehow possible to prevent neighbouring Liquiducts to connect? Either in my current version (2.2.2.2 for MC 1.4.7) or in a newer version?
My situation:
(Playing on a server:) One line filled with honey. Built another line next to it for lava transport. At first they didn't connect (since one was filled with honey), so lava could be transported like I wanted. Logged off and several hours later on again. At some point the lava was completely drained (I don't know if that was before, during or after I logging off). When I took a look after a while, the honey was inside the duct for the lava, so the empty duct suddenly connected to the honey line. The honey line was always filled to the brim, so two empty ducts side by side wasn't the problem. Also noone entered my lair to hit one of them with a wrench.
I'd like some kind of system to make sure, that neighbouring ducts cannot connect, e.g. like RP2 can do with covers between tubes.

Someone is trolling you. Ducts don't auto-connect in this fashion. Seriously, a wrench was involved.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I guess the thing to do is perform some controlled tests, just to prove or disprove the source of the problem, either troll or king lem. I've not seen anyone else report this sort of problem (and it would have been a screamer).

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Someone is trolling you. Ducts don't auto-connect in this fashion. Seriously, a wrench was involved.
I had a similar thing happen to me and I was not trolled. I had parallel liquiducts, water and fuel, crossing a chunk boundary. The fuel duct disconnected at that chunk boundary and connected itself to the water duct. I've since moved the parallel ducts apart, but the fuel duct still continues to disconnect itself at the chunk boundary periodically.