new gregtech fussion reacktor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
yea, I see your point.
The problem with this is, that by cutting down the fuel production you are also cutting down the effective EU/t of the reactor. At some point it will become hard to justify building it at all. (Which it already is if you compare it to UHSPs - but that's mainly due to solars being OP)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I think you build fusion reactors because they're cool, not because you need the power. By the time you build one you're typically rather advanced.

Oh, and I don't use solars because IMHO they're too cheesy. I'd much rather build 50 generators and burn a forest ;)

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
I think you build fusion reactors because they're cool, not because you need the power. By the time you build one you're typically rather advanced.

Oh, and I don't use solars because IMHO they're too cheesy. I'd much rather build 50 generators and burn a forest ;)

yes, we had it planned as an end-game goal, possibly months in the future. But even with overclockers that's way too many machines to keep one power source going. My biofuel boiler has 20-something machines just to keep it up and running, and that's already too many in my opinion

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

It's too bad there isn't something in between 50 generators and a fusion reactor you could build. And I'm not being sarcastic; I don't think anyone really considers nuclear to be a valid option right now as it stands.

An unfortunate aspect of IC2 design that I've gone on at length about is that it's much more sensible to replicate small power solutions en masse than to build an intermediate power solution.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
Greg is going to be adding some more generators in the future, probably in 1.6. For now, I usually 5x nuclear output in the ic2 config.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
It's too bad there isn't something in between 50 generators and a fusion reactor you could build. And I'm not being sarcastic; I don't think anyone really considers nuclear to be a valid option right now as it stands.

An unfortunate aspect of IC2 design that I've gone on at length about is that it's much more sensible to replicate small power solutions en masse than to build an intermediate power solution.

we created our first uu matter using a thorium reactor, 240 eu output. worked a treat until we got enough UU to create our first UHS

Xenophon

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear reactors were actually fairly decent until the recent patch nerfed thorium/plutonium hybrids.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Depends on whether you're fuel- or power-limited. Thorium and uranium reactors are incredibly inexpensive to run in the 20-280 eu/t range, which fed into some chunkloaded MFE chains make a decent alternative to ferrying around lakes of lava. Generators take less initial investment, but setting them up in-place is fairly costly and any serious automation cuts into the investment gap quickly.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on whether you're fuel- or power-limited. Thorium and uranium reactors are incredibly inexpensive to run in the 20-280 eu/t range,

Not anymore.

Generators take less initial investment, but setting them up in-place is fairly costly and any serious automation cuts into the investment gap quickly.

How do you even reliably automate a nuclear reactor? I've only seen on reasonable go of it from DW20 and his solution is brittle in the extreme. One unluckily-timed server restart will end it all.

Xenophon

Jul 29, 2019
You can automate reactors fairly easily using routers and AE. Routers to place items in specific slots in all linked reactors, and AE to remove depleted isotope cells.

Edit: and AE to autocraft items to keep the router's buffers full.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf's setup is extremely inefficient. You should check out CRCS reactors on the IC2 nuclear engineering forum

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf's setup is extremely inefficient. You should check out CRCS reactors on the IC2 nuclear engineering forum
To be honest, I don't like how DW20 showed a condensator-cooled reactor to the masses without mentioning that you blow about 1/3 of your EU on lapis, more if you're using GT. He really ought to have made a CRCS system.

How do you even reliably automate a nuclear reactor? I've only seen on reasonable go of it from DW20 and his solution is brittle in the extreme. One unluckily-timed server restart will end it all.

Automating a CRCS system is pretty easy, especially with the fuzzy buses added by AE. As soon as I'm able to show you my setup I will.

Xenophon

Jul 29, 2019
Shakie: Please do. I'm planning a CRCS reactor on my new 1.5 server, but I haven't done that type of thing since the CASUC days and an example would be greatly appreciated.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Not anymore.
Which version change? I've been getting strange on/off behavior from a 33 eu/t 0-chamber thorium reactor in 3.06c that wasn't present in 2.8ish stuff, but it's still a machine that only takes tin cells along with grinded coal and forcium byproducts once every seven hours of playtime, and that can scale pretty easily up to 50 EU/t even before adding additional chambers or non-fuel consumables. Uranium's more expensive since the Uranium Dust to 8 Depleted Uranium Cell recipe was disabled by default, but you can still run a 160 EU/t before copper or uranium costs get /that/ high.
I've only figured out how to do it with Quartz and Factorization, but there's supposedly some way to run GregTech buffers or regulators or something to run it. Practically speaking, the significantly longer lifetime of the fuel makes automation a lot less vital here than with thermal generators or similar stuff as a mid-game matter -- by the time you've replaced the cells two or three times, you should be replacing the reactor, too.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Not done much in the way of testing with the new fusion reactor, but with each bucket of helium plasma giving 8,192,000 EU and costing 524,288 EU (after the initial 40,000,000 startup), a production run of 6 tritium/deuterium would be power-positive to the tune of about 6 million EU. Full automation seems rather excessive.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Shakie: Please do. I'm planning a CRCS reactor on my new 1.5 server, but I haven't done that type of thing since the CASUC days and an example would be greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately my world is still on 1.4.7, and the fuzzy buses aren't added until 1.5. In my world i'm automating it with RP. No doubt an AE setup would be far easier/simpler, but I haven't an example of that to show you (yet), nor do I know of anyone who does. When I update though, i'll make one.

Xenophon

Jul 29, 2019
My only concern with fuzzy buses is figuring out a good way to replenish coolant cells without also filling in empty slots resulting from depleted quad-plutonium cells. I suppose automating both the coolant cell swapping and the nuclear fuel replenishment might be a bit too much to hope for, as manually adding in new fuel cells isn't too big a hassle. Alternatively, I suppose you could use fuzzy buses to remove cells and routers to add them back in, but you would need a router for nearly every slot in the reactor for that to work.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
My only concern with fuzzy buses is figuring out a good way to replenish coolant cells without also filling in empty slots resulting from depleted quad-plutonium cells. I suppose automating both the coolant cell swapping and the nuclear fuel replenishment might be a bit too much to hope for, as manually adding in new fuel cells isn't too big a hassle. Alternatively, I suppose you could use fuzzy buses to remove cells and routers to add them back in, but you would need a router for nearly every slot in the reactor for that to work.
I know, which is why I have never bothered with complete automation, though that is also partly because I find it unnecessary. I think that a GT advanced filter can output exactly what you wantr into each slot, and nothing else, which you could connect to your ME network via a storage bus (I think). However, since I've never used an advanced filter I don't know for certain.

Xenophon

Jul 29, 2019
Routers work much better than GT advanced filter (and are much cheaper!) if you are trying to automate more than 1 reactor. I had 8 routers + AE import busses fully automating 2 perfect hybreeders and 8 4-chamber hybrids awhile back. Ran for a month straight with no need to touch anything.