Mystcraft Stable Ages

connerity1

Jul 29, 2019
Ah ok, good to know Lightning Rods work that way.

Is there a Mystcraft page to generate an age with eternal thunderstorm weather? Or at least (heavy) rain?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Sometimes, the reason an age is unstable is not obvious, for example if you have: {Zero Length, Noon, Normal Sun} {Zero Length, Rising, Normal Moon} and {Full Length, Normal Stars} This looks normal but Stars symbols do not require a length symbol so this age could generate with a small amount of instability. For someone new to Mystcraft this could be confusing because the Sun and Moon symbols need a Length symbol... So why not the stars?
I never include length symbols and my ages are usually stable. Or... do you mean that the instability is because stars can't have a length symbol? And, isn't that what Clear Modifiers does, clears out unnecessary symbols such as length on stars?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I never include length symbols and my ages are usually stable. Or... do you mean that the instability is because stars can't have a length symbol? And, isn't that what Clear Modifiers does, clears out unnecessary symbols such as length on stars?
I'm fairly certain stars CAN accept length symbols. At least, the Wiki implies they can. I never saw the point since stars are only visible at night anyway, but I suppose you can.

That's not exactly what clear modifiers does. If a modifier can't modify the symbol you're trying to modify, it'll move on to the next symbol and try to modify that. So if you have a color, a Sun, and then Stars, the modifier will color the stars because Suns don't accept colors. What Clear Modifiers does is clear any dangling modifiers, so if you have a color, a Sun, Clear Modifiers, and then Stars, the stars won't be colored and that color page does nothing.

So Clear Modifiers basically works as a barrier, not letting any earlier modifiers affect symbols that come after, and is particularly useful for long and complicated descriptive books because you can keep modifiers from affecting another part of the book just in case you screwed something up. At least, that's its intended use. But due to a bug in Mystcraft, you have to end your book with that symbol to prevent instability.

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech's Lightning Rods do not actually respond to lightning "strikes" as common assumption, Lightning Rods have a random chance of being "struck" by lightning when there is a thunderstorm. So adding charged to an age will have no effect on lightning rods, but if you put Eternal Storm in an age then Lightning Rods will generate EU.

If you do intend to make a lightning rod age, use: {Flat} terrain generation and {Twilight Clearing Biome, Single Biome}. This is because the more Iron Fences that are stacked on top of the lightning rod the more of a chance it has to generate EU, so bury it at bedrock and stack iron fences to skylimit. The reason for the Twilight Clearing Biome is because the Twilight forest generates terrain at y-level: 30, so it will be easier to dig to bedrock from y:30 than the usual y:64 standard terrain generation..

Gus

Jul 29, 2019

Length symbols are for when you want your Sun or Moon to stay still or have a half length day, or a double length day, ect. To my knowledge Stars cant have a length symbol, it will result in extremely minor instability, Sun and Moon are optional to put length symbols in but Stars can't have a length symbol because Stars are technically there all the time just not shown.

Clear Modifiers will clear any "Dangling" Modifiers, but length symbols are not modifiers.
See the Mystcraft wiki on modifier symbols: http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=writing:symbols

Sacrimantius

Jul 29, 2019
Cool tip I picked up from over on the official Mystcraft forums.

Stone tendrils will not generate any instability but the standard ore generation will replace lower levels of stone with ore where appropriate.

Void, Bright, No Weather, Single Biome, Twilight Forest Clearing, Stone, Tendrils, Boundless Sky, Normal Sun, Normal Moon, Normal Stars

Should be stable. Though writing it from the top of my head. Due to a bug with 10.0.0(.0?) some terrain generation stuff causes instability if no Clear Modifiers symbol is placed so might want to throw one in just in case.

Dogt03

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a mining age I primarily created to get Apatite. It's...well...it's not exactly "useless" for other ores, but getting to the other ores is a PITA since it creates a flat world with a surface somewhere around y level 180. Nothing spawns that high except Apatite and Amber, and you'll get A LOT of excess cobble from a quarry set that high.

Extreme Hills, Single Biome, Flat (creates a flat, high-altitude, Extreme Hills biome)
No Weather, Zero Length, Noon, Normal Sun, Normal Moon, Normal Stars (Basically no weather and eternal day)
Standard Lighting
Crystals, Glowstone Crystals, Lakes, Lava Lakes (Adds Mystcraft Crystals and Glowstone on the surface, underground lakes/lava)
Clear Modifiers

For a lower-altitude, more convenient mining age, replace Extreme Hills with another biome (and ONLY ONE biome unless you replace Single Biome with a different biome controller)

I had written up a big tutorial on how to write a stable age, but then my laptop died and I lost the whole thing. I was about to rewrite it when I realized I was just consolidating and rephrasing information from the Symbols page on the Mystcraft wiki. Literally everything you need to know about writing a stable age can be found there.

Hey, i used this setup except i changed extreme hills to plains and removed flat, i kept everything the same right down to the order yet i got a world with weakness II, i'm currently using the ultimate mod pack and dont know if there is some sort of bug in it that prevents me from creating a stable age, but for some reason, i cannot seem to be able to generate any stable ages no matter whose world i follow, i've made the direwolf world several times and always end up with instability

Any help would be appreciated, just want a nice stable age to be able to work in that is always sun, no weather, and plains

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
An Age I Created for Oil (It is unstable but there is no way to counteract this as the Oil page adds instability):

1. {Ocean Biome, Single Biome} {Oil, Stone, Standard Terrain}
2. {Green, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged}
3. {Zero Length, Noon, Normal Sun} {Zero Length, End, Normal Moon} {Normal Stars}
4. {Black, Sky Color} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
5. {Clear Modifiers}

This age includes:

An ocean filled with oil.
Constant green lightning. (Possibly, it could generate with other instability effects)
Constant overhead sun.
Never-rising moon.
A black sky. (Seems logical because of the ocean of oil.)
No weather.

Instability
These all are instability effects that I have seen when generating from the world:

Charged, along with various potion effects.
Various potion effects, I haven't seen any "unlivable" potion effects, such as Poison or Withered.
Crumble, you may want to scrap this age if there is crumble.
None: The age generates with no Oil Ocean and generates various biomes, but there is also no apparent instability.

If the instability is because of an error in my age please tell me because this is the first time I have created an Oil age.
Sorry for putting an unstable age in the "Mystcraft Stable Ages" thread but there is simply no way to rid an age with the Oil symbol of instability.

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Please help:
I cant seem to create this age, i want it to be all End Stone up to extreme hills level, here is what I came up with:

1. {Extreme Hills Biome, Single Biome} {End Stone, Flat}
2. {Zero Length, Noon, Normal Moon} {Zero Length, End, Normal Sun} {Ender Starfield}
3. {Boundless Sky} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
4. {Clear Modifiers}

It generates a stable age most of the time but it does not have flat, high terrain made of End Stone...
I want to create lots of Helium-3 for my fusion reactor :D

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Ooooooorrrrr... You can just use the command / config option to turn Instability off. Problem solved.

Yea I'm pretty sure the owner of the server I'm playing on won't go for that.
Anyway, the age is not unstable, it just doesn't generate how I wrote it.

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Stable End Stone, high Flat stable age credit to keybounce (from the Mystcraft forums) for help with writing:

1. {Extreme Hills Biome, Single Biome} {Water, End Stone, Flat}
2. {Zero Length, Noon, Dark Sun} {Zero Length, End, Dark Moon} {Ender Starfield}
3. {Boundless Sky} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
4. {Clear Modifiers}

Infinite Helium-3 for my fusion reactor :D

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft has changed in the latest versions, there are some new pages and some of the pages names have changed, here are all the ages posted here, fitted to the current version of Mystcraft. These are all ages that have been posted before and converted to be able to write them in the current version of Mystcraft.

Example Lava Age (written by direwolf20)
1. {Linking Panel}
2. {Ocean Biome, Single Biome} {Lava, Stone, Standard Terrain}
4. {Normal Moon, Normal Stars} {Zero Length, Zenith, Normal Sun}
5. {Red, Sky Color} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
6. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a flat lava ocean world with rare islands like a normal ocean biome. Hostile mobs will spawn if there is any place dark enough and neutral mobs will sometimes spawn on the rare islands. It is always day and the sun never moves. the sky is red and there is no weather.​

Stable Void Age (written by me)
1. {Linking Panel}
2. {Mushroom Island Biome, Single Biome} {Void}
3. {Zero Length, Zenith, Dark Sun} {Zero Length, Nadir, Dark Moon} {Ender Starfield}
4. {Boundless Sky} {Standard Lighting} {No Weather}
5. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a void world where no hostile mobs spawn. Mooshroom Cows occasionally spawn. There is no visible sun or moon but lighting is like noon in the overworld. There is no weather. The sky is like that of The End, and there is no haze below the horizon so the ender star-field continues below you as well as above. Solar panels generate as much EU as if it was night in the overworld.​

Apatite Age (written by Ember Quill)
1. {Linking Pane}
2. {Extreme Hills, Single Biome} {Flat}
3. {No Weather} {Zero Length, Zenith, Normal Sun} {Normal Moon} {Normal Stars}
4. {Normal Lighting}
5. {Lakes} {Lava Lakes}
6. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a flat, high-altitude, extreme hills biome which has a height around y:180. It is always day and there is no weather. Lakes generate on the surface and lava lakes generate on the surface and underground.

Note: the original way this age was written would have generated both glowstone crystals and Mystcraft crystals but because the page {Glowstone Crystals} was removed and a new block modifier was added called {Glowstone}, I have omitted both {Crystals} and the nonexistent {Glowstone Crystals} for the sake of clarity.
Oil Age (written by me)
1. {Linking Panel}
2. {Ocean Biome, Single Biome} {Oil, Stone, Standard Terrain}
3. {Green, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged, Charged}
4. {Zero Length, Zenith, Normal Sun} {Zero Length, Nadir, Normal Moon} {Normal Stars}
5. {Black, Sky Color} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
6. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a flat oil ocean world with rare islands like a normal ocean biome. Hostile mobs will spawn if there is any place dark enough. Neutral mobs will sometimes spawn on the rare islands. It is always day and the sun never moves. The sky is black and there is no weather. There is constant green lightning. Various instability effects may include slowness, weakness, mining fatigue, blindness. This age has not generated with wither or poison so far. It will sometimes generates decay and scorched surface. It has not generated with meteors or crumble so far.​

End Stone Age (written by me, with help from keybounce from the Mystcraft forums)
1. {Linking Panel}
2. {Extreme Hills Biome, Single Biome} {Water, End Stone, Flat}
3. {Zero Length, Zenith, Dark Sun} {Zero Length, Nadir, Dark Moon} {Ender Starfield}
4. {Boundless Sky} {No Weather} {Normal Lighting}
5. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a flat, high-altitude, extreme hills biome which has End Stone from bedrock to about y:180. Mobs may spawn. It has lighting like daytime always but neither the sun, nor the moon is visible The sky is an ender star-field and there is no fog obstructing the nadir hemisphere of the sky. There is no weather.

Note: There may have been changes to how the Mystcraft wrighting system works as well as how instability generates in the latest version of Mystcraft. Please PM me if you find instability when you use any of these ages, except for the Oil Age that will always generate with instability.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

H2instinct

Jul 29, 2019
Stable Void Age (written by me)
1. {Linking Panel}
2. {Mushroom Island Biome, Single Biome} {Void}
4. {Boundless Sky} {Standard Lighting} {No Weather}
5. {Clear Modifiers}
Generates a void world where no hostile mobs spawn. Mooshroom Cows occasionally spawn. There is no visible sun or moon but lighting is like noon in the overworld. There is no weather. The sky is like that of The End, and there is no haze below the horizon so the ender star-field continues below you as well as above. Solar panels generate as much EU as if it was night in the overworld.​
Thank you! It worked! However, for some reason with these exact pages (assuming by 'standard lighting' it means 'normal lighting') I got a much different age. It was a void age, but with random wooden pillars and the sun and moon move and are visible. Again, I used exact pages described. Can you help explain why this could be?

Here's a screenshot showing the wood pillar in the background and the moving sun. The moon moves too. It also doesn't light up like noon in the overworld. Any chance you got any ideas why this is happening? Tried the same with a 'desert' biome and normal weather, didn't work.
tb9btqb.png

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that Mystcraft has changed more than I thought in the last few updates...

I read into it and came up with a perfectly working void age. I will post this new void age tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Perfectly fine and stable oil age:

-Desert Oil Field Biome / Single Biome
-Villages / Obelisks / Caves / Dungeons / Mineshafts (this is needed since the grammar system requires a minimal amount of features)
-Flat
-East / Zero Length / Zenith / Normal Sun
-Dark Moon
-Dark Stars
-No Weather
-Normal Lighting
-Natural Cloud Color / Natural Sky Color / Natural Fog Color / Natural Foliage Color / Natural Grass Color / Natural Water Color
-Clear Modifiers

This should give you something similar to a standard Overworld desert oil field, with 0 instability. It's also a eternal day age, so mobs will not spawn on the surface. It may not be a weird ocean of oil but there is still a load of oil to be extracted.

Gus

Jul 29, 2019
New Void Age
I put notes after each ;
1.{Linking Panel}
2.{Mushroom Island Biome, Single Biome} {Void}
3.{Caves} {Caves} {Caves} {Ravines} {Ravines} ; This is to crowd out random terrain modifiers from being added in, no caves/ravines will generate.
4.{Dungeons} {Dungeons} {Dungeons} {Surface Lakes} {Surface Lakes} ; ^ No dungeons/surface lakes will generate.
3.{No Weather} {Bright Lighting} {Boundless Sky} ; Bright lighting will generate lighting like overworld day.
4.{Natural Foliage Color}
5.{Natural Grass Color}
6.{Natural Water Color}
7.{Zero Length, Zenith, Normal Sun} ; Change the Normal Sun to Dark Sun if you do not want a sun overhead.
8.{Dark Sun} {Dark Sun} {Dark Sun} ; Crowding out extra suns, only 4 suns can generate per age.
9.{Zero Length, Nadir, Normal Moon} ; Change the Normal Moon to Dark Moon if you do not want a moon below.
10.{Dark Moon} {Dark Moon} {Dark Moon} ; Crowding out extra moons, only 4 moons generate per age.
11.{Black, Navy, Black, Ender Starfield} ; Feel free to change these color pages but you might not get the color that your looking for.
12.{Dark Stars} {Dark Stars} {Dark Stars} ; Crowding out extra star layers, only 4 per age.
13.{Black, Navy, Black, Sky Color} ; Feel free to change these color pages but you might not get the color that your looking for.
14.{Natural Fog Color}
15.{Natural Cloud Color}
16.{Clear Modifiers}​

This void age will generate as an empty 100% of time, no hostile mobs will spawn, Moo daylight always, Navy blueish sky, one sun overhead, one moon below, there is no weather, natura will generate cloud blocks if you have that installed.