Mystcraft ages and Pages in Chests

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I installed mystcraft and I never really thought about how op certain things can be until now..

Its just to easy to make a plains biome and fly around and have every page there is for mystcraft in no time.

Are the really rare pages in chests? I would like it better if you could Only get the rare pages from trading with villagers.

I love mystcraft as it keeps my main world from getting wrecked by quaries but I also dont want everyone have every page so fast.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
You won't find all the symbols "in no time" - instead, you sooner or later will have doubles or triples of symbols you already have.. meaning, sometime in the future, people on servers with Mystcraft will definitely start trading. And I object that "only villagers" argument, as I've seen symbols offered by them at a full stack of emeralds, which is a ridiculous amount of trading with bread, wheat and books. On top, to me, the prices look somewhat random.. I sure as hell will not trade 64 emeralds for a "yellow" color page. And we're talking about several "creative" pages of symbols all in all - even with several real world hours spent in a flatland you won't be able to get a complete collection quickly. And finally, some symbols are rare finds, if those can be found in chests only I don't know - but even with the libraries they're hard to find. ;)

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
Thing is with a plains biome age you just fly around and you find libraries & thaumcraft totems areas and thaumscraft mounds and great wood trees all in that age and very close to each other. I just would like the really rare pages to only be gotten from villagers, Like the Ore Pages and such.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, because of the random generation of ages and pages, you'll still have to invest quite a lot of time before you get around to finding every page. Yes, if you have gravi suit or modular power suit that let you fly really fast, you'll be able to collect the pages faster, but that too, requires a lot of resources to get. Mystcraft towers are not awfully common in any biome, and not every village generates with a Mystcraft villager. You can also find pages in mystcraft ages in thaumcraft dungeons, regular dungeons, mineshafts, strongholds, etc... All takes quite a bit of exploring, mob fighting/dodging, and of course, time.

Then again, you don't really need all of the symbols, really, just the really good ones. And they're rarer.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah there's plenty of duplicates to be had.
I should know. I have 5 pages for Black and god knows how many Meadows Biome pages. Where's the Normal Sun page when I need it?!

Yes, eventually you'll fill out your notebook, but that takes a lot of time and exploring. If you don't have a mod that increases movement speed, you'll be spending a lot of time looking for pages.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
It's taken me at least a weeks worth of play time to search for all the valid pages that I was after.. it's not as easy as you think

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Aside from all the issues already mentioned, I'd also like to indicate that making a plains biome isn't very "easy" either. First of all, you'll need to have the biome controller plus then the plains biome page. If you get those all in your first created age then you're one lucky youknowwhat :)

Bel*.

foshka

Jul 29, 2019
The current rarity is messed up, I know that much, as is random generation. I've found dozens of libraries, have every biome 2x or more, and still not found one useful terrain gen page, just void and skylands so far. Also, random generating of over 100 ages, only one, an ocean, was not a corrupted, useless, waste of entire gigabytes. This mod is no longer useful to me.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
foshka, you sound kinda bitter. You do remember it's a single person who does all this? Cut XCWiz some slack - it is the 0.10.1 version, more of a beta than a full release. Bugs and wrong settings should be expected, when looking at a free modification of such huge scale done by a single person. And don't compare this to any 1.0 game released by any company ever - as that's a whole different story altogether and not comparable at all.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Well, my experience has been that the only really difficult pages to find are the Block Modifiers, especially the Diamond one, Dense Ores, and some Instability Symbols. The rest have been pretty much evenly randomized. I actually kind of like this, because especially on servers, you can get the trading going on very well, and work on creating some awesome ages. The elusive Mushroom Biome page... Soooo nice. No mobs spawn, perfect for a lot of stuff. Tiny Biomes for the Bee Age... There really isn't a single "Best" Age, so it's all good that most of the symbols seem to fall on the same rarity level. At least that's my opinion.