My Issue with the Latest Versions of Thaumcraft

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, its been a while since I played FTB, but seriously, WTF Azanor?

Why did you have to go change a perfectly functioning system with how Essentia is used? Now getting into artficing is a pain in the ***,I do not understand why this had to be changed?

I am referring to how essentia can get "gunked" up in the tubing which makes in next to impossible to perform infusion crafting. Why Azanor?

SoraZodia

Forum Ghost
Third Party Pack Team
Mod Developer
Mar 11, 2014
As far as I heard, it was due to lag caused by having multiple essentia in the system.
It is annoying on how the essentia gunk up but it's not next to impossible.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, its been a while since I played FTB, but seriously, WTF Azanor?

Why did you have to go change a perfectly functioning system with how Essentia is used? Now getting into artficing is a pain in the ***,I do not understand why this had to be changed?

I am referring to how essentia can get "gunked" up in the tubing which makes in next to impossible to perform infusion crafting. Why Azanor?
Along with what Sora said, I believe Azanor also wants people to use the golems instead of solely using the tubing. P.S. You can use phials on the alembics.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think Azanor intended for those pipes to the the be all end all solution to essentia transportation.
Probably wanted that role to be filled by those derpy ass golems.
It didn't affect me though, I do most of my Thaumcraft manually, there's very few things in that mod that really need to be automated.
You do know you can empty an alembic manually with a jar right?

Reactions: egor66

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah but thats BS, Servers ran fine with the tube method of essentia transport, I have never had any issues in regards to lag and Thaumcraft with the exception of those huge Thaumic goos.

lcd

Jul 29, 2019
If the golem isn't fast enough for you, you could always make a 2 wide path along your jars out of MFR road, it makes the golem run really fast, I've never had any pathing issues, I recently lined the MFR road with paving stone of warding even though the golem was never running off the road, still no issues

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
If the golem isn't fast enough for you, you could always make a 2 wide path along your jars out of MFR road, it makes the golem run really fast, I've never had any pathing issues, I recently lined the MFR road with paving stone of warding even though the golem was never running off the road, still no issues
I don't think the speed matters, seems like he's set to be annoyed/ pissed. Frankly I don't like how unreliable golems are and avoid using them if I can. If it's not their derpy AI that annoys me, it it's how they can vanish due to Vanilla entity bugs.

I also do't think it was a server performance thing as you can still set up essentia tube systems only they'd need to be bigger and possibly laggier. The change I think was purely philosophical, Azanor didn't intend on the pipes being used that way, that and or he saw golems being neglected.

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
How it works now is perfect IMO. Pipes are for precision task. Automated alchemy, producing ignis for infernal furnace producing herba for lamps etc. Golems are for greater scale.

How can you say it makes it near impossible to make infusion crafting? Put alchemy golem and he will fill all the jars for you simple efficient and lag free.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
How it works now is perfect IMO. Pipes are for precision task. Automated alchemy, producing ignis for infernal furnace producing herba for lamps etc. Golems are for greater scale.

How can you say it makes it near impossible to make infusion crafting? Put alchemy golem and he will fill all the jars for you simple efficient and lag free.
And if you have issues with the setup being near the infusion altar use mirrors, they will transport essentia from a remote location to your infusion altar IIRC

Reactions: RedBoss and Feniks

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the speed matters, seems like he's set to be annoyed/ pissed. Frankly I don't like how unreliable golems are and avoid using them if I can. If it's not their derpy AI that annoys me, it it's how they can vanish due to Vanilla entity bugs.

I also do't think it was a server performance thing as you can still set up essentia tube systems only they'd need to be bigger and possibly laggier. The change I think was purely philosophical, Azanor didn't intend on the pipes being used that way, that and or he saw golems being neglected.
Yeah but thats BS, Servers ran fine with the tube method of essentia transport, I have never had any issues in regards to lag and Thaumcraft with the exception of those huge Thaumic goos.

Okay so Azanor officially said when the change was implement that it was due to lag issues that people reported with essentia tubes the fact that you didn't experience lag doesn't mean it wasn't there.

As to being able to build complex, laggy tubes. well no mod author can stop people from being stupid. If you build extremely complex system to perform simple task then lag is your fault. I can drop server to it's knees with vanilla furnaces and hoppers if I build it complex enough.

However I agree that there is nothing more annoying than golems loading before world loads and falling into a void altough it is very rare.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so Azanor officially said when the change was implement that it was due to lag issues that people reported with essentia tubes the fact that you didn't experience lag doesn't mean it wasn't there.

As to being able to build complex, laggy tubes. well no mod author can stop people from being stupid. If you build extremely complex system to perform simple task then lag is your fault. I can drop server to it's knees with vanilla furnaces and hoppers if I build it complex enough.

However I agree that there is nothing more annoying than golems loading before world loads and falling into a void altough it is very rare.

It's not complexity it's just that golems are about as unreliable as those nerfed pipes. If they are not falling through the world they are getting trapped in the most innane places. It doesn't bother me much as I do magic mods mostly manual. And I do sometimes use golems but I make sure they are in a predictable and confined environment.

I refuse to use Steve's Carts for the same reasons, any automation reliant on a mob entitys I am always leery of. Sad thing is these problems aren't the modders fault as the mobs going bye bye is a vanilla quirk.

lcd

Jul 29, 2019

I get it...

There have been times in the past when my furnace golem would stand on a skull I had setup around the infusion altar and just spin, there have been times where he would try to get on top of the second row of jars rather then just running right to said jar and there were times when I'd have the area in front of my jars lined with paving stones of warding and the golem would just sit in 1 spot and run into that invisible wall but the only time I had those issues is when I built my infusion altar fairly close to my jars...the jars can be pretty far away, every jar in this image is in range, even the ones in the far corners...

Another thing that works for me is to have my alchemical furnace in a corner like this, I've been doing that in every world I've made and not once have I had any issues with golem pathing, he can only go in 2 directions so its impossible for him to do anything except deliver the essentia to the jars

This all assuming your problems with golems is their pathing

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

How is it BS that the mod author used a pipe as a stop gap until his intended method was implemented, if you have been a fan of TC for a year or 2 you will have seen the progression of the mod from its starting days to now, there are not many things from the first version left in TC now, & by the time the AUTHOR is happy with HIS work it may not even resemble what we have now, get over it use the mod or dont just dont whine about one of the best & most interesting mods in any of the packs.[DOUBLEPOST=1402855937][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well you're gonna be truly pissed with node mechanics in 1.7. I await your rage.

Yeah gonna have to think about setups & plan things out well in advance, but looking forward to that version.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Well you're gonna be truly pissed with node mechanics in 1.7. I await your rage.
What? New mechanics?

I get it...

There have been times in the past when my furnace golem would stand on a skull I had setup around the infusion altar and just spin, there have been times where he would try to get on top of the second row of jars rather then just running right to said jar and there were times when I'd have the area in front of my jars lined with paving stones of warding and the golem would just sit in 1 spot and run into that invisible wall but the only time I had those issues is when I built my infusion altar fairly close to my jars...the jars can be pretty far away, every jar in this image is in range, even the ones in the far corners...

Another thing that works for me is to have my alchemical furnace in a corner like this, I've been doing that in every world I've made and not once have I had any issues with golem pathing, he can only go in 2 directions so its impossible for him to do anything except deliver the essentia to the jars

This all assuming your problems with golems is their pathing
Make designated pathways for golems

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The golems are fine once you figure out what causes the major derps. I have a setup now with only 1 golem and the bottleneck in his work is because I'm crafting KAMI items that need tons of essentia. Having 2 golems and lots of upgrades makes a difference.

But I can't figure out the new pipes for automatic alchemy. Maybe my patience is too low but I can't get it to work. I've just taken my crucible outside and do it manually. That way taint doesn't get all over my base.

In 1.7, larger nodes bully the small ones and feed off of them. There are devices to control this action, but the days of just dropping nodes near each other around a recharge stand are changing.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The golems are fine once you figure out what causes the major derps. I have a setup now with only 1 golem and the bottleneck in his work is because I'm crafting KAMI items that need tons of essentia. Having 2 golems and lots of upgrades makes a difference.

But I can't figure out the new pipes for automatic alchemy. Maybe my patience is too low but I can't get it to work. I've just taken my crucible outside and do it manually. That way taint doesn't get all over my base.

In 1.7, larger nodes bully the small ones and feed off of them. There are devices to control this action, but the days of just dropping nodes near each other around a recharge stand are changing.
No
NO
NOOOOOOO

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Screw Golems. I ain't touching TC until Thaumic Integration comes out. App Eng Essentia ho!

I know the MO of like 99% of FTB players is "Automate all the things!!" but to be frank I don't see many aspects of Thaumcraft that NEED automation nor do I find it makes Thaumcraft more convenient to have full jars of essentia automated.
But not ever touching it until it has ME integration... I'd cal it silly if it wasn't such an inflammatory thing to say lol. I'm not saying it should never have it but at least IMO Thaumcraft is still very useable with out technological assistance.

Edit:

Not really, it just has an added step. There's a node containment field thing that allows you to drop nodes like you did before in a less convenient manner.