My friend can't play on a 32bit system?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Title:
My friend can't play on a 32bit system?
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
Horizons
Modpack Version:
1.6.4 (Minecraft version)
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
So, me and my friend we're trying to play minecraft. Since we were using the aternos services (awesome site btw), there is no way the fault is on something related to servers.

My friend had a lot of crashes before I saw that he played the game with the files installed directly on the zip (facepalm), I told him to move them to the desktop and it appeared he stopped getting windows errors. But everytime he did one of those things:

1 - Trying turning Vsync off
2 - trying to stay 10 seconds on the server
3 - move his character 5 feet

His game crashed.

He said to me that was probably because his pc was 32 bit and 64 bit runs better (my pc is 64 bit).
This is horribly wrong mostly because I use a laptop and I would surely get less fps than him (I play portal 2 on 600x400, which consumes less performance than FTB itself, common) because he has a desktop.

He said he would try installing 64 bit java, is this a good idea? Or should we try something else?

Also, I liked the new illuminati modpack: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-news-august-15th-2015.106106/

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
I think a good idea would be to post a crash log when asking for help with crashes.

Tho I'm still curious. Why in the world does he have a 32bit system still?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
32 bit Java only limits FTB to using 1.5 gigs of ram, which is less than ideal for many packs.

As far as I'm concerned, 64-bit Java is not compatible with a 32-bit OS, so he would have to get a new PC.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
32 bit Java only limits FTB to using 1.5 gigs of ram, which is less than ideal for many packs.

As far as I'm concerned, 64-bit Java is not compatible with a 32-bit OS, so he would have to get a new PC.

(I think my pc get less RAM anyway)

is there a way to fix that ram problem?

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Upgrade to 64-bit Java, which is incompatible with 32-bit OS, like what I said.

Only choice is to get a new PC.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
a 32 bit system can only use about 3GB RAM, and 32 bits java is hardcoded to only allow a max memory of 1 GB or so.
The only thing he can try if his hardware is capable of running a 64 bit os is to install one.
If he doesn't know for sure he can try and run a 64 bit Linux distro before buying/ getting in some other way a 64 bit windows.
He probably doesn't even have to install Linux as some distrobutions offers live disks
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Wut? How old is your mates computer? What's he running? Vista or something?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Wut? How old is your mates computer? What's he running? Vista or something?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
32 bits windows 7 exist and the same can be said about windows 8.
It may just his friend not knowing the disadvantages of a 32 bit os when he bought the computer

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
Well tell your friend to update into 64bit system (should check first if his hardware supports it tho)

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a way to like edit the java configs or something? To not limit the ram?

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Is there a way to like edit the java configs or something? To not limit the FPS?
It doesn't limit the FPS and there is no way to change it.
The max memory a 32 bit java program can use is set to make sure you don't starve the OS and maybe because other reasons that I don't know about

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry, I meant RAM
No, there is no java config to allocate mopre memory than bitness allows. If he is running 32-bit java in 64-bit OS he should install 64-bit java. If running 32-bit OS with 64-bit CPU then OS should be updated. If running 32-bit hardware then hardware should be updated.

Techinacal explanations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_limit#32-bit_x86_RAM_limit and https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
on wikipedia said that limits to 4ram ._. this isn't an actual bad thing is it?

But yeah the first played crashed everytime he tried to put off openGL or even playing (When he started a singleplayer map it crashed when he opened multiplayer it crashed after 10 seconds)

My second friend when the minecraft opened it crashed (when he got to the main menu it crashed)

My third friend got a badass pc and he is going to test it, and we'll see the results. If he can't, oh well

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
on wikipedia said that limits to 4ram ._. this isn't an actual bad thing is it?
That is the maxium for the whole computer, and for modded minecraft that is a bad thing as currently it seems a god idea to allocate 4GB of RAM to minecraft and if your computer only has 4 then you will starve the OS and every other program that you have running.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
That is the maxium for the whole computer, and for modded minecraft that is a bad thing as currently it seems a god idea to allocate 4GB of RAM to minecraft and if your computer only has 4 then you will starve the OS and every other program that you have running.
It is not that simple. Some operating systems can use PAE to get more usable memory for OS but per process memory limit will be increased only by changing to 64-bit OS.

It might be possbile to use -Xmx1500M with 32-bit windows but launcher limits max RAM allocation to 1 GB just to launcher safer for users(no malloc fails).

In summary: for OP: please post a full log. Currently we guessing and making assumptions. Real facts makes troubleshooting easier. install 64-bit java or OS. Solution: install 64-bit java and/or OS. (is there enough RAM?)