My new PC

winVIP

Jul 29, 2019
Im Planning to buy a pc and I want your advice. Im want to run a server of FTB Monster and play on it myself. There will be me and 1-2 friends in the server. So if you can tell me what parts should i put in my PC.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Not a good idea to run both server and client on the same computer, just going to say that right off the bat. That said, a good processor (such as a i7/i5) is advised. at least 8 gigabytes of RAM, and a decent GPU(for the client) as well. Number of cores do NOT matter unless you plan to do many things at once on the computer. If you insist on running both client and server on the computer, I suggest at least a 4 core, since you need 2 cores each for server and client for optimal performance. You also need a decent upload and download speed, as well as a good ping.
As far as processor goes. it's the gigahertz that matters. 1-2 gigahertz will probably not be enough.Closer to 3 or 4

But again, I suggest having separate computers for both, especially for a big pack like Monster. I have seen many many threads about people who attempt this with even beasty computers, and run into serious lag as soon as someone logs onto the server from the server computer.

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why everyone says its not a good idea to run client and server on the same PC assuming you have the resources. I do it all the time with zero issues -- 1-3 servers and 1 client.

You will of course need a PC with enough power to handle it. My suggestions:
min 4 core cpu with hyperthreading.
3ghz min clock speed before any turbo stuff. More and higher is better if you can afford it.
8-12gb of ram. 16GB is better.
FAST hdd, or a big SSD

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure why everyone says its not a good idea to run client and server on the same PC assuming you have the resources. I do it all the time with zero issues -- 1-3 servers and 1 client.

You will of course need a PC with enough power to handle it. My suggestions:
min 4 core cpu with hyperthreading.
3ghz min clock speed before any turbo stuff. More and higher is better if you can afford it.
8-12gb of ram. 16GB is better.
FAST hdd, or a big SSD
Hm, maybe if my internet here wasn't crap I could host a server on my laptop.

Hopefully we get beyond the 3rd world level in internet here soon. I wouldn't care if it wasn't 1st world, I just can't accept this 3rd world internet.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Well a gtx 780 will have no effect at all on server performance, and probably very little on the client. My old gtx580 already does 100-300fps on the client, and does a decent job on other 3d games. A 770 or 780 will probably get the same on minecraft and will definately do nicely on other 3d games.

If you want to run a server on your pc, 4 cores or more, and as high a clock speed as you can afford. So if you can afford one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116939

Go for it. Its almost half the cost of my older i7

winVIP

Jul 29, 2019
There is one more question, im not just going to play FTB I want to play games like Planetside 2 or Crysis and other good graphics games like them, so witch of those configurations will do better(a gtx 780 and i5 or gtx 770 and a i7)?

P.S. And thanks for all the helpful advice

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
cpu/ram would likely still be your bottleneck even if you had the i7 and a 780.

if it were my hardware, i'd get the i7/770 and have a better overall gaming rig.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
/devilsadvocate

if he's willing to save up for the 780 and i7, he might as well save up for an 870. and then he might as well save for the 880 because moar, right?

eh.. i've been modding pc's and working IT for a long time now. at that point, it's just pissing into the wind. the waiting trap is a dangerous one; don't fall into it (unless you're building a "trailer queen" PC built strictly to post high benchmark numbers, and such a PC is drastically different than a gaming PC).

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
lian-li pc7b is inexpensive, yet classy.

looks like a solid group of parts. there's a few small things you could do to squeeze more out of it, but for a workhorse gaming pc that list is fine.

winVIP

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to overclock so i think i will need something like a tower, so that the cooling will fit.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning to overclock so i think i will need something like a tower, so that the cooling will fit.
how extreme do you plan on overclocking? if your answer isn't "phase change cooling" it's wrong. being honest, you're not going to get much in the way of real world results from overclocking that cpu. if you're overclocking nowadays, you've basically just resigned yourself to the pursuit of big numbers on flavorofthemonth_benchmark_software. and if you're looking for big numbers, you're either running LN2 or phase change.

for your sanity, i'd just stick with air cooling if you have central air in your house. if you do, you can get very far on air cooling, and you don't even need one of those omfgubarhuge heatsinks to get good returns. i run a noctua in my rig, and i have the case i recommended.

keep in mind ambient temperature is king when air cooling. don't get swept up in the water cooled hype; yeah it's cool, yeah it cools, but it's a pain. been there, done that, will never go back.

if you don't have a/c, i still don't have much sympathy. :p i had an amd barton 2500+ running at 2.1ghz on air cooling with no a/c back in the day. in the middle of summer. uphill both ways in the snow barefoot. whipper snapper.

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
About the box. Really get some solid casing for your build. It makes hell lot of difference. I would go with something from corsair (450D, or 400R or 500R) or if you want to go really crazy go with BitFenix Prodigy (most likely one of best gaming casings on market). I would go with prodigy if I would have a build only for gaming. But since I do use it mainly for crazy stuff I need some more space. Don't get 800W bronze PSU (especially when you want to overclock), get gold one, or at least silver. Will be far more better. Also for don't forget about SSD ADATA SX900 256GB is really good. And for the price is superb. I would sa that 770 is an overkill to play minecraft. I have 560 and I can still play maxed out bioshock. For modern games I would buy 660 or R8 280X. There is no point in paying additional 250-500 euro for 5-10 fps. Also rather than corsair venegance (I have them, I know what they are), I would go with ballistics or beasts. They seems to be far more faster. Also get 12GB or 16GB depending if you mb chipset supports triple or quad channel memory.

If you really want to overclock, get something like corsair H100/110/120 for CPU cooling. Silent, yet super efficient. Noctua maybe is better at tearing down temperature on extreme overclocked systems, but also it sounds like a jet plane.

Any i7 should to just fine to run mc, mc server, a movie an most likely some background tasks in one moment. Also if you really want to go with dedicated GPU I would consider buying Xeon. Nowdays, they are better CPUs than most of i7s but they don't have onboard GPU (which is useless with dedicated one).

PS. If you want to see quite nice builds, check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNovoA9w0KnxyDP5bGrOYzg this youtube channel. They used to have build for every price. And in every build video they also say what other parts you can use.

Last edited:

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to look at when dropping a lot of cash into a PC -- how long do you want it to last? Just until graduation? or until you retire? ... or what?

If you want your pc to last a few years, overclocking is not a good idea. But if your overclocking just to overclock -- then go for it, just make sure you know what your getting into.

As to what graphics card to get? I found it best to get the previous generation flagship card. They are still nice and fast, and you dont have to shell out $400+ for a card. So with the gtx780 at the top of the heap, look at prices for a gtx680. I dont know what the model numbers are for ATI cards, but the same logic applies.

For the case -- get one you like, get a NICE one and plan on keeping it when you upgrade / replace your pc. This will save your $$ down the road, plus you will know exactly what the dimensions are if you are worried about something fitting. My current case is on its 3rd system. so at around $120 per case +shipping x3 systems... thats around $400 in savings over time.