Nether too hostile now?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
If you're just looking for a little glowstone to get started, villages can also help. One of the mods adds a type of stone tower that uses a single block of glowstone to light it up. I admit that finding villages with this tower might be a pain in the bum, but it's much lower risk than an armour-less Nether run.
Those towers are added by Thaumcraft.

As was also mentioned you can do the ic2 (expensive) recipe to make glowstone, or if you're lucky you might have a priest villager that you can trade emeralds with to get glowstone.

While I haven't gotten a feather to see how good feather-fletching is yet, I would suggest a slime farm to get slime fletching and rods for arrows. The slime fletching gives the arrows 96% (maybe more, don't remember off the top of my head) accuracy (leaf fletching is something like 87%) and the slime rods make the arrows lighter than wooden ones. From there you can make a bow and with TC3 enchanted bowstring. The enchanted bowstring decreases the time to pull back the bow and adds an extra modifier, and while slime bows are slightly slower (.2 seconds) than a wooden bow they also have nearly 7x the durability.

Basically, with TiC slimes are your friend, and make plenty of arrows and a good bow. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble later in dealing with some of the mobs.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
haha I was actually there looking for a couple pieces of glowstone so that I could build a jetpack. Used to be an early game option, but it seems the nether is more of a mid-game realm now. I'm fine with that really, since minecraft has always been too easy, but I was just thinking the heatscar spiders are a bit crazy.

Also, I can't seem to find anything in the Natura options so I can shut them off. Nothing anywhere about heatscar spiders.
They take quite a beating too. Setting you ablaze while you whack them. Lightning wand does ok but not nearly as much damage as you'd expect. Tough mobs! And numerous. I wouldn't mind toning them down to maybe 20% their current occurrence if possible.

Wait until you see a jocky & you better hope its not a skelly or wither skelly, but it will be :).

Jul 29, 2019
Those towers are added by Thaumcraft.

While I haven't gotten a feather to see how good feather-fletching is yet, I would suggest a slime farm to get slime fletching and rods for arrows. The slime fletching gives the arrows 96% (maybe more, don't remember off the top of my head) accuracy (leaf fletching is something like 87%) and the slime rods make the arrows lighter than wooden ones. From there you can make a bow and with TC3 enchanted bowstring. The enchanted bowstring decreases the time to pull back the bow and adds an extra modifier, and while slime bows are slightly slower (.2 seconds) than a wooden bow they also have nearly 7x the durability.

Feather fletching is comparable in accuracy, but lighter by .08. I'm not certain if it's all that useful, a cursory test and they seem to travel roughly the same distance.

Slaagathor

Jul 29, 2019
What if after the ender dragon was killed a sort of chaos creeped out from where the dragon fell and eventually changed the biome, and built bridges to ender islands with fortresses and stuff, sorta like you just unlocked the next level type thing.

This is perhaps the coolest idea I've heard in a long time! I'd like to see someone do this!

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
So you guys know, a sword with any kind of knockback, even the longsword from TiC 1.5x bonus whilst sprinting is plenty to deal with nitro creepers

Sure they have a nasty fuse, but the thing is they still act the same as creepers, get far enough away from them and they don't blow up, just means you need to bounce them further away

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You think that's hard, try installing zombie awarenss and infernal mobs. You don't dare spend 5 seconds outside at night in the overworld. The number of times we have died on the Omega Dawn server these last few days must be in the double digits for each of us. Has been quite amusing, and forcing us to work out new tactics due to the improved AI.

Zombie Awareness is a terrifying mod. They get REALLY nasty. Infernal Mobs is just unfair. Fun kinds of unfair.

Reactions: PyreBorn

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
You're complaining about the nether? Wait until you get a taste of 1.6 modded mobs. Multiple creeper spawns, lethal skellies in all sorts of dense armor, charged nitro creeper jockies, invisible spiders, and hordes.... HORDES of zombies. Thaumcraft steroid filled ANGRY zombies. Baby Angry Zombies. Covered in thorns enchanted armor all making a bee line for you while you fumble about with your stone tools.

Wave after wave of instant spawning zombies. Baby zombies that steal your gear and don't burn in the sun. Moaning and gnashing and spontaneously generating as you rage and wish you had 1.5 heat scar spiders. And remember. 9 times out of 10, heat scar spiders in 1.6 will also have potion effects like invisibility and strength.... :eek:

Yeah buddy. Grab a pack of Depends. You'll need them.

fergcraft

Jul 29, 2019
You're complaining about the nether? Wait until you get a taste of 1.6 modded mobs. Multiple creeper spawns, lethal skellies in all sorts of dense armor, charged nitro creeper jockies, invisible spiders, and hordes.... HORDES of zombies. Thaumcraft steroid filled ANGRY zombies. Baby Angry Zombies. Covered in thorns enchanted armor all making a bee line for you while you fumble about with your stone tools.

I already get multible creepers I tend to usually 3 of them at a time.

Reactions: RedBoss

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019

Wave after wave of instant spawning zombies. Baby zombies that steal your gear and don't burn in the sun. Moaning and gnashing and spontaneously generating as you rage and wish you had 1.5 heat scar spiders. And remember. 9 times out of 10, heat scar spiders in 1.6 will also have potion effects like invisibility and strength.... :eek:

Oh my goodness

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Sounds like my omega dawn pack/server :D With the zombie awareness mob, they actively try and path find to you. One small hole in your defenses, and they'll find it. Combined with extra types of creepers from Primitive mobs, and the odd rare occasional mob that can shoot fireballs from Internal Mobs, if there isn't a hole, they could soon make one....

A visit to the new Nether is quite peaceful. :D

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah just the vanilla mob spawns that the mindcrackers have to deal with scare me enough, I can't imagine what people in the modding community have come up with.
Looks like in 1.6 I will have to first thing make nano armor with a jet pack to get away quickly.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
Zombie Awareness is a terrifying mod. They get REALLY nasty. Infernal Mobs is just unfair. Fun kinds of unfair.
On Omega Dawn we're testing a setup with Zombie Awareness and Infernal mobs both set well above standard settings, with BoP disabling 90% of biomes with trees... It's fun :p (If you can find trees, that is)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I like the new nether. It shouldn't be a cakewalk. People shouldn't be in the nether setting up magma pump systems the first day on the server. Well, most people. :p

Having spent a few days in there I only died once. Guess what? Killed by the only thing that ever kills me in the nether, LAVA! lol.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Once I step out of the portal I just make a dash for the nearest wall, burrow a cave into it then wall up the entrance. All those exposed ores outside are nice but I can find stuff like that hidden in the netherrack and not have to deal with wildlife.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Spring water in the nether is nice for putting fires out, but don't make the mistake of thinking that the regen buff actually works. It doesn't. Health regenerates as fast naturally as it does in spring water. Anyway, I consider placeable liquids in the nether to be a bug which I hope will be fixed.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I already get multible creepers I tend to usually 3 of them at a time.
You're right. Is that a 1.5 thing? I played so long on RR's last map that I rarely left my Biome's "safe zone".

But the nether really isn't that bad. The spiders are easy to fight, their size is a disadvantage (except for baby spider explosions). The nitro creepers are dangerous but I tend to move slowly in he nether so I usually spot them. My biggest danger is mining nether ores. When pigmen get ticked off over your mining, then isht gets real. LOL.

All in all I like the new nether. The little stumpy trees are annoying to me. But that's minor.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

LeQwasd

Jul 29, 2019
Le me, wondering around nether with full hp and full bronze armor set, almost full armor bar, when suddenly - boom. Nitrocreeper blows me 20 blocks away into lava ocean.