Nether too hostile now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, those annoy me too. Having overworld dirt in the nether looks goofy, and the "hellbark trees" look suspiciously like stubby oak trees.
Yup. I don't mind the hell based trees. Especially if the grow upside down or offer evil apples. But hell bark trees suck. Overworld dirt should not be in the nether at all. It doesn't fit. The weird thing is that if you plant hellbark trees in the Overworld, they replace the dirt block with netherack once you chop it down. Weird.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
You're right. Is that a 1.5 thing? I played so long on RR's last map that I rarely left my Biome's "safe zone".

But the nether really isn't that bad. The spiders are easy to fight, their size is a disadvantage (except for baby spider explosions). The nitro creepers are dangerous but I tend to move slowly in he nether so I usually spot them. My biggest danger is mining nether ores. When pigmen get ticked off over your mining, then isht gets real. LOL.

All in all I like the new nether. The little stumpy trees are annoying to me. But that's minor.

I'm pretty sure creepers always lurk in gangs

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure creepers always lurk in gangs

Especially when there's creeper spawners... that spawned next to a lava lake.. and the only avenue in is a 1 block wide with lava on one side and wall on the other

that terrain generation was nasty... >.>

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
Are
Especially when there's creeper spawners... that spawned next to a lava lake.. and the only avenue in is a 1 block wide with lava on one side and wall on the other

that terrain generation was nasty... >.>

Are you sure you weren't playing a Vechs map? :p

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
You're right. Is that a 1.5 thing? I played so long on RR's last map that I rarely left my Biome's "safe zone".

But the nether really isn't that bad. The spiders are easy to fight, their size is a disadvantage (except for baby spider explosions). The nitro creepers are dangerous but I tend to move slowly in he nether so I usually spot them. My biggest danger is mining nether ores. When pigmen get ticked off over your mining, then isht gets real. LOL.

All in all I like the new nether. The little stumpy trees are annoying to me. But that's minor.
Yeah I think out of everything the Zombie Pigmen are the worst, I am always accidentally mining the nether ore and then its a fight for my life to get back home.

Reactions: RedBoss

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
It used to be bad enough dodging constant Ghast fireballs, but now I am finding that my life expectancy (with iron armor) is under a minute due to the combination of firebats and heatscar spiders, both of which set you on fire. Being on fire in the nether is a real bummer because there's no way to put yourself out. So even if you defeat the enemy, you will still likely burn to death. Is the nether supposed to be like this now? Like a realm where you need something on the order of invulnerability just to enter it? The Nitro Creepers are also abound, which will insta-kill you unless you are heavily armored. There's not even a chance to kill them with a sword first. On top of all this, I have Mo Creatures installed which has its own assortment of hostile nether mobs.
The nether is SUPPOSE to be Hell. It SHOULD be hard as Hell. In fact, I still think it isn't hard enough. They need to add machine gun ghasts or something to make it hard.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Xiges

Jul 29, 2019
Fire-resist potions are your friend. Seriously. Full iron armor & tools and some fire potions and you're set. And especially with enchanting +, it's waaaaay easier than it really should be.

I'm still waiting on more overworld mobs though :(

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
BTW; what's generating all that tainted soil or whatever in the Nether now? It's kinda annoying in the quantity it occurs in and it's almost useless too.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Not even Tainted Soil? :eek:
I hate tainted soil for one reason... Mining. With the addition of quartz, mining the nether in vanilla, let alone modded MC is a necessity in server play. Add in nether ores (plus uber TiCo tools) and branch mining the nether becomes ridiculously profitable.

The advantage of mining in the nether has always been that you don't need a shovel. That may seem like a petty complaint, but besides surface gravel or slow sand, who really brings a shovel into the Nether? Tainted soil is also less useful than netherack. And there's SO much of it. It really slows down excavation.

Now I also need a shovel in the nether. Meh. Minor complaints, maybe. But I hate dirt in the nether

Reactions: TheAtomicOption

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I never leave the house without a shovel. Heck, I never loaf around the house without a shovel. Rule #2 of Minecraft with me is "Always Know Where Your Shovel Is." o_O
LOL. Well I admit that.

Rather who expects to use their shovel while mining in the nether? I don't like the dirt but TiCo & Thaumcraft make it easier to deal with. But I don't have to like it! :D

Reactions: SpitefulFox